Favourite Book

So we all know the Sharpe books but Bernard Cornwell also has written some cracking books about the early days of British history.
The series The Archers tale, Vagabond and Heretic are a trilogy of books called the "Grail Quest".
Set in the 1300's it is about an Archer who fights in France at Crecy and other battles, and his adventure.
The books are stand alone novels but the story continues through the series.
Well worth a skeg.

Any of the Kai Lung books by Joseph Bramah (Very densely written, but extremely subtle humour and some wonderful aphorisms.)

Any of the first 10 or so of the Aubrey Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian. (No more needs to be said here, I think)

The Collected Works of Lord Macaulay. (Some bloody good, rousing poems in the old Victorian style.)

Any Viz Annual. (I am that puerile.)

Julian by Gore Vidal (A good story, very well told, about the last pagan Roman Emperor)

Runner up - London's Metropolitan Railway by Alan A Jackson (All you need to know about the most wonderful railway in the world, in space.)

I used to love reading about Lord Nelson and also about how people used to get hit over and knocked out and then they where serving at sea, I think the term was press gangs correct me if i am wrong.

SWS Fag

Lantern Swinger
I used to love reading about Lord Nelson and also about how people used to get hit over and knocked out and then they where serving at sea, I think the term was press gangs correct me if i am wrong.
That's what happened to most of the old and bold on here by the sounds of it!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Just finished The twelve by Stuart Neville, its about Norn Irland, an IRA killer who, to silence his ghosts, goes after the people who fingered his victims, very gritty and well worth a read if you come across it

I tend to read factual military history and I would list the following as my favourites...

1) The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer - memoir (there tends to be a debate as to whether it is a true story or not) of a young French lad from Alsace who joins the German Army and is sent to Russia. Have read this numerous times down the years and still one of the very best memoirs.

2) War Without Garlands by Robert Kershaw - covers Operation Barbarossa and the German failure to take Moscow.

3) Guns Of Victory by George Blackburn - memoir of a Canadian artillery forward observer who landed in Normandy just after D-Day.

4) Island Of Fire by Jason D Mark - concentrates on the battle for the Barrikady Factory in Stalingrad.

5) Fireforce: One Mans War In The Rhodesian Light Infantry by Chris Cocks.

And the one I would recommend...

With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge - memoir of a US Marine during the Pacific War and the fighting at Peleliu and Okinawa. Probably the best memoir I have ever read.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Just got HMS Leviathan second hand through Amazon. I read this as a young man and it is one of a few books that really made an impression on me. The story of how human being have to come together/be brought together to work as a team is really well written. The story is of the Commander drafted to a newly commissioned aircraft carrier which has had a series of serious incidents leading to the commission being cut short and many of the officers drafted from the ship, under a cloud but not on disciplinary. The Commander has to bring the ship's crew together to hand to the Captain a fully functioning warship ready to all events. However, the spectre of a 'Jinxed' ship permeates both the Wardroom and Lower Decks. Needless to say, the Air Wing do not come out of this smelling of roses!

Cracking book and one I would suggest people get a hold of either like me through Amazon or if possible, nick it from your best mate's bookshelf! It is a great tale of human nature and how capricious men can be.

A_G, you might like "Very Ordinary Seaman" by J. P. W Mallalieu if you haven't already read it. Story about young ratings going through basic and getting selected for officer training.

To qualify they have to do a spell on North Atlantic convoy duty as ordinary seamen on a small destroyer first. A cracking read about how life was on the lower deck during the convoy runs ending in some graphicly described small ship gun action before the survivors eventually get sent off for officer training.

The old school on here will have a few memories stirred when he describes the basic training from getting on the train to join up to leaving the shore establishment.

Just finished The twelve by Stuart Neville, its about Norn Irland, an IRA killer who, to silence his ghosts, goes after the people who fingered his victims, very gritty and well worth a read if you come across it
That one's been made into a good film as well, fairly recent.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That one's been made into a good film as well, fairly recent.
Not sure it's the same book, although the author claims the rights have been optioned by Craig Ferguson ("Late, Late Show"). Are you not thinking of "Fifty Dead Men Walking" based on the memoirs of Martin Gartland ("Fifty Dead Men Walking: The Terrifying True Story of a Secret Agent Inside the IRA" and "Dead Man Running") about his time as a member of the Belfast IRA, his recruitment as a British double agent and subsequent shooting by his former terrorist colleagues.

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
I feel inadiqate and sad

1 Lord of the rings
2 Name of the wind
3 The painted man
4 Mort (discworld)
5 Spellsinger series (absolutly hillarious)

The Hobbit - Tolkein
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
All of the A Song of Ice and Fire series ( A Game of Thrones) - George R R Martin
Harry Potter series - J K Rowling
Some of Andy McNab's books
The Chronicles of Narnia - C S Lewis
Just started reading Dune by Frank Herbert

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
To name but a few...
Gallipoli by Peter Hart - because some of my research was included within the pages.
The Gardens of Hell, Battles of the Gallipoli Campaign by Patrick Gariepy - because my research was included within the pages.
The Final Whistle by Stephen Cooper - because my research was included within the pages.
Forgotten Voices of The Great War by Max Arthur.
Chavasse, Double VC by Ann Clayton.

SP. :p

Last edited:
To name but a few...
Gallipoli by Peter Hart - because some of my research was included within the pages.
The Gardens of Hell, Battles of the Gallipoli Campaign by Patrick Gariepy - because my research was included within the pages.
The Final Whistle by Stephen Cooper - because my research was included within the pages.
Forgotten Voices of The Great War by Max Arthur.
Chavasse, Double VC by Ann Clayton.

SP. :p
On a similar note, I have "Gallipoli" by L.A. Carlyon on my bookshelf plus Max Arthurs "Last Post" which is a book of interviews Max did with 21 veterans of WW1 (including Harry Patch, whose biography I also have).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirlin Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 28
matt93 The Quarterdeck 50
chieftiff The Book Club 21