Faslane 365

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Scarface2009, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may be in the wrong forum but here it goes.

i recall when doing the RNAC, we went to Faslane and on the way there were 'hippy' style camps, i hav'nt thought much about it, but i wanted to find out why they were there, i have done my homework on how the idiots are protesting, if any of you guys have been based up faslane ever witness these protests first hand?

i got this off wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faslane_Peace_Camp

this off Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXChDTinrU

what are your thoughts on them and the protests, personally i think they need to get a life, get a house and get a job

2. They are largely harmless, it's the ploughshares people that like causing trouble.

3. The long-term members of the 'peace camp' were self-professed anarchists, and members of Paisley Anarchists Group IIRC. (Read into this what you will, I'm just surprised that anarchists could have formed an organisation.)

4. The peace camp has been given a postcode so they can collect dole,benifits etc and they have a permenant water supply given free by Scottish water IIRC!

5. They can be a pain on Bank Holiday weekends or when there is a photo op, otherwise 'mostly harmless'

Unless things have changed a great deal since I was last there

6. Back in the 70s they were a good stop of point on the way back from a run ashore in Helensburgh. A mug of soup and a bonk!!

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, we recall that day in the shelter station thinking a earthquake had hit the west coast.

8. Excuse my ignorance but whats "Ploughshares people"

9. witsend

Since its you that asked Chris. Here.

10. witsend

The best/funniest/strangest sight was driving out the north gate and a Buddhist monk in full kit sitting at the side playing his little drums.

11. You know i am a bit of a thicky,ok,but i didnt see any referance to "Ploughshares people",i know and have seen for myself the protesters and all there hippy followers ext ext but its these others i havnt heard of

12. [​IMG]

13. When I was a kid living on the patch at Churchill, the protesters were a generally good natured bunch who believed in disarmament. Can't say I thought a lot about it at the time, but looking back, I don't have a problem with that. They have an absolute right to believe what they want and to make those views known, provided they don't interfere with the lives of others or break the law.

More recently, the Trident Ploughshares mob turned up, intent on less than peaceful protests and causing as much disruption as possible. This I have a problem with. It's my belief that a lot of these anti-nuclear protesters are just the 'Swampy's' of the world, looking for something to make a noise about. The Newbury bypass was completed despite them and so they need something else to protest over. If we scrapped Trident tomorrow they'd be looking for something else. They don't care what they're making a noise about, as long as it's something.

14. :whax: I claim to be among[if not the first] ratings to set foot on Faslane back when the sky was always blue and nobody locked their front doors :p It was just a crumbling wooden jetty, a derelict warehouse, an out of order telephone box and a broken petrol pump. :dark1: On peace protesters;- my wife has a long proven record of protest Greenham Common, Warrington and Molesworth :angryfire: Never try to argue the point with her, being B.A M.A.PHD. and could also teach a Booty a thing or too about sleeping in the open and survival: :angel9: She'll rip you up for arse paper :whax: I keep a low profile. :(

15. But whats a ploughshares mob

16. witsend

[​IMG]

I'll feed ya thicky :wink: ,

Click on the link I gave you earlier, cover the welcome tab and a drop-down menu appears. You'll see what your after. :whew: It was so much easier when it was just typewriters. :wink:

17. The Ploughshares Movement
    What is Ploughshares?
    Ploughshares actions are made by people committed to peace and disarmament and who nonviolently, safely, openly and accountably disable a war machine or system so that it can no longer harm people.

Cheers,i arnt so thick after all, :D

18. witsend

Who say's you can't teach a old dog some new tricks. :D

19. Woof woof,think i`ll go piss up Rumrats leg, :D

20. witsend

Think he might still be pissed, but not on the rum. :roll: Bet he had a baggy head Sunday morning. :lol: