Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faraday Programme , CIS & ET(WE)

Nohope

I apologise that some of you find these posts especially negative but this merger has been a car crash from start to finish although I admit the original intentions were good. Just to clarify were talking about those who joined as WESM CIS not the old legacy CIS and you won't need to ask any questions because the position is to be explained in the faraday progress update.

XCrabFat

Midshipman
So....

WE and CIS Are as of now integrated. CIS is in the WE branch.

In the next 3-5 years approx, he will be streamed as an operator (CIS) or maintainer ETWE.

There may be some opportunities for a small cohort to cross train in the period and help inform the future branch BUT that's not yet fully endorsed.

The pay issue is being looked at and an evidence pack being prepared for The Navy to present to MoD/HMT and try to get approval for the right SUP inside the 5 year cycle.
Thanks WD

Matt247

Badgeman
I apologise that some of you find these posts especially negative but this merger has been a car crash from start to finish although I admit the original intentions were good. Just to clarify were talking about those who joined as WESM CIS not the old legacy CIS and you won't need to ask any questions because the position is to be explained in the faraday progress update.
Spunds a bit like the RAF trade group 4 merger..... ICT tech and radar repair. Hasn't gone well apparently. They have to keep sexing it up with funky trade titles . Some joined thinking they do IT and ended up repairing radars. They introduced a golden handshake some years ago to aid recruitment and retention.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Spunds a bit like the RAF trade group 4 merger..... ICT tech and radar repair. Hasn't gone well apparently. They have to keep sexing it up with funky trade titles . Some joined thinking they do IT and ended up repairing radars. They introduced a golden handshake some years ago to aid recruitment and retention.

TG4 was created in around 2006, merging a number of trades. It is THE example of how to do it properly. Their assimilation training was well considered and funded.

Merging radar techs into TG4? Not seen that....

Matt247

Badgeman
Apparently its happened. My son worked with what was ICT tech RAF and they were doing the Radar . He is Royal Signal Comms Eng. They were only SAC he was L/cpl

FunkyJunky

War Hero
So....

WE and CIS Are as of now integrated. CIS is in the WE branch.

In the next 3-5 years approx, he will be streamed as an operator (CIS) or maintainer ETWE.

There may be some opportunities for a small cohort to cross train in the period and help inform the future branch BUT that's not yet fully endorsed.

The pay issue is being looked at and an evidence pack being prepared for The Navy to present to MoD/HMT and try to get approval for the right SUP inside the 5 year cycle.
unless all CIS are in supp 3, I can only see issues continuing.

I look at the CIS on board and no longer see a difference between the lads in the MCO and the maintainers. They themselves (in the MCO), do. They are right in saying they are not paid to do that job (maintainers).

until that fundamental mindset on board changes, can't see much changing.
our lads (on supp 2) have a defect on the kit they use, it goes in the defect log. the CIS lads (on supp 2) do not have that luxury. They still have their warfare PoS and have to also be part of WE rounds etc.

yet, they are paid less for wearing more hats than the maintainers within the same department

weird

Last edited:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
unless all CIS are in supp 3, I can only see issues continuing.

I look at the CIS on board and no longer see a difference between the lads in the MCO and the maintainers. They themselves (in the MCO), do. They are right in saying they are not paid to do that job (maintainers).

until that fundamental mindset on board changes, can't see much changing.
our lads (on supp 2) have a defect on the kit they use, it goes in the defect log. the CIS lads (on supp 2) do not have that luxury. They still have their warfare PoS and have to also be part of WE rounds etc.

yet, they are paid less for wearing more hats than the maintainers within the same department

weird

As I've said, it's being looked at. Somethings are just not easy to resolve no matter how it might appear.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
As I've said, it's being looked at. Somethings are just not easy to resolve no matter how it might appear.
from the front line, not a CIS and looking in, I could tell you a few things that would improve their sum on board that would cost the RN zero pence.

but change takes years for some reason

In my opinion, there was absolutely no need to change anything and leave the comms department within the warfare branch and just evolve it that way with little upheaval.

too late for that now though

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
from the front line, not a CIS and looking in, I could tell you a few things that would improve their sum on board that would cost the RN zero pence.

