Fatalities in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by royalbumbaclod, Apr 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I noticed a few posts about 'oh im going to die in the marines' blah blah, so for them few this is a sad update.

12 Royal Marines have died in combat in afghanistan since operations began in 2001.

12 too many.

2. Agreed entirely, but then when you have a "ground conflict" MoD will tend to send "the best of the best" to do the dirty work. And then they pay the price.

Regrets for the fallen, and their family and friends, but in the final analysis a large number of big boys joined up, passed training and went to do a big man's job in a sh1tty environment.

And I'm the first to admit that's not my scene at all ...

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sadly, I make it 13 in combat & one arguably by negligence. Afghanistan fatalities.

Which makes the dreadful toll average two per year, to date out of a total of 91 UK military fatalities in that theatre. As rightly stated, one is too many.

Interesting perhaps that the National Union of Teachers do not condemn the
    UK construction industry
    which lost 77 employees in one year (2006/7).

4. I notice ninja that the lads from the downed Puma that went down over Baghdad aren't mentioned for obvious reasons. I was involved with the medical support for the aircrew of said aircraft when they returned to the UK and my thoughts are with them.

XRD

5. is it 40 commando that are in afgasm at the moment?

6. Yes 40 Commando are in Afghan at present, but at this time are in the process of handing over to 16 Air Assault Brigade, looking forward to seeing the lads come home over the next couple of weeks after doing a great job.

RIP to those who were lost, my thoughts are with the injured and the families of the fallen.