Famous/successful ex-Royal Navy people

nutty_bag said:
Heard that John Pertwee AKA Dr Who was one of three survivors when HMS Hood was sunk. Think it was by the Graf Spey, correct me if i'm wrong.

NB
Interesting one. Inspired me to look it up and according to wikipedia (however reliable that is), He was a crew member of HMS Hood and was transferred off the ship shortly before it was sunk. Could have been an episode of Dr Who!

We missed a great one, Ian Fleming,he was in the intelligence dept of the RN then went on to write a few books about some bloke called Bond,James Bond!

snowler said:
What about a REAL celebrity, Les McKeown from MUD! Except he joined the Pusser AFTER he had been famous with the 70's Glamgods. Last seen (by me) as a CCWEA at Forest Moor in 1997, just about to retire. Just to make the moment special, yes he did still have "TIGER FEET" at the Foggy Moor bop (busful of nurses etc etc etc).
Les Mckeown was in the Bay City Rollers, I know cuz I was in luv with him!

I think Alec Guinness was in the RN and commanded a landing craft during WW2

Edit - Bugger, I hadn't read Wet Blobby's post telling us all the same thing - d'oh!

But I do know that David Attenborough did his National Service in the RN

Hi always a civvy

I was on a destroyer, Saintes, with Johnny(Chopper) Capes. He was still a pirate then, 1955.

His story was that he was a leading stoker on a submarine out of Malta which was sunk, johnny escaped by holding an empty bucket over his head and breathing all the way to the surface. (The first free ascent?) He then swam ashore in Greece and was saved by some geurillas with whom he fought until the end of the war. When he was repatriated he claimed that he was advanced to PO before sailing on that last trip and claimed back pay as a PO. Cheeky sod.
His story was only half believed but nobody could dispute it or find any other explanation of his presence in Greece at the end of the war,
He was supposed to have been on a ship, years later, which went to a minor Greek port and the town turned out, with town band. The Captain thought it was for him but Johnny (Chopper) shouldered him aside and said `sorry mate. this is for me` Whereupon he was wined dined and feted by the town.
Alastair Mars, and ex submarine CO, told a few tales about Chopper in a Newspaper series he was writing.
Truly a character.

Sir Don Gosling`s first yach was `Brave Goose` I was Captain of Brave Goose, but after Sir Don sold it. He was one of the founders, and I think the chairman for a while, of the White Ensign Association.

I used to berth alongside his yacht, forget which one, in Antibes. His Captain was an ex submariner and Sir Don was very courteous to me when he found out that I was an ex submariner too.

A very good friend of the RN and a true gentleman.

tufty

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
snowler said:
What about a REAL celebrity, Les McKeown from MUD! Except he joined the Pusser AFTER he had been famous with the 70's Glamgods. Last seen (by me) as a CCWEA at Forest Moor in 1997, just about to retire. Just to make the moment special, yes he did still have "TIGER FEET" at the Foggy Moor bop (busful of nurses etc etc etc).
Actually, he WAS called Les but he wasn't from MUD or the Bay City Rollers - he was the pianist with Gerry and the Pacemakers in the 1960's. I met him in Collingwood in the early 1970's and when I said I couldn't think where I'd seen him before - he put me right! Can't remember his second name though. He played cornet, I think, in Collingwood band and by all accounts was one good musician.

Tufty
www.s61.org

Shakey said:
I remember reading an interview in Loaded or summat years ago with that old bloke who used to be in the Avengers with the suit and bowler hat. Steed? Anyway, he was a Leading Torpedoman in WW2. He said it was a horrible job, firing torpedoes off and being responsible for killing people. :roll:
Patrick..McNee.....

tufty said:
rosinacarley said:
snowler said:
Actually, he WAS called Les but he wasn't from MUD or the Bay City Rollers - he was the pianist with Gerry and the Pacemakers in the 1960's. I met him in Collingwood in the early 1970's and when I said I couldn't think where I'd seen him before - he put me right! Can't remember his second name though. He played cornet, I think, in Collingwood band and by all accounts was one good musician.

Tufty
www.s61.org
Served with Les on the Sirius in the 80s . 25 years ago we went to the Falklands . He was a gentleman,
[/img]every time I hear there music I think of the fella. God bless yer Les.Hes the one on the right hand side