FAT's score

Hi folks,

I've recently just sat my FAT's for the Royal Navy with the aim of Pilot but unfortunately just failed. My pilot score was 106 with the pass mark being 112. The question I have is how close was I to actually passing? Is 6 marks a million miles away or did I just fail by a whisker?

During my debrief it was recommended that I try again next year but I wasn't sure if they just tell everyone that. One of the areas which I just failed on was the CLAN test as I underestimated how much time pressure you're under for those questions. The rest of my scores were comfortably above the pass mark. The reason I mention this is basically I feel that I now know the test and would be able to prepare more specifically If i was to attend a resit in 12months time.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi DrunkenSailor. Commiserations on just missing out, though having been through the process this year, though with a different outcome, hopefully I can shed some light. There’s a lot of contrasting opinion you’ll find on here and other sites about whether or not you can improve or revise, and to be honest both are correct.

Whilst ability (or shall we say aptitude!) is required to do well, you may find that sitting them again next year will lead to success for yourself. You didn’t mention your age but the Lt. Cdr at Cranwell told me that the peak age for many is 23? So perhaps that works in your favour.

With regards to the CLAN test, there is an app that I used and found particularly useful. I shall post it below with a few others. I also used brain training apps and the multiple tests on speeddistancetime.info.

Best of luck if you do decide to try again. Don’t let one year put you off what may be a 12 + year career.

Apps and Sites

Speeddistancetime.info - website for fuel calculations, Parcel Load questions, orientation questions.

Pilot Aptitude Pro - mock CLAN with varying degrees of difficulty and a four minute endurance mode to get you accustomed to extended periods of time.

CBAT - multiple tasks that you will find similar to those found in the FATs.

Lumosity - subscribe to a premium account and practice the daily workouts and work on different mental aspects. ‘Train of Thought’ is excellent for improving mental dexterity and multitasking (great CLAN prep!).

Final thing: as per all other responses on the many FATs posts, the above are individual methods that worked for me and I hope they help you also, should you decide to use them. Whilst they are not all CLAN specific they’ll hopefully help you shift your mark safely above 112.

Best of luck!
QP

Hi QuizasPronto,

First off congratulations and many thanks for the advice and taking the time to respond to my question. Anyone who can pass the CBAT test has my utmost respect as nothing really prepares you for how tough it really is.

I've used a couple of those sites/apps during my preparation but there's a couple there which I've never heard of so hopefully next time round I can definitely try and include them and see if they can make the necessary difference.

One of the sections which I found quite challenging, were the 1min quick fire S/D/T Q's simply due to the time constraints placed on you. The only positive was that the numbers you are generally given are quite nice whole numbers which was a pleasant surprise!

Again thanks for the help and all the best in your future endeavours!

A

baldie

Midshipman
Hi folks,

I've recently just sat my FAT's for the Royal Navy with the aim of Pilot but unfortunately just failed. My pilot score was 106 with the pass mark being 112. The question I have is how close was I to actually passing? Is 6 marks a million miles away or did I just fail by a whisker?

During my debrief it was recommended that I try again next year but I wasn't sure if they just tell everyone that. One of the areas which I just failed on was the CLAN test as I underestimated how much time pressure you're under for those questions. The rest of my scores were comfortably above the pass mark. The reason I mention this is basically I feel that I now know the test and would be able to prepare more specifically If i was to attend a resit in 12months time.

Many thanks in advance
Hey,

Hard luck on missing out this time,

From experience, whilst getting close to pass mark is enough to forward you towards AIB etc, it doesn't put you in a great competitive stead for selection.
I have met people with a high AIB score but a scrape at FATS who are struggling to be accepted.

However, don't give up on it! There is alot of to be said for experience improving scores at FATS and you will have 12 months to get yourself ready to smash the clan test again.. You were close this time so there is nothing to say you wont smash it on your next attempt :)