Fathers and Sons Trip onboard ship

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Nicks, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son told me today that his ship is doing a fathers and sons trip back from Gib to Pompey at the end of his little jolly to the Med just before Xmas and all I have to do is find my airfare from here to gib,but the bad news is that he doesnt want me to do it as no one else onboard it seems is doing it either!!!!!!!!!!

How gutted am I to be missing out on a Channel night etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice as to talking him around on this one please would be welcome.
  2. Bribery?
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Have you mentioned all the naked baby photo's you have stored away to show his girlfriends/ publish in the local paper/ post in the local pub?

Just a thought............... alternatively

You could emphasise how much you would love to do it and the opportunities really don't come around often, I would push the point that next time he gets the opportunity you may not be around to take it.

:thumright: :thumright:

4. Done that one already !!

He says I wouldnt enjoy it as I will have to sleep in the JRs Mess and I wouldnt have anything to do for 3 days !!

It would be a dream come true to go back onboard and do nothing at all,mind you I used to do F!!K All when I was an MCC Queen on Bombers,so I could soon get back into that routine :thumright:
  5. I like the guilt one but it would sound like I am on my last legs and Im not even 50 yet !!
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Still........................ if it works! Have you tried the weak, aged voice on the phone?

I'd bet a tenner that if one guy in the mess say's he will bring his Dad onboard a few others will follow.

7. You might end up in the funnel club ------ after spewing yer ring crossing
    the bay ----

and skimmers stay on the top instead of the good old

'going deep' and let the roughers do their worst :bball: :bball:

:nemo: :nemo:
  9. Erm..... perhaps if you had`nt beaten him as a child he might.......................................................... :w00t:
  10. Maybe he just doesn't want you to catch him tabbing up on the QD dad :)
    Maybe he thinks you'll embarrass him, or worse, he'll embarrass you!

Just email the XO and tell him you'll be there, be a nice suprise for your boy :D

Mickey taking aside mate, I do hope he relents and lets you do the fathers at sea thing, it should be good fun and I hope you enjoy it :)
  11. I hope if you do go you'll get a chance to drag him to the 'Donkey's Flip Flop' and 'The Stormy Monk' if they still exist in Gib? Then drag him down to Buccaneers!!!
  12. Nicks you would be mad to miss a chance to play on a pussers war canoe and not have to call anyone Sir.

Hit him in the pocket,
    "Son see that £300,000 that you come home to on leave"
    "Yes Dad"
    "Well its your sisters, RSPCA, Greenpeace, Tory Party"

"Then again"

If that does not work a gob full of pick axe handle seemed to work well when I was Plod.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...tell him you'l pay for his run ashore in Gib. Maybe introduce him to "Charlie"... :wink:

What ship is he on? Might be able to use my fellow branch members to apply 'the strong arm of the law' to influence his decision... 8O :twisted:
  14. You could write to' Jim'll fix it'.
  15. Just tell him everyone's dad is half the size of their son, then he won't feel any embarassment. Incidentally, why isn't Mrs.Nicks invited in these enlikened days? :shocked:
  16. Me ad my Father ar'nt that close, so when the oppertunity came up a few years ago I invited my mum's other 1/2 out to Gib to do the fathers at sea thing. To be honest, he was'nt pub fit, so by the completion of suicide leave in Gib he was already fading fast. After an awful couple of days cleaning up his dockyard pizza's whilst we transited the Gulf of Gascony, my messmates had him believing that he had to ring the bell in the mess if he wanted a drink whilst I was watch. This was back in the days when a deployment was'nt complete till you had spent 2 days going around in circles in Whitsand bay, waiting to go in(something to do with our arrival coinciding with a VIP visit iirc.)
    BTW, female family membersare permitted to visit mixed manned ships, provided accom is available.
  17. Isn't that an oxymoron: mixed manned ships.....? :lol: ;)
  18. well if your son realy REALY did not want you to go then WHY did he tell you???
    and its nothing new for kids not to want us so called oldies around...
  19. ...But Nicks is only a few years older than me, and I'm skin... I am... really ;)
  20. I can vaguely see his point. My US-resident parents turned up at the brow unexpectedly as we started a ship's visit in Fort Lauderdale. Cramped my style somewhat but I did end up with a new wardrobe for the rest of the deployment.

But this is quite different. As Nutty has suggested, how about dropping hints that you are thinking of re-writing your will?