Famous/successful ex-Royal Navy people

Post deleted.

JFH, even in Lil's ( this isn't ) you'd be pushing it.

Maybe the first bit was a bit below the belt, however the second bit was 100% true :)

Ah, f**k it i'm off, maybe see you all one day. Seadog, "I hope your next sh*t is a pineapple"

JFH "out".

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

Last edited:
A

Art the Fart

Nicholas Monsaratt author of the Cruel Sea
Michael Flanders of Flanders and Swan. Contracted polio aboard WW2 destroyer
David Jacobs
Sir Ralph Richardson and Lord Olivier-both FAA pilots.

Then there was Charlie Drake-who liked playing sailors
and Sir Noel Coward who liked playing with them

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Professor PMS Blackett, nuclear physicist (and WW2 mining scientist c/o HMS Vernon)
Charles Morgan, novelist
Barnes Wallis RNAS in WW1 until sidetracked into designing airships

Sorry 

Maybe the first bit was a bit below the belt, however the second bit was 100% true :)

Ah, f**k it i'm off, maybe see you all one day.

JFH "out".

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(
chill pill.jpg
Dont go JFH. The site needs all the aviators it can get.I prescribe one of these for you and two for Seadog..:glasses8:

Wightsparker

War Hero
Although perhaps famous for playing RAF types - including Douglas Bader in Reach for the Sky - actor Kenneth More was in the RN during WW2.( He did play a Royal Navy captain in "Sink the Bismarck!", though.)

And actor Howard Lang ( Captain Baines in TV's The Onedin Line) was also ex-RN.

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Chris Kamara was a matelot: Chris Kamara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unbelievable!
Yep, he was. I was at Ganges with him (72-73) and we both played for Ganges first XI. Believe me, he was nothing special but his pace (he was fast as hell as a 15 year-old) got him noticed. He developed very quickly thanks to being spotted by the Head RN Coach when he was drafted to a Pompey ship and, full credit to him, raised his game enough to get a chance with Portsmouth's Youth team. It was up & away from there. Really nice bloke and he deserves all the success he's had, he's worked hard.

Rocky46

Les McGuire was the pianist in Gerry and the Pacemakers through out the 1960s He joined the Royal Navy in October 1972 HMS Ganges 221 Class I know because I was in the same class and he was class leader.

I first met Les in Collingwood 1973 whilst we were under training. The next time I met him was last year 2018 out here in Turkey. He has a holiday home here and I live here. We see each other at pub quizzes now and again.
Les McGuire was the pianist in Gerry and the Pacemakers through out the 1960s He joined the Royal Navy in October 1972 HMS Ganges 221 Class I know because I was in the same class and he was class leader.

Frostie

Sir Peter O'Toole (played Lawrence of Arabia and who holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations for acting without a win) served in the RN during National Service. He served as a signalman and to his credit played Fly Half for the Navy in 1956. I hosted him a couple of times at corporate events at Twickenham. He had never been to watch an Army V Navy game so we invited him as a VIP the following year ... 2007 I think?

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Frostie.....I don't think O'Toole ever accepted his knighthood when he was named in the Honours List......he was never "Sir" and never went to Buck House to get dubbed. He considered himself irish (even though he was born in Leeds, apparently!!) and didn't recognise the monarchy, etc, etc. zzzzzzz. Richard Harris (possibly the most accomplished irish actor of all) thought that O'Toole was a complete joke.
You're correct to state that he wore the crossed flags of a Signalman when he did his national service, but in fact he was a Coder, which was a sub-branch of Signalman. Their badge had a "C" underneath the crossed flags device. I've attached a pic......Coder's Branch badge.jpg

Frostie

Thanks for that Mackan, always good to hear the back story etc. Hadnt heard of a 'coder' before ..live and learn eh?

Stirlin

War Hero
Frostie.....I don't think O'Toole ever accepted his knighthood when he was named in the Honours List......he was never "Sir" and never went to Buck House to get dubbed. He considered himself irish (even though he was born in Leeds, apparently!!) and didn't recognise the monarchy, etc, etc. zzzzzzz. Richard Harris (possibly the most accomplished irish actor of all) thought that O'Toole was a complete joke.
You're correct to state that he wore the crossed flags of a Signalman when he did his national service, but in fact he was a Coder, which was a sub-branch of Signalman. Their badge had a "C" underneath the crossed flags device. I've attached a pic......View attachment 40890
Harris probably said that about O'Toole cos Peter could drink him under the table. Harris had the nickname 'Muesli'.
Pete and Richard were appearing in a play together which had a pub next door , before the matinee they were giving it welly in the pub , during the interval they were back in the pub. Pete was first on after interval and he overheard a woman in the front row say to her friend that ' O'Toole is drunk ' he replied ' Madam , if you think I am drunk wait till you see Harris '

That tale is from O'Toole's appearance on the Parky show.

Frostie

I can certainly verify your line of attack ...I sat with Peter at Twickers over a long lunch prior to a game on a fine Saturday. Lost count, but believe that we polished off a good 6 pints of Guinness and a bottle or two of red wine before taking our seats. A sharpener or two afterwards was also in order. I remember him telling me that he had just been refused acting/liability insurance and was finding it difficult to find new employment however the reason why eluded him!!

Winny

Badgeman
Just a random dit .....

One of my oppo's told me the time his ship was alongside in Malta can't remember the year must have been 98 or 99 and they met Oliver Reed in one of the local bars absolutely bladdered talking about his last job acting in the film Gladiator... apparently they stayed there until kick out spinning dits. As for me I remember seeing Ian Wright whilst on weekend leave travelling through London Paddington.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
We were Belize guardship (fairly sure it was the Achilles) when Jim Davidson came aboard with the then world acrobat act

Jim went to the SRs mess for a few, the backing female singers/dancers got rounded up by the wardroom and the acrobat guy went down the JRs - silly move, came up for his act and Jim told him to piss off before he killed himself, he was all over the place really funny especially as it was a small Leander flightdeck

Then Jim went ballistic as the hoccifers had invited over the RFA hoccifers and a lot of them had their wives with them - so he starts with 'I have come to entertain the lads, some of what I am going to do is outrageous - you either put up with it without complaint or leave now'

Next time I saw him was when he was installed as Worshipful Master of the Chelsea Entertainers Lodge 20 years later !