Famous/successful ex-Royal Navy people

snowler

Midshipman
What about a REAL celebrity, Les McKeown from MUD! Except he joined the Pusser AFTER he had been famous with the 70's Glamgods. Last seen (by me) as a CCWEA at Forest Moor in 1997, just about to retire. Just to make the moment special, yes he did still have "TIGER FEET" at the Foggy Moor bop (busful of nurses etc etc etc).

Scribes said:
I remember New Year's Day 1992, Desert Shield in full swing, we're enjoying a few days off in Bahrain..........
I think you are one year, and a couple of weeks out Mon Ami, Desert Shield ended 0200 local time 28 Jan 1991 and Desert Storm began - 'cos I was at Riyadh when they shut the b****y airport, and my BA plane was sat at the gate waiting for me!
Still, I did get double pay (and a gong) for having to stay there... :grin:

ps My original message was going to be:

I think Nigel Lawson was in MTB Gay Charger ..... it's on another hread somewhere.. :smile:

wet_blobby

War Hero
Sir Alec Guinness served with the navy during ww2, dont know what rank. He served on landing craft during D-Day.

whitemouse said:
I think you are one year, and a couple of weeks out Mon Ami, Desert Shield ended 0200 local time 28 Jan 1991 and Desert Storm began...
Bugger, you're right of course. Ok, make that new Year's Day 1991. :oops:

Shakey

War Hero
I remember reading an interview in Loaded or summat years ago with that old bloke who used to be in the Avengers with the suit and bowler hat. Steed? Anyway, he was a Leading Torpedoman in WW2. He said it was a horrible job, firing torpedoes off and being responsible for killing people. :roll:

Scribes said:
whitemouse said:
I think you are one year, and a couple of weeks out Mon Ami, Desert Shield ended 0200 local time 28 Jan 1991 and Desert Storm began...
Bugger, you're right of course. Ok, make that new Year's Day 1991. :oops:

Noo problemo.... - I can't say I believed it was happening until the Saudi crabfats brandished their weapons and chivvied us out ! (slightly off thread, but what the heck, it gets the ramblings going) :razz:

nutty_bag

War Hero
Heard that John Pertwee AKA Dr Who was one of three survivors when HMS Hood was sunk. Think it was by the Graf Spey, correct me if i'm wrong.

NB

slim

War Hero
nutty_bag said:
Heard that John Pertwee AKA Dr Who was one of three survivors when HMS Hood was sunk. Think it was by the Graf Spey, correct me if i'm wrong.

NB
Your correct, he was a naval officer and joined hood just prior to her sinking, however he was probably better known as CPO Pertwee of HMS Troutbridge in the radio Navy Lark series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Pertwee

nutty_bag said:

NB
He was in Hood, but drafted off before the battle. He went to Intelligence, and served a stint with Jim Callaghan.

See what you learn about past Dr Who's.... obviously a misspent youth in Shore bases !! :wink:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
nutty_bag said:
John Pertwee was not one of the three survivors when the Bismark / Prinz Eugen sank the Hood, however he had served on teh Hood and was lucky enough to be drafted shortly before she was sunk.