Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fathers and Sons Trip onboard ship

. Incidentally, why isn't Mrs.Nicks invited in these enlikened days? :shocked:[/quote]

Mrs Nicks would be the biggest embarrasment of the lot as when we went to see him and the ship back into Pompey after there Falklands jaunt she asked everybody "Where are all the shops" ? and " Where are all the windows ?"

And I agree with you Nutty,I would give my right arm to go and also not to call anyone Sir!!

Also is "The Hole in the Wall " Bar still in Gib ?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
"Hole in the Wall" still exists but only opens infrequently, as RN ships don't visit as often as before, and Charlie is getting on a bit. To be honest, the tastes of most younger matelots have changed, so they tend to stick to the bars on Main Street, which hasn't changed that much. The local government is trying to generate more lucrative revenue from the visit cruise ships, so they do not encourage the activities of drunken sailors, as in times gone by... having said that, Gib is still a top run ashore (just not as 'wild' as it used to be!) :wink:

I can taste those JC's right now,so all I have to do now is persuade him to let me go,also Ive had a PM off someone serving on the Exeter(Whoops,name drop there ) and if he knows the boy he hopefully will have a word in his shell like. :thumright:

stirling2

Banned
Nicks said:
My son told me today that his ship is doing a fathers and sons trip back from Gib to Pompey at the end of his little jolly to the Med just before Xmas and all I have to do is find my airfare from here to gib,but the bad news is that he doesnt want me to do it as no one else onboard it seems is doing it either!!!!!!!!!!
How gutted am I to be missing out on a Channel night etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice as to talking him around on this one please would be welcome.

That is his assumption.....convince him he is wrong.

Richie

Lantern Swinger
I would have jumped at a Father and son trip on board, my Dad would have loved to go on modern carrier (sorry ship).

I can also speak confidentialy for two of my brothers who were also FAA like me, (between the four of us we totaled over a hundred years service).

Nicks said:
thingy said:
Incidentally, why isn't Mrs.Nicks invited in these enlikened days? :eek:mfg:

Mrs Nicks would be the biggest embarrasment of the lot as when we went to see him and the ship back into Pompey after there Falklands jaunt she asked everybody "Where are all the shops" ? and " Where are all the windows ?"

And I agree with you Nutty,I would give my right arm to go and also not to call anyone Sir!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Surely you're pulling my leg??!! Surely she asked it in jest? :eek: :roll:

Perhaps she thought pussers war canoes were like cruise liners: shops, portholes, etc? :biggrin:

Mrs Nicks: Room service: muffins and tea please! :biggrin:

Nicholson: Yes Mum!

Nicks

We are prepared to persuade him of the errors of his decision if you wanted to sign a "CONTRACT" to that effect.

"The old and treacherous will aways defeat youthful enthusiasm"

NUtty

Nutty said:
Nicks

We are prepared to persuade him of the errors of his decision if you wanted to sign a "CONTRACT" to that effect.

"The old and treacherous will aways defeat youthful enthusiasm"

NUtty

Im quite happy to go along with that,anything for a Jolly at the tax payers expense :thumright:

thingy said:
Nicks said:
thingy said:
Incidentally, why isn't Mrs.Nicks invited in these enlikened days? :eek:mfg:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Surely you're pulling my leg??!! Surely she asked it in jest? :eek: :roll:

Perhaps she thought pussers war canoes were like cruise liners: shops, portholes, etc? :biggrin:

Mrs Nicks: Room service: muffins and tea please! :biggrin:

Nicholson: Yes Mum!

The thing is we are off on a Carribean Cruise in Jan next year and she has been looking at all the pretty pictures,so you know these women and there idea of all ships will be like the QE2 !!!!!!!!!!

I just disowned her when she spouted off and the boy just looked gobsmacked!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NZ_Bootneck Fathers and Sons Sports and Adventure Training 1
P Late fathers Naval history History 7
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
M My fathers navy pension Finance & Pensions 4
S deciphering my fathers service record with no service number? Nearest & Dearest 10
B My Fathers Naval Pension Finance & Pensions 4
BillyNoMates Fathers Day Diamond Lil's 13
B Fathers Service Records The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Sunday Mirror: "Christmas Party Smiles Hide Painful Bond Of Losing Fathers" Charity 0
L My fathers WW2 Navy Records The Fleet 5
scouse Scouse Slim and Fred.were Skin and Pontius was just a twinkle in his Fathers eye The Fleet Air Arm 6
golden_rivet FATHERS DAY - - - HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!! Nearest & Dearest 27
slim Mothers to name and shame fathers Diamond Lil's 16
slim Fathers 'must fight gang culture' Current Affairs 4
L They don't do a PJT for Fathers!! Diamond Lil's 9
D How could they mess my sons Navy Career up !!! SO VERY SAD Joining the Royal Navy 21
A Sons Aircrew Medical Health & Fitness 1
S Sons of Guns Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
MoD_RSS Want to go on a road trip with your dog? MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Bulwark - trip to E Berlin Miscellaneous 17
MoD_RSS UK Minister for Europe to make Ukraine his first foreign trip MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Development Secretary Alok Sharma visit Nigeria in first overseas trip MoD News 0
C Portsmouth trip. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS News story: Africa Minister makes two-country trip to Southern Africa to deepen partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary Hunt visits Malaysia as part of first overseas trip in 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Fishing trip cost Leicester man over £1,400 – a licence costs £30 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Fishing trip nets Gloucester man with over £800 fines and costs MoD News 0
soleil Portmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth To Visit New York On Maiden Trip To The USA" The Fleet 24
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO features on BBC One’s ‘Antiques Road Trip’ MoD News 0
L First Sea Trip RFA 1
Tui Bird Identify EA left behind when AFFRAY sailed on her fatal training trip. Submariners 0
janner Bus Trip Diamond Lil's 0
MG Maniac Clarkson and the Patagonian Trip Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
Ageing_Gracefully Win a trip to Venice Competitions 0
J First Sea Trip. RFA 24
wet_blobby 42 Cdo med trip 1970 The Corps 3
MoD_RSS Announcement: FCO Minister shows continued UK support to Libyan people on trip to reg MoD News 0
Mongke's_Fist Not your average road trip Charity 106
soleil Herald: "HMS Argyll Trip Disappointment For Dozens" The Fleet 2
soleil Morpeth Herald: "Couple Find Their Sea Legs On The Trip Of A Lifetime" The Fleet 0
deano_navy HMS Diamond Trip!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S Scotland trip??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
The_Caretaker Air Trip Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Train Trip Miscellaneous 0
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Ship's trip up canal to talk on Gulf mission" The Fleet 1
Rodgersthecabinboy A trip down memory lane Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Morpeth Herald: "Pipers' Arduous Trip to HMS Northumberland" The Fleet 0
docherty trip abroad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S HMS Trafalgar last trip into Guzz Current Affairs 12