Famous/successful ex-Royal Navy people

Wightsparker

War Hero
We were Belize guardship (fairly sure it was the Achilles) when Jim Davidson came aboard with the then world acrobat act

Jim went to the SRs mess for a few, the backing female singers/dancers got rounded up by the wardroom and the acrobat guy went down the JRs - silly move, came up for his act and Jim told him to piss off before he killed himself, he was all over the place really funny especially as it was a small Leander flightdeck

Then Jim went ballistic as the hoccifers had invited over the RFA hoccifers and a lot of them had their wives with them - so he starts with 'I have come to entertain the lads, some of what I am going to do is outrageous - you either put up with it without complaint or leave now'

Next time I saw him was when he was installed as Worshipful Master of the Chelsea Entertainers Lodge 20 years later !
I'm pretty sure Jim Davidson wasn't actually in the Armed Forces, but he has been very supportive. On one of his TV shows, he asked the audience "Any Army blokes here?" and was rewarded with a cheer. He said something like: "I've always liked the Army, but if I had had a choice I would have gone for the Navy." His stooge asked why.
"Because if the captain says 'Charge!' he's got to go with you....."
An echo from my brain tells me I have posted this before, so apologies.

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Just a random dit .....

One of my oppo's told me the time his ship was alongside in Malta can't remember the year must have been 98 or 99 and they met Oliver Reed in one of the local bars absolutely bladdered talking about his last job acting in the film Gladiator... apparently they stayed there until kick-out spinning dits. As for me I remember seeing Ian Wright whilst on weekend leave travelling through London Paddington.
I've heard other dits and read stuff about the matelots who were with Oliver Reed on his last piss-up in Malta before he went back to his room at the Phoenecia Hotel, passed-out, and died. I can't remember the ship but it might've been the Cumberland. He used a run-down bar in Valletta called "The Pub" as his local, and according to legend some minions from the film crew would arrive at the pub in a limo to pick him up (literally!!) whenever he was due to shoot a scene. Sad way to go but perhaps it was coming, given the way he lived his eventful life. He never did things by halves, that's for sure.

Winny

Badgeman
I've heard other dits and read stuff about the matelots who were with Oliver Reed on his last piss-up in Malta before he went back to his room at the Phoenecia Hotel, passed-out, and died. I can't remember the ship but it might've been the Cumberland. He used a run-down bar in Valletta called "The Pub" as his local, and according to legend some minions from the film crew would arrive at the pub in a limo to pick him up (literally!!) whenever he was due to shoot a scene. Sad way to go but perhaps it was coming, given the way he lived his eventful life. He never did things by halves, that's for sure.
Might of been the Cumberland can't remember who told me ....either that or was told by someone on the Cornwall. .. 20 yrs ago now bit fuzzy. The guy who was with him was a kilick dabba .

Last edited:

Winny

Badgeman
Just looked on youtube and to my amazement there's a short video of the pub Oliver Reed drank in before his untimely death ... you can see its a Matelots pub as there's stoker and warfare branch badges ships crests and an ensign etc....