Favourite Book

andym

War Hero
Any of the Sven Hassel Series.
LOTR By JRR Tolkein.
Any of the Sharpe Series.
Any of the Mathew Hervey Series by Joh Mallinson.
The Corean Chronicles by JR Modesitt,Jr.

Ghostboat by George E Simpson and Neal Burger,
tale of an American boat that surfaces 60 years after going down but in perfect working order.
ITV made a film of it with David Jason but sadly didnt come up to the same quality as the book.

hisdumbwaiter

Midshipman
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Then a whole bunch of other stuff that I forget right now.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Currently working my way through the David Peace "Red Riding" quartet ("1974", "1977", "1980", "1983").

Despite my occupation I am not a great lover of crime novels, but these have echoes of James Ellroy and Jake Arnott. If you like 'Life on Mars' you'll enjoy these books, which follow a policeman and a newspaper journalist's life in Yorkshire at the time of the Ripper murders.

:thumright:

I heard you had the complete, unabridged, "Janet & John" series, SPB., although the print is getting illegible from you following it with your grubby finger.

scouse

War Hero
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand :thumright: The jockey swallowed the egg of a tapeworm, to loose weight!!!! Red Pollard :w00t:

sadindiefreak

Midshipman
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis easily the best book I have ever read, sick as f***.
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh.
Headhunters - John King
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
Head On/Repossesed - Julian Cope

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett - the first of his that I read. Laughed a lot.
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - because I'm an atheist.
Winter King: The Arthur Trilogy by Bernard Cornwell - technically that's 3.
Moonfleet by J Meade-Faulkner. Read it as a boy and was spellbound by it.
Devils Guard - can't remember the author. Excellent insight into fighting "freedom fighters" and a true story.

Of these, recommended are Good Omens if you like a good laugh, and The God Delusion if you want a different perspective on religious thought.

C20

Badgeman
1. Anything by Larry Niven - didn't think I was in to sci-fi until I read the Ringworld series.
2. Insomnia by Stephen King - there's just something about this book that keeps drawing me back.
3. 1984 by George Orwell - in a class of its own really.
4. The Most Wanted by Jaqueline Mitchard - this is one for the girls really but I can read this book over and over and not get sick of it.
5. LOTR by Tolkien - nothing more need be said about these.

I could go on and on: 6 would be The House of Stairs by William Sleator which is technically for teenagers but could be read by anyone and is in the vein of 1984.

Quantum

Badgeman
Sci Fi:
1. The Prefect; Alastair Reynolds. Unputdownable prequel to Chasm City set in his best realised universe, best book of any genre I read last year.
2. Use of Weapons; Ian M Banks. Brilliantly written like all Banks' sci fi, imv this just pips 'Against a Dark Background' and 'Excession' as his Masterpiece.

Fantasy:
1. Memories of Ice; Steven Erikson. Third book in his ten volume Malazan Book of the Fallen, this one is the most balanced and readable of all (though the ninth, Dust of Dreams is shaping up well). If you're looking for Elves and sh!t look elsewhere :) Still rates as one of the best fiction books I have ever read.
2. In fact if it's Elves you want accept no substitute, yes it's Lord of the Rings, first read it when I was 12 and been redoing it every couple of years since.

Crime:
1. Gorky Park, Martin Cruz Smith's compelling first outing of Arkady Renko, downtrodden cold war Moscow detective.
2. Last Bus to Woodstock; Colin Dexter. First Morse book I read, brilliant.

Non-Fiction:
1. Michael Palin, the Python years. First volume of Palin's diaries gives insight into the wheelings and dealings of the Pythons, Compulsive reading.
2. Margrave of the Marshes, John Peel's posthumous autobiography, witty and well observed.

Text Books:
1. The Social Construction of Reality, Berger and Luckmann (1966), Set me off on a journey which is still
nowhere near completion
2. Women, Fire and Dangerous Things, George Lakoff (1990), another port of call, Lakoff's conceptual framework based on the use of metaphor

Others:
Anything by Nicholas Monsarrat esp, the Ancient Mariner
Small Gods, Terry Pratchett, another all time favourite - Pterry's critique on religion manages to be both funny and tragic at the same time. Any other Pratchett...
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe. Great stories
Tom Sharpe; the Throwback, loved this best of all his books, though Wilt came a close second.
The Chronicles of Morgaine; C J Cherryh's exceptional Fantasy/Sci-fi crossover for the writing alone..

crikey, I'd best stop now.. (Currently reading Unseen Academicals (Pratchett) and Dust of Dreams (Erikson) with the second volume of the Palin diaries waiting and the first book of the last volume of the interminably long Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan as interpreted by his widow and a guy name of Brandon Sanderson, which is on order and only because I swore I'd finish the thing off if I lived long enough (I have obviously read the rest with the exception of Crossroads of Twilight which consisted of nearly a thousand pages of women adjusting their clothing and is even more tedious than 'the Worm Oroborus' which at least had the excuse of being written in the sixteenth century)

jesse

War Hero
:study: From Here to Eternity, James Jones, The complete works of James Lee Burke, John Steinbeck , John Grisham, Alan Sillitoe. how much time have you got? :roll: I could go on forever :eek: I'll leave it a there. 8)

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Here are a few goodies for you to try:

The Name of the Rose By Umberto Eco (a classic by any standard)

Anyhting written by Amin Maalouf (beautifully written, these books will enrich your spirit - I appreciate that sounds a bit wet, but trust me on this)

Captain Scott by Ranulph Fiennes (brilliant biography)

The Worst Journey in the World By Apsley Cherry Garrard (makes you realise how easy you have it)

For thick ear thrillers I would recommend:
Vince Flynn - (The Mitch Rapp protagonist is a all American cock with a needlessly big chip on his shoulder)

Matthew Reilly (idiotic but breathless pace, will distract you for a while if you are having a tough time of it)

Jack Du'Brul (pretty decent with an unconventional lead character who is a geologist)

That is it for the moment.

Scouse_Scribes

Lantern Swinger
Not in any particular order but I think they are all great books

Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks - True story of his time working for the SOE devising codes for agents dropped behind enemy lines and his efforts to make them safer despite the military hierarchy.

The Green Mile - Stephen King - much better than the film and thats one of my fave ever films

Needful things - Stephen King

The Last Tommy - Harry Patch - Just finished it off, very humbling read about a great man.

The memoirs of a hangman, the biography of Albert Pierpointe, the last hangman- made into a drama with Timothy Spall as Albert.

sweetpea

War Hero
The Somme, by Peter Hart.

They Called it Passchendaele: The Story of the Battle of Ypres and of the Men Who Fought in it, by Jane MacDonald.

Before Endeavours Fade, by Rose E.B. Coombes. A Guide to the Battlefields of the First World War - I never visit France & Flanders without this book!

Any of the "Voices of WWI" series, by Max Arthur.

The History of the V.C. By Max Arthur.

SP.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
sweetpea said:
The Somme, by Peter Hart.

They Called it Passchendaele: The Story of the Battle of Ypres and of the Men Who Fought in it, by Jane MacDonald.

Before Endeavours Fade, by Rose E.B. Coombes. A Guide to the Battlefields of the First World War - I never visit France & Flanders without this book!

Any of the "Voices of WWI" series, by Max Arthur.

The History of the V.C. By Max Arthur.

SP.
I love all the Max Arthur books.

Currently re-reading great uncle 2_Deck's book about his experiences on D-Day: 'Assault on the Guns of Merville' which is a cracking read.

Your avatar is still giving me naughty thoughts.