Favourite Book

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
2_deck_dash said:
sweetpea said:
The Somme, by Peter Hart.

They Called it Passchendaele: The Story of the Battle of Ypres and of the Men Who Fought in it, by Jane MacDonald.

Before Endeavours Fade, by Rose E.B. Coombes. A Guide to the Battlefields of the First World War - I never visit France & Flanders without this book!

Any of the "Voices of WWI" series, by Max Arthur.

The History of the V.C. By Max Arthur.

SP.
I love all the Max Arthur books.

Currently re-reading great uncle 2_Deck's book about his experiences on D-Day: 'Assault on the Guns of Merville' which is a cracking read.

Your avatar is still giving me naughty thoughts.
I also like all Max Arthur books, they are a collection of living history. Stories are told by those who were there, and in their own words. Brilliant!

I am being perhaps a little biased with selecting The Somme as a favourite book, although it is a very good read, however, the author Peter Hart is a friend of mine. Some of my own research will be included in his new book, Gallipoli - this book will be published in October later this year. I can't wait to read it! :wink:

Oh, the Merville Battery? ... I've been there. :lol:

SP.

PS, Helpful tip: To avoid having naughty thoughts, don't look at my avatar. :lol:

As far as my feet will carry me - Josef M Bauer. Tells the story of a captured german soldier during the second world war. Forced to work in a concentration camp in Siberia mining lead he escapes. This book tells his true story of his 8000 mile journey across Siberia the best book I've ever read.

Atrocity week - Andrew McCoy. The most violent book I've read about people hunting in south afrika think it's not being published anymore can't get it in any book shop but amazon sent me a copy for six quid

tug1970

Lantern Swinger
I have books that I fond of but my favourite book is chrysalis by john wyndham I always enjoy reading and still do at least once a year

W

white_mafia

'Beyond Top Secret' by Timothy Good

The Company by Robert Littell

Any novel by Gerald Seymour

Any of the Thomas Harris Trilogy

Shadows of forgotten ancestors by carl Sagan

I am currently reading No Ordinary War by Christian Prag. It's the story of U-604. It not only deals with the life on board in some detail, but is occasionally humourous, like the rating who performed a valve pigs in the heads and ended up wearing the contents. :( Or worse, in antoher boat somebody emptied the tanks from the heads whilst submerged. The resulting trail of floaters was spotted by the RAF and bombed-- shitty death or what.
I got the book on loan from Portsmouth City Council library service via the Army Library Service, thanks Portsmouth.

Another book I have just finished is Irons Coffins by Herbert Werner, a U-boot captain. The book makes somewhat depressing reading, alone the title indicates the nature of the book. At the end I almost felt sorry for him.

Yes U-604 The Laughing Swordfish the emblem of the 9th U- Flotilla. But U604 first emblem was that of a dolphin diving into the waves. Because Holtring had served in the Naval air arm, before transfering to the U Boat service.

Best book...... Killing Ground by Douglas Reeman. one of the first novels I ever read and his way of making you feel as though its happening around you is amazing. I read it again every few months usually.

The other 4:

Cross of Iron by Willi Heinrich
Das Boot by Lothar Gunther Bucheim
The Great Siege by Ernle Bradford
The Iron pirate by Douglas Reeman

Going to break the rules a little bit however and say that The Thirty-Nine Steps and Greenmantle by John Buchan are also real favorites of mine and along with The Killing Ground make up my trio of well worn travelling novels that go everywhere when I travel. They are 2 books that I think every lover of literature must read as they are gripping and entertaining in a way that most modern work is unable to attain

Dan

Lord of the Rings favorite of all time.

The Last Whales by Lloyd Abbey is a fantastic read all from the prespective of the whale in a loney, decimated ocean looking for a mate. Very sad book if it was a film you could class it as a chick flic but don't let that put you off, cracking read.

Concur with Bikerman > Lord of the Rings.

A real riveting read I had last year was when my son bought me a copy of "The Hitler Book". Its fascinating reading, not just from the historical point of view, but it gives an insight into Hitlers Id, by his nearest and dearest.
Another book I have had my nose stuck in of late is D-Day 1944, dual authored by Robin Neillands, and Roderick De Normann. Its A series of short accounts of personal experiences and observations of the veterans of the period directly proceeding and preceding landing.

And another great that history, or anthropologists of Britain might care to read is Warrior Race, by Lawrence James. An insight into why the British character is so readily aggressive. It could help you Devon dwellers understand your local friendly neighbour hood Chavs.

Novel - HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean
Non-Fiction - Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner

I'm also a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and Douglas Adams' Hithchikers Guide...

favourite book? always hard given the amount read durin the years at sea and now retired.....but...

1)anything by wilbur smith, a conpendulem would be ace to base.
2the red sailor by john/patrick o'hara. the good old navy with the tot. run ashore with james varne.... yes sir.
3)requiem for a wren by neville shute. read it loads of times, still good.
4)beware of the dog by brian moore. hard man, intelligent man. front row personified,

love to fit in stacks more but due to the restrictions......

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
1. Foundation by Isaac Azimov
2. Lord of The Rings by Tolkien
3. Stone by Joe Donnelly (used to be a journalist from up near where I lived)
4. The Stand by Steven King
5. IT by Steven King

Thought I had posted on this thread before but could not see it

:evil3: The greatest book ever written From Here to Eternity by james Jones.everything and anything by John Stienbeck,Somebody up there Likes Me. Rocky Graziano, The sequel to From Here To Eternity, Whistle, Saturday Night and Sunday morning. The Ragmans Daughter. by Alan Sillitoe. Anything by Robert Rauk and Herman Woulks laundry list would be worth a scan:censored:

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Sailing Alone Round the World....Capt. Joshua Slocum.
Aything by Neville Shute, Leslie Thomas, Alistair Maclean or James A Mithchener.
Read every book written by Louis L'amour.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirlin Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 28
matt93 The Quarterdeck 50
chieftiff The Book Club 21