Father's Day advice

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by golden_rivet, Jun 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

suggestions please for a Fathers Day present please. Ideally that I can order online max price about 30 squids (some flexibility upwards but not too much)

Interests: reading (sci-fi in particular), alternative technology (has built wind powered stuff - don't know all the specifications), ecology (has the Al Gore DVD and is or was a member of Greenpeace), flying (ex crab), good sense of humour and moderately active. Likes making and mending things (burglar broke into the house and never went beyond the kitchen - its like something from the 1950s!!!) from kettles to telescopes ...

quick replies most appreciated

GRx

:clock:

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. How about a trip to the Eden Project or Space centre in Leicestershire/

4. Or a couple of bottles of Pussers just to show him what he missed all those years ago when he became a Crab.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fcuk, I suppose I'd better do something about fathers day..when is it?

6. You should have a dad like mine, 86 years young and says he doesn't want nor need anything 'cos he's seen it, done it and had so many tee shirts.......

Still likes a pint though :thumright:

:)

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Sunday - and to mark Father's Day weekend, I'm off into Algonquin Park going camping and canoeing with my eldest lad. Now where's the "bug juice" the mosquito and black fly are, as they say round here, brutal!

8. I though any trip to the woods in Canada involved a 40 ouncer, or has modernism caught up over there too.

9. The answer GR is nothing!
    Fathers Day was invented by that lot over the other side of the pond in the 70's as, in my humble opion, a ploy by the greetings card industry to get Mrs Joe Punter to buy more cards ('cos men just don't do cards) and now everybody is on the band wagon, trying to get you to part with your hard earned cash.
    If my kids even mention Fathers day then they are in line for some verbal abuse, and if, God forbid, they buy me a stupid card and/or a present then the abuse could turm physical.
    Fathers day together with that other imported abomination 'Trick or feckin Treat' should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

10. Agree, there total load of bollox

11. Wish my dad were still alive :sad10: ....probably go for a beer and a chat with him more than anything else.

12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

13. And mine mate , lost him 3 months before I left the Mob in 95 :salut:

14. According to thier map Sheffield has moved north about 150 miles.