Favourite Pubs in Union Steet (The Strazzer)

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Greendeath, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used to love going into a lot of the pubs in Union Street. My favourites were the Long Bar, Noahs Ark, the PR, Two Twigs, The Star (Later The Street), The Pheonix, the JJ Moor, the Clarence, The Malthouse, The Hackneey & Carriage, the Clipper etc etc before heading for Two's Up, Boobs, Ziggy's or Cascades. I reckon the strazzer is or was one of the best runsashore in the world. I also bet a lot of these pubs no longer exist!!

What's the census of opinion?

Greendeath

2. What's the census of opinion?

Greendeath[/quote]

Don't know what you're talking about GD. Never been in any of them 'cos my usual route to church kept me away from Union Street. I certainly would never have been in the Sir Jeremy because I would have hated a King's Badgeman called Bold pulling me a pint.

As for stealing the bull-fighter's spear out of the Noah's Ark........I know nothing about that one or the fight outside the Antelope when I was collecting for the Salvation Army.

I was innocent; it was a big lad wot dun it and ran away.

RM

3. Don't know what you're talking about GD. Never been in any of them 'cos my usual route to church kept me away from Union Street. I certainly would never have been in the Sir Jeremy because I would have hated a King's Badgeman called Bold pulling me a pint.

As for stealing the bull-fighter's spear out of the Noah's Ark........I know nothing about that one or the fight outside the Antelope when I was collecting for the Salvation Army.

I was innocent; it was a big lad wot dun it and ran away.

RM[/quote]

Good lad!! :wink: :lol:

4. What was the bombed out church called at the top of union street. Was that the one you went to.

Just for reference, up from Noahs on the roundabout?

Cheers

Greendeath

5. Steady on GD..........if I wouldn't admit to being in the Sir Jeremy Moore; there's no way that you are going to pin the bombing of Charles Cross Church on me.

It was a big Luftwaffe wot dun it and ran away

Cheers Mate :lol:

6. You've being nowhere until you've done the Palace in Rosyth!

7. Favourite has to be The Two Twigs. Last time I was there was in 95 when I done the 8 before 8 and still have the t-shirt. Do they still do that. I guess nowadays it would be called binge drinking!

8. The Talbot in Union Street was my local , now a garage alas , but the Union Street of long ago has gone for good , just stick to the Workies now , could'nt stand the modern music now , aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhh

9. The Star of the West (Good Cider House)

The Grand

The Bier Kellar

Castaway 2000

Commodores

The Eagle

Showing my age now

10. Nice one on the bombed out church.

The Star of The West, nice cider. Too true my friend. It was scrumpy as well. There was a pint called half & half. Half rough and half sweet cider. It was cheap and blew yer socks off. I used to sink a couple of them as warmers into the butts and then head down the strazzer for some fun.

Cheers

Greendeath

11. My personal fav in The Star of the West was called "Rock and Roll"

1/2 Coates Dry + 1/2 Huddlestones Vintage

Could be the same drink

12. Used to love most of the bars in the 80's and in no particular order...

Two Twigs
    Long Bar
    The Antelope
    London Bars
    PR
    The Castle (Diamond Lils)
    The Eagle
    Noahs Ark (Spanish Bars)
    Trader Jacks
    Boobs or Commodores, when the pubs kicked out at 11.

Can remember The Eagle and Noahs Ark being bootie strongholds and them all drinking cans of 'Breaker' cider and crushing them afterwards to try and frighten us matelots. :)

Can remember many a scrap in the Octogon at club kicking out time, usually at the taxi rank.

13. Twiggs

PR's - until they made it into some fluffy 70's bar!

14. Let's not forget the Minerva. The Min had darkened rafters and hand-drawn Vints from the barrel. Tucked away at the top end of Bretonside and not strictly on Union Strasse it was close to the No.58 bus arriving from Bickleigh and Crownhill, loaded to the gunwhales with thirsty, steely-eyed, dealers in death and destruction. Seemed the logical rally-point to yamsing and ease-springs before heading west for the delights of The Street proper.

RM

15. I like the Bank for a quiet pint, twigs is OK but always seem to end up in the Clipper at the end of the night. A lot of the pubs mentioned are/were not actually in Union street but still made up part of a run ashore down the strip.

16. The Bank is still there then. Must be some kind of record as modern bars go. That was probably one of the last pubs I was in, in '90, when it was new.
    Not being a Guz rate, I often wondered what the attraction was with Union Strasse, going ashore to escape Pusser, and boozing with hundreds of other matelots.

17. Matelots had their haunts, bootnecks had theirs. The gronks were plentiful and the runashore memorable. The Strazzer was fabulous I thought.

Greendeath

18. Dingar, you've just cleared away a few cobwebs my friend. It is the same drink except you have its name right. It was called Rock and Roll.

Cheers

Greendeath