FATpass worth the purchase?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jtaylor, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off sorry if these questions have already been asked had a quick search and couldn't find much across the forums.

Just got back from my medical so I know it's still fair bit off but the more revision time I can get for Cranwell the better, had a look around at prep products available and FATpass looks pretty sound. Has anyone had experience with it and has it helped with the actual tests?

Also I'm applying for AC and just wondering if there's anything else involved in the role beyond what's in the handout? Spoke to my CA and what he's told me is pretty much the same as the info pack. Excuse me if I'm wrong but is there really enough flight ops to keep you busy every day for 6 months solid?
  2. Im currently using FATPass before going to Cranwell (applying for Pilot) and it has helped ALOT!!! Theres a lot of practice questions to work through (with answers) and also methods on how to calculate questions at the start. I must add though that this book only focusses on the Speed Distance Time aspect of the testing at Cranwell, and there will be lots of other tests. Apparently the maths aspect is the only bit you can really prepare for. Good luck!
  3. I used the FATPASS workbook before i went to my FATS on tuesday, and having done them i realise that it wasnt as helpful as i thought it was going to be. It will help doing the questions to get the brain into the right frame of mind, but the questions dont quite reflect the ones that are given in the test. What i think you shouldnt forget about is the verbal reasoning because theres a whole section on that, including a 30 min question at the end which involves drawing on a lot of pages of info. To be honest though it will be very difficult to revise anything that will help massively in the test, it really was a test of natural ability. Good luck with it though
  4. I'd ignore that handout entirely, looks like it was written by a bunch of monkeys, what the fck is an "Air Traffic Assistance Course"?! I'm sure it's "Air Traffic Assistant's Course"! 10 months professional training at RNAS Yeovilton is also a feed of sh*t, you'll be there for 6 weeks to do your NATAC (Naval Air Traffic Assistant's Course) before heading off to an air station for 12 months (not 10).

FATs wise, I wouldn't worry too much, I know the 2 dribblers who were sent up to set the 'benchmark' score for potential AC recruits. If you can't achieve a similar score then you'll have had trouble keeping face off windows for a number of years already.

No fcking idea what you're asking about here, there's no part of the training pipeline for direct entry ACs that lasts 6 months, though if you're talking about your time at an air station then you'll be kept busy, perhaps not with flight ops, but you'll be busy.
  5. Cheers for that!

Seems like FATpass is worth a go then though I've just realised the whole point of it is that it's about aptitude so there should be sod all i can actually revise.

Sorry didn't explain myself well there, I was talking about when you're drafted to a ship on deployment not during training or at a air station.

Well it's good to know they only take on the best of the best :wink:
  6. ohh, after your time at an air station you'll be drafted to a ship's company for a further 12 months.

as an AC at sea you will be MEGA BUSY, all the time.
  7. Right one last question!

AFCO rang up earlier and booked me in for the interview next Tuesday and there's one thing i can't find an answer for. Just incase it's bought up what is the working relationship between ACs and ATCOs? Presumably at air stations ACs are simply ATC assistants but as part of a ship's company on a frigate or a destroyer is there a ATCO onboard or is an AC working directly under the flight commander as I've previous heard?
  8. No ATCOs on small ships, as the ship's AC you're it. For your time on ship as an AB you'll be ship's company and will work for the ship, not the flight, when a flight is embarked they will bring with them their own LAC who DOES work for the flight. Once you're an LAC you'll go into either a pool of ACs at 815 sqn or be assigned a ship's flight with 829 sqn.

At a TAS you'll be an air traffic assistant as previously mentioned and will work very closely with ATCOs and ATC qualified AC Senior Rates.
  9. Sure this will sound dappy but what's the difference between working for the ship and the flight? So for that time at AB what would your role be as part of the ship's company, presumably not as the ship's AC?

(Would be asking my CA this but he couldn't expand beyond that of the info pack)