Family at HMS Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by spearfisher, Jul 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Appologies if this subject has been covered before, but I couldn't see it anywhere.

I am looking for a bit of information about passing out at HMS Raleigh. In particular i'm interested in finding out how arrangