Fast Jet Pilot?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by vacuous, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

As you can tell this is my first post...be gentle o_O

I was hoping someone on here could help me, or at least give me an informed opinion.

Basically, I am twenty-five (twenty-six in August) and am currently re-sitting my A Levels. Fitness wise I am decent; sub seven minute mile-and-a-half and climb hills for fun so would adapt to "military fitness" well. I have an interest in joining the Fleet Air Arm as a Fast Jet Pilot.

My questions are:

1) Would my age be a drama? I read that 26 is the upper age limit, have I left it too late to apply?

2) I am six foot and two-hundred and twenty-five pounds, am I too heavy/tall?

3) What are the chances of actually becoming a Fast Jet Pilot? I read five out of three hundred applicants, does this sound right?

I would like to thank you in anticipation for your replies.

Cheers,

V

2. Well mate you dont apply for fast jet pilot that could be helicopter pilot or fast jet. They choose the people with good aptitude for fast jets i think i may be wrong. Your height is good for it and your age. Look on www.royalnavy.mod.uk.

All the best

And wecome to rumration

3. The FAA don't have any fast jets, only Harrier ;)

4. Cheers Chicogiz.

Touché Karma, The Harrier (and Future Joint Combat Aircraft/ JSF) are Jump Jets; aren't they? I say "Fast Jet" because the RN website advertises the Aircrew jobs as Fast Jet Pilot, Helicopter Pilot or Observer.

5. And m8 anything you wanna know about the fleet air arm PM as my grandad was a pilot in it. Thats only if you can find the information on the internet.

6. Cheers fella :thumbright: , I am still researching at the moment but will bear it in mind.

Are you in the Navy?

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chico, despite your good intentions, I think any information your Grandad has about the FAA might be a little bit out of date... :oops:

8. My grandad still flys for monarch airlines lol his only 51 so his not that old and know people taht still fly in the fleet air arm. Ive always wanted to be a pilot myself but i dont think i would get the gcse for that so gave up about 2 years ago.

9. Nope im not but gonna join. I have a meeting on monday at my AFCO so hopefully it will go on from then. But i do know alot on the navy compared to some people who want to join. As im only 15 but should say 16 because my birthday is on the 1st january. :thumright:

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chico: I'm not doubting your Grandad's flying exprience or credentials, but his knowledge of the current FAA recruitment requirements might be a little out of date and could be confusing to the original poster...

So you wanted to go Pilot, then Sailor, now Marine; what next? Ever heard of Mr. Benn?!

:wink:

11. Well mate i that was two years ago about a pilot i would not of change my mind its only because my grades. Well you have to make sure you choose the right job. But it gonna be a seaman spec as i have a Appointment at my AFCO on monday and will hand in my application. I also have to go to ilford AFCO for a presentation thats long. Why not london i suppose it needs to be done.

12. Good Luck on Monday fella.

13. His granny was a tail gunner on a Lancaster :w00t:

Never leave this site.

Your priceless :money:

14. vacuous

Good luck, however at 25 with your first post looking at being a flyer I here I wish you the best. Most FAA, RAF & AAC got into aviation about 12 yrs before you. Military aviation and the AIB & your Cranwell tests will be hard. Ex cadets who fly at 13 on air experience and go solo at 16 fill our NAS nowadays. However I really hope you pass. Good luck.

15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not strictly true - but as you have to enter the flying training pipeline by the time you are 26, you are going to have to steam bits.

16. One thing would be Pilots fail on is actually their eye sight. Theres a lot that apply to fly but need to pass a very intense visual field and colour blindness test.

17. However, there are plenty of RN pilots who do not fit this stereotype.

18. Thanks for all your help.

I am going to the AFCO on Monday for a chat so here's hoping.

V

19. I'm applying for the same role but im 162cm thats like 5 foot 3 i think... and I'm 53kg even tho im trying to put on weight - if vacuous is right for it then does that mean im too small?

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Really?

Every day's a school day, eh?