Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Father passed away - will Mum still get pension?

off_les_aura

War Hero
Sad news, my Dad crossed the bar yesterday. ******* lung cancer diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Ex-WO1(RS) on AFPS 75 (I think), poor sod only retired from civil service last year, and not even old enough to draw a State Pension. Anyone know who I need to contact regarding his Armed Forces Pension and whether or not my Mum will get half of it? How do I get it paid into her account? She doesn't work, she's got no idea about finance, there's still 7 years left on the mortgage and I want to make sure that she is going to be OK financially.

Any help/advice appreciated

OLA

off_les_aura

War Hero
Thanks RR. Had a quick shuftie but it would appear that this only applies to death in service, or death in retirement that was attributable to service. His death was not service related so don't think we can claim under the circumstances described

Thanks RR. Had a quick shuftie but it would appear that this only applies to death in service, or death in retirement that was attributable to service. His death was not service related so don't think we can claim under the circumstances described

He will have a paper from the paymaster general April last year P60 I think it is. She should get his full pension for 3 months then it drops to just under half. There is a phone number in Glasgow perhaps someone (Morsehorse) Can help. I think that I am correct. Hope this helps.
Hig. I don`t normally post on here, but read this.

off_les_aura

War Hero
Thanks Hig, I'm on AFPS 75 myself and I'm sure I read in the documentation that your wife gets half your pension if you die. Just wanted to make sure and sort all the admin out so that she's not worrying about it. Cheers again

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my father died 3 years ago and my mother gets his pension. Not sure how much of it she recieves, as its not really a conversation that we have had, but she defo gets enough to live on. Hope this helps.

Drakey

War Hero
Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your father. There are many RN communinations pages on Facebook, such as, HMS Mercury, Royal Navy Communicators, Royal Navy Communicatons Association that might like to know about him crossing the bar. As a former communicator I might even have known him. RIP.

off_les_aura

War Hero
Thanks Drakey. He was a member of the RNCCA, I'm going to trawl through his emails later and let all relevant parties know the bad news

soleil

War Hero
You will almost certainly have spoken to Pensions at Glasgow by now. If by chance you haven't, you can contact them on 0800 085 3600.

soleil

War Hero
There is something which you might find useful, I heard about it when I lost my Mum last year.

There is a service called "Tell Us Once" - if you provide the details required, Government departments such as the DWP, DVLA and HMRC are informed of your loss without your having to contact each of them individually. If you wish, you can do it online, which helps.

https://www.gov.uk/tell-us-once

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
Sad news, my Dad crossed the bar yesterday. ******* lung cancer diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Ex-WO1(RS) on AFPS 75 (I think), poor sod only retired from civil service last year, and not even old enough to draw a State Pension. Anyone know who I need to contact regarding his Armed Forces Pension and whether or not my Mum will get half of it? How do I get it paid into her account? She doesn't work, she's got no idea about finance, there's still 7 years left on the mortgage and I want to make sure that she is going to be OK financially.

Any help/advice appreciated

OLA

See your PM.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Condolences ola. Sol, great work again with that link. As wrecks said, wish I knew about that when we lost my dad. My mum continued to get official mail for him months afterwards.

Drakey

War Hero
Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your father. There are many RN communinations pages on Facebook, such as, HMS Mercury, Royal Navy Communicators, Royal Navy Communicatons Association that might like to know about him crossing the bar. As a former communicator I might even have known him. RIP.

I came across him briefly on a few occasions and know people who always spoke fondly of him. RIP

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andy_Cap Father-in law passed away Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS 26-year bans after father & son flout previous disqualifications MoD News 0
BratMedic Help identifying my late father's shipmate in the 1930s. History 2
MoD_RSS Father and son cleaning company bosses disqualified for 18 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Father and son dramaticaslly rescued from cliff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Southend director banned for transferring assets to father-in-law MoD News 0
PaulieGualtieri Father in prison, will this affect my application? Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Assistance for info on an old salt, (my father). Nearest & Dearest 3
N How can I get the information required to obtain my father in laws Naval records History 1
A New ebook:Arctic Convoy Heroes. My Father's story.70th Tribute, Battle of North Cape. The Book Club 17
S Proud Father Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
L Seeking help to tracing my Father in Law Social & Reunions 5
L My father serves on WW 2 Aircraft carriers. Service Record wanted. History 2
J Julia - Trying to trace my Father's WW2 record Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
soleil Western Daily Press: "Insight Into Falklands War Father's World At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 0
F Father was signalman in WWII ... The Fleet 3
G Searching for a father Diamond Lil's 23
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Father Charles And The Iron Duke" The Fleet 1
soleil Courier (Scotland): "Frontline Families: A 45 Commando Father's Pain And Pride" The Corps 1
Joe_Crow Single Father Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
A My Dad's a father Miscellaneous 0
ex_wasp_L2 Father John and his bath.. Blue Jokes 1
T What do you want from Father Christmas this year? The Gash Barge 42
sgtpepperband Father of dead soldier refuses to shake Bliar's hand Current Affairs 3
The_Jimmy 13-year-old boy is father to newborn girl Current Affairs 150
stwonder22 Anybody remember or serve with my father? Social & Reunions 2
V TRYING TO FIND MY FATHER AFTER 30YRS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
5dits Man seeks drinking pal for father Current Affairs 3
P searching for more info on my father History 4
E FATHER Submariners 21
brazenhussy Son's note to his father. Diamond Lil's 5
N Royal sprog on the way - wonder who the father is? Diamond Lil's 21
golden_rivet Father's Day advice The Quarterdeck 14
D Father kills himself and his 2 children Current Affairs 1
brazenhussy father and son Diamond Lil's 0
The_Caretaker How does Father Xmas visit your home Diamond Lil's 2
slim Harrods sack Father Christmas Diamond Lil's 8
Chockheads_WM Like Father, Like Son (or Like Mother, like Daughter). Diamond Lil's 5
MoD_RSS Report 06/2020: Signal passed at stop and near miss, Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop, Manchester MoD News 0
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger and subsequent near-miss at Chalfont & Latimer station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signals passed at danger near Crofton West Junction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger near Loughborough MoD News 0
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S Medical - passed back to Navy to decide ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS News story: Opt-out organ donation: Max and Keira's Bill passed into law MoD News 0
couper172 Passed RT with higher score, not sure what to role to choose Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
U Passed running test first week of September - not heard anything back yet Joining the Royal Navy 5
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5