Father passed away - will Mum still get pension?

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by off_les_aura, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad news, my Dad crossed the bar yesterday. ******* lung cancer diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Ex-WO1(RS) on AFPS 75 (I think), poor sod only retired from civil service last year, and not even old enough to draw a State Pension. Anyone know who I need to contact regarding his Armed Forces Pension and whether or not my Mum will get half of it? How do I get it paid into her account? She doesn't work, she's got no idea about finance, there's still 7 years left on the mortgage and I want to make sure that she is going to be OK financially.

Any help/advice appreciated

OLA

2. Thanks RR. Had a quick shuftie but it would appear that this only applies to death in service, or death in retirement that was attributable to service. His death was not service related so don't think we can claim under the circumstances described

3. He will have a paper from the paymaster general April last year P60 I think it is. She should get his full pension for 3 months then it drops to just under half. There is a phone number in Glasgow perhaps someone (Morsehorse) Can help. I think that I am correct. Hope this helps.
    Hig. I don`t normally post on here, but read this.

4. Thanks Hig, I'm on AFPS 75 myself and I'm sure I read in the documentation that your wife gets half your pension if you die. Just wanted to make sure and sort all the admin out so that she's not worrying about it. Cheers again

5. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my father died 3 years ago and my mother gets his pension. Not sure how much of it she recieves, as its not really a conversation that we have had, but she defo gets enough to live on. Hope this helps.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Send Hackle a pm he is the expert on pensions.

7. She will deffinately get about half his pension, go on the veterans web site and ring the number for Glasgow.

8. Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your father. There are many RN communinations pages on Facebook, such as, HMS Mercury, Royal Navy Communicators, Royal Navy Communicatons Association that might like to know about him crossing the bar. As a former communicator I might even have known him. RIP.

9. Thanks Drakey. He was a member of the RNCCA, I'm going to trawl through his emails later and let all relevant parties know the bad news

10. I was so very sorry to read about the loss of your father, OLA. My deepest condolences.

11. You will almost certainly have spoken to Pensions at Glasgow by now. If by chance you haven't, you can contact them on 0800 085 3600.

12. There is something which you might find useful, I heard about it when I lost my Mum last year.

There is a service called "Tell Us Once" - if you provide the details required, Government departments such as the DWP, DVLA and HMRC are informed of your loss without your having to contact each of them individually. If you wish, you can do it online, which helps.

https://www.gov.uk/tell-us-once

13. That's a useful link Sol, wish I'd known about it when my Dad crossed the bar.

14. See your PM.

15. Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I think I've got everything I need now to carry this forward, thanks again

16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Condolences ola. Sol, great work again with that link. As wrecks said, wish I knew about that when we lost my dad. My mum continued to get official mail for him months afterwards.

17. My condolences, everything I have has been said has already.

18. Hope it all works out for you Ola

19. I came across him briefly on a few occasions and know people who always spoke fondly of him. RIP

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1