Fancy a bike??? 'Beachcombers' in Action.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by golden_rivet, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just about to nip out and get a ticket down to Devon - might get trampled in the rush though :smile:

SALVAGE EXPERTS IN ACTION

2. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Gr, Can you pick me up a few items ??

3. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Could do with a new bike please!! :grin:

4. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

G R

Difference between a Westo and a Janner, possibly. A Janner would probably have "encouraged" the wreck. I'm sure you'd love one of those R 1200 RTs (I think) throbbing between your legs!

5. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

They are now threatening salvers with Prosecution!!!!!!!!

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Andy note the term threatening, they are also advising people to stay away. The Law is actually fairly clear on all this and they know it all too well which is why the company are trying to scare people away by employing their own security guards and salvagers. What ever you get just make sure that you file your salvage with Customs and Excise otherwise you will lose your salvage rights, provided your finds are registered there is a good chance the goods will be recognised as yours, if you had not recovered them they would have been destroyed is the argument I believe. I am not a lawyer though!!! A couple of my mates live down there and have contacted a solicitor, just to check you understand!

7. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Greedy chav scroates ! I would think most decent folk wouldn't have the neck to rooting through someone elses stuff like a bunch of third world looters.
    Disgusting behaviour, shame on them.

8. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Too far away to get to the beach then Ling? :wink:
    RoofRat

9. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

I am sure you can imagine, I am no stranger to picking up bitches on the beaches, hmmm now that's my kind of trash

10. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Good man Ling :grin: :lol:
    RoofRat

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Some one deleting posts again? Mines disappeared

12. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

Probably knicked by those scumbag beach thieves, bloody skip rats !

13. Re: Fancy a bike??? Westos at it again !!!

If scenes of this are being broadcast round the World, then I, for one, am feeling somewhat ashamed. I can't argue against recovering stuff from the breached ISOs and that fetched up on the beach. Breaking into intact and sealed containers is another matter all together, though. Robin Middleton (immediately flashed a memory of the RFA ROBERT MIDDLETON! age is dreadful) made a very valid point regarding the Coast Guard's aim of containing the pollution hazard. These clowns have ruined that by allowing packaging and the gods know what else to drift freely in coastal waters. So far and thankfully, they don't seem to have broached anything hazardous.

I wonder how much has been reported to the Receiver of Wrecks.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

It isn't hard to imagine that some if not all of these 'beachcombers' would have the watch, rings and gold teeth off a body washed ashore. Disgraceful. Like shitehawks on a rubbish tip.

Some of the stuff is personal as opposed to belonging to a large German company worth billions so even the apologists have no grounds to excuse the chavs (there are a lot of hoods up on that beach). Hardly Robin Hood. I don't know the law on this but the receiver has said that the scavangers will be arrested from here on.

I'm holding out for a Darwin Award moment when one of these chimps opens a drum of something nasty or the container door slams shut on his head, or shuts and gets stuck with some of them inside.

15. janner

Look again at the pictures coming out, I have seen a number of middle aged, well dressed men and women taking stuff away from the beach. Not everything can be laid at the feet of the Chavs in this case.

Seadog, did you delete my post on this thread?

16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Anyone who comes from this neck of the woods (as I do) would normally fully support peoples right to beachcombe and salvage wrecked goods from these often rich beaches, it's a tradition which has gone back hundreds of years and prevents the goods going to the Crown when they lay unclaimed. However on this occasion it's almost sickening, people travelling hundreds of miles for some nappies or BMW steering wheels for which they have no apparent need or use. I read a sad and unfortunate story this morning of a couple watching their personal belongings being taken from an ISO on the TV hundreds of miles away, items which an insurance payout could never replace.

17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Fair enough. Or they may have been people like those Chief Tiff wrote of, rescuing their own stuff from the looters.

I don't recall deleting any (only moving) in the last 24 hours but there are all sorts of reasons why it may have been culled and remember I am not the only moderator here and it isn't only the moderators who can delete posts. On the other hand, It may have been finger trouble on your part (was never posted only previewed) or system trouble. Remember Slim's snags a few days ago-bukkake posting?

18. Whilst I accept that individuals who have lost personal property in this situation have been disadvantaged, the notion that people making away with property are merely thieves is a bit far-fetched. If the wine in the barrels is any good, just think of the restaurant mark-ups you've paid for and wish the new owners well.

None of the goods involved in these appropriations could be described as of merchantable quality and will be the subject of insurance payouts, so do those questioning the rights of individuals to salvage believe that businesses should be able to claim insurance and take possession of claimed-for goods? Perhaps they believe that this property should be taken into Crown ownership?

Get real, people. There's an opportunity for those who wish to take the risk to get something for relatively little, even if it is selling a BMW steering wheel on e-bay!

19. There wasn't such a furore when timber was washed up on the Sussex shoreline a few weeks ago. No Receiver of Wrecks involvement, no Coastgard and no Police. People are natural scavengers when it's something for nothing. Go to the local tip and see what is "recycled" before it goes in a skip. If this incident had happened in the Far East the whole ship would have been stripped by now!!

Keep Striving.

20. janner

I don't recall deleting any (only moving) in the last 24 hours but there are all sorts of reasons why it may have been culled and remember I am not the only moderator here and it isn't only the moderators who can delete posts. On the other hand, It may have been finger trouble on your part (was never posted only previewed) or system trouble. Remember Slim's snags a few days ago-bukkake posting?[/quote]

Definately not finger trouble as I have had a couple of PM's commenting on the post. Whilst accepting that the site has had/is having problems, also accepting that you have not deleted it, I hope that we are not dropping back into the situation where some Mods delete posts without comment.