In my opinion, there was absolutely no need to change anything and leave the comms department within the warfare branch and just evolve it that way with little upheaval.

Thats quite enough of the sensible idea's thank you.

Someone or Multiple offenders will have gained significant promotion out of this magnificent piece of work/Cluster F**k.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
yet we carried on with the merger that was entirely self-imposed.

That was all about SUP3 - the pay banding wasn't a primary issue and having sat through a few of the roadshows where people have been asked that question, it still isn't, and that's from 150-200 people. My people say the same. The biggest issue to resolve is job satisfaction and distinction of role, which is why they've reverted, for now.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thats quite enough of the sensible idea's thank you.

Someone or Multiple offenders will have gained significant promotion out of this magnificent piece of work/Cluster F**k.

Hate to burst your bubble but it really doesn't work like that.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer

Then do, either here or via PM. I'm all for positive, constructive criticism and suggestions. No one person, or group, has the answers.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
Then do, either here or via PM. I'm all for positive, constructive criticism and suggestions. No one person, or group, has the answers.
what I see has been said since the inception of CIS going over to WE branch and said since.
what I say here will make no difference as collectively, it has not yet

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Ground Control to Faraday-1: Dstl to Operate First Space Mission MoD News 0
J ROS LETQC (WE) faraday? The Quarterdeck 3
B Project Faraday Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
D Project Faraday Current Affairs 76
MoD_RSS FCERM research and development programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NDA develops ground-breaking programme for waste management MoD News 0
MoD_RSS BMT wins the first ADMIRALTY Marine Innovation Programme challenge MoD News 0
vauxhall Changes to the Forces Pension Society Roadshow Programme Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Communities at risk of flooding urged to apply for a share of £200m resilience programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jenrick launches 'Protect Programme': the next step in winter rough sleeping plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Conteh MBE congratulates veterans on completion of Boxing Through Barriers programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest COVID-19 antibody testing programme publishes findings on antibody response over time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Millions of extra flu jabs available to support largest UK vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Yemen: International Programme Fund COVID-19 call for proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for proposals for project work in Ukraine under FCDO International Programme Open Futures and Climate Diplomacy Fund 2020-2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Board of Trade holds first meeting to agree principles and future programme of work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Proposed UN programme plan and budget for 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance for GPs to access extra flu vaccines as part of expanded vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next steps for future tri-service recruiting programme revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2021 UK-Taiwan Innovative Industries programme: request for proposal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM confirms £3.7 billion for 40 hospitals in biggest hospital building programme in a generation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New director for UKAEA's STEP programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKHO launches new innovation programme to support development of the Blue Economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl SME Searchlight Announces New Webinar Programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus reinforces need for vigilance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2020 Academy event programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government funding for St Basils' youth homelessness programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £8m programme to boost pupil and teacher wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our leadership academy programme strikes gold MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prague Programme Fund: call for bids 2020/21 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest home antibody testing programme for COVID-19 publishes findings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ACMD work programme 2020 to 2022: commissioning letter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Academy launches new Masters programme in Defence Innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK-India med-tech programme to fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD launches ‘Making sense of COVID-19’ webinar programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus shows virus continued to decline in June MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updates to the shielding programme on national and regional levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Giant leap for UK spaceflight programme as consultation launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Most comprehensive flu programme in UK history will be rolled out this winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK space innovation programme launches with fund for climate change and communications projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Introducing SIx - Sellafield Ltd's new social impact programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Opportunity Areas programme to support young people hit hardest by pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus publishes its initial findings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM announces transformative school rebuilding programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for proposals: International Programme Fund 2020/21 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Blue Belt Programme Annual Update now published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding and manufacturing boost for UK vaccine programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement in response to the Head of the OSCE Programme Office in Nur-Sultan MoD News 0