FATs Royal Navy aircrewman (non-commissioned) Direct entry

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Flinty1234, Apr 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    Is there anyone that knows what the pass rates are for the Royal Navy aircrewman are for the FATs?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. When I sat them the Navy Liason officer said roughly 50% pass for aircrewman.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's actually nearer a 10% pass rate.

4. Wouldn't mind having a punt that less than , the above get through the medical, and even less get their Wings!!!

5. Ninja_Stoker

For those already serving, wishing to transfer to Aircrewman, 50% fail to meet the medical standard for entry.

6. Is that mostly pre-existing conditions or height etc...?

7. Eyesight would be a killer as well.

8. Height would be the least of your problems.

In my intake, (1st attempt), we started with some 30 + potential aircrewman, six were left after the medical.

Second course - over 40 started and by the time we arrived at Aircrewman School we were 12!!! The medical sifted the majority out.

They check everything, you go through ECG,EEG more eye tests, a strict hearing test. Then ENT, 'fat check'. Most aircrew will remember the fat callipers, they measure every single part of you for excess flab. So yes, the medical can be the most nerve racking due to the uncertainty of it all.

At the end of the day, if successful it is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Having spoken to front line ASW and Cdo Acmn, the grading process will filter you one way or the other. An ability to deduce a sonar trace or airborne Nav will push you one way or another. Unfortunately for you, they both require the same mental agility and ability at simple maths....

At the end of the day, service needs will dictate, but we a v short of both types.

• Like Like x 2
  10. No change there then. Same criteria were applied in my day, (70's). Nav oriented crewmen went Wasping and on the odd occasion direct to a Junglie outfit. The rest went pinging. (At substantially higher rates of flying pay too!) Last bit was a mini gripe!!!!!:silent:

11. Sorry, haven't grasped the lingo yet. What is wasping and I presume pinger is a ASW role

12. Wasping is reference the Westland Wasp. You'll have to visit the FAA museum to see that warbird. (Stop laughing - it carried weapons).

Yup, Pinging is ASW. Although dated now as most ASW is passive, i.e. no sound transmitted more observing electronic traces.

Westland Wasp Mk 1 (and only 1)
    Untitled15.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ah right, I'm trying to get to the museum but I live very far away so it's rather difficult, things have changed a lot since wasping then!

14. Ah yes, things have moved on a wee bit.
    As for the museum, it is worth a visit if in the area. It gives a good flavour of naval aviation.

15. Got some at YAM actually but I would love to pop down there to see it all, I feel a weekend visit coming along

16. Is it true that 3 weeks ago 32 people went to do aircrewman FAT's and 32 failed?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure of exact figures, but it's quite possible. Since the branch opened to direct entry, bearing in mind I'm one of around 100 Careers Advisers, of the seven candidates I've processed only one has passed FATs. He then failed the medical.

My opinion? The academic entry requirement should be nearer 5 GCSEs including maths, physics & English and the Recruiting Test "part scores", particularly in Reasoning, Numeracy & Mechanical Comprehension need raising to low 20's to manage realistic expectations and drastically increase the pass rate.

• Like Like x 2
  18. It has happened before. I know of at least one course where a whole training programme for ONE aircrewman was ran. Who, with all the training staff, three dedicated instructors - passed!!!!!

19. Agree 100% Ninja, with the new complex on board systems and tactics needed to achieve military goals it would make great sense. It has gone a long way from my day when systems were less complex and a NAMET grade of 1-1 would get you through!!!!!

20. NAMET of 1-1!, didn't realise you could be a thicko and still do the job ;)

• Like Like x 1