Family history

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theoldblackram, Mar 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two years ago one of my parents was arrested for growing pot and subsequently sent to prison. The crime that my parent was found guilty of was “growing with intent to supply†– dealing in layman’s terms. The legal definition of “intent to supply†can stretch as far as passing a joint to a friend and as far as I know that parent never made any money out of his dope habit but either way they were in prison and are now a criminal. Obviously I intend to raise this with my ACLO during my sift interview because being an officer is about integrity and honesty and if the RN is as good as I am hoping this will all come out in a security check anyway.

I don't want to get into the legality debate because the issue here is how to best approach the subject. I have read and agree with the RN policy on drugs. My opinions regarding what the law should be (compulsorily rehab rather than jail) are of no importance here because the law is the way it is. I am pleading my case and would appreciate some honest responses. As a child growing up in Liverpool, until I left for university, I was largely surrounded by pot smokers and never really had much concept of just how unusual this actually was.

I never touched the stuff until I went to university. My parents never discouraged me from pot smoking and lots of my peer group at school actively encouraged it. As much as I love and respect my parents, I saw what lazy, unmotivated and disorganised people pot made them and I was just never tempted when I was around them. I dabbled at university because curiosity got the better of me and I had a genuine desire to understand my parents motives/their addiction/ I don’t know I just wanted to know why they smoked so much pot. Why being high always took precedent to them over everything else. I still don’t understand it now and it gets under my skin because they are intelligent people who both made something of themselves when they were young only to blow it all as they got older.

So basically my question is
    How do I raise the issue of my parents’ jail sentence with my ACLO or should I raise it at all?
    And how would an ACLO respond to talk about my own drug use at university. Would my history just be passed off as an elaborate excuse?

2. The answer is in your posting. Just tell him you are from Liverpool and by the time he has finished laughing, he will have forgotten what the question was.

3. lol Liverpool is the centre of the known universe mate.

4. That's not a great recommendation for the universe

5. It's a well known fact that matter revolves around the most dense part, and from what I hear, Liverpudlians are pretty dense.

6. A quick answer BR is leave it out of your interview, it's an accepted fact that most uni students have tried dope of one kind or another anyway, it's par for the course - ask Tony Blair and Bill Clinton - didn't harm their carerrs much....try and quell your paranoia....

7. Which is caused by the use of drugs.

8. I wouldn't bring up your own use, my understanding is that the RN accept that you may have dabbled outside of service but providing you accept it was wrong and no longer do such then theres no need to bring it up. As for your parents i'm not sure, but being honest and open will hopefully get you a long way, putting a spin on it to say its drove you forward to be a person who dislikes drugs or whatever might be a good idea?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Geographic upbringing has no relevance by way of an excuse with regard attitudes to criminality. I was brought up in Liverpool also but my parents didn't elect to risk going to prison by embarking in wholesale drugs production, despite the fact that others may think it acceptable.

As long as you weren't implicated in the production & intent to supply recreational drugs, or have not been prosecuted for using recreational drugs then this will be verified by the Defence Vetting Agency during your security checks.

You will be asked about drugs in your interview anyway- What matters is your attitude to drugs- if you think it's acceptable within the services, have only stopped taking drugs so that you may join, then the services aren't for you. If you accept the RN Drugs Policy & have no convictions, then there isn't a problem.