FATs & AIBs for pilots on hold?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Janus, Jan 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this true ?

If so, when is it planned to re-start processing applications?
  2. From an ACLO (last week at a cadet conference)I was told that they are only recruiting 12 pilots this year,maybe a CA can advise more?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One can only assume the ACLO has been privy to some insider knowledge as last I'd heard there were no pilots joining the service in 2011 (unless perhaps they have already passed selection)

I'll do some digging, but it's certainly news to me.
  4. What I was told I was applications for Observer are still being processed but pilots are on hold until at least early next year and told me to go away and think about it. I'm not so bothered about not actually getting in until next year but not having the application processed would bugger up things up abit.

As I've been on a Pilot POCAC would I be eligible to go on one for Observer or are they both the same?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Just to update, there are no Pilot entries planned before May 2012. whether your ACLO processes pilot only candidates beyond FATs is at their discretion but as AIB only has 12 months validity, even those passing FATs & AIB previously will need to retake AIB after May.

Observers are being processed, but very few entries envisaged.
  6. thanks for confirming the gossip.

I've just passed the PJFT and was being to wonder why I hadn't heard anything but obviously now need to chat with the AFLO as to the options open to me.

If May 2012 is the earliest intake, when do would it be reasonable to expect to be called for the FATs and wouldn't I be at a disadvantage if other AFLOs process their candidates?
  7. Thats right sorry he said they were only recruiting for 12 places next year,I tried to remember instead of looking at what I wrote! Sorry again!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

No worries Barney. Predicted entry requirement for next year sounds about right & amply illustrates how competitive the trade is. Out of 11 Officer applicants I'm processing through the preliminary stages of selection at present 4 are aircrew aspirants, there are over 100 careers advisers nationally. This week out of 20 people sitting the initial recruiting test in my AFCO, five were aircrew aspirants - there are over 50 AFCOs nationally.
  9. I can confrim that we are being told the same down South about no entries until Mid 2012 for Pilots and not many Obs for this year as well.