Faslane Commute

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gregleeds, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,
    So just waiting for my start date for WS(MW) and hoping to get a place in Faslane which I understand shouldn't be too hard for a volunteer? Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it in basic that you make that choice? Also I was wondering if I lived off base is there a certain distance which I am expected to live within from the base? My girlfriend and I currently live in west Glasgow - around a 35 minute drive to the base? Does anyone know if this is acceptable or if anyone else has done anything similar? Thanks.

2. There are many matelots who live/have lived in Glasgow. You can live as far away as you like as long as you can get in on time, the exception being when the ship/boat is under sailing orders when you have to be within the port area (50 miles radius IIRC) or can get in within one hour if your standby duty watch etc.

Could have changed recently, ready to be corrected.

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll be fine living in west end. I know some who come from the east coast daily. I take it you drive, because if you don't it will be a pain in the arse.

Good luck.

4. You tell them your preference on Baby Muppets Course unless that has changed recently.

5. Nice one guy, thanks for that. I can stop looking at rightmove Helensburgh at last.

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

And 35 minutes from door to gate. Slow down ya ****, anyone would think you were keen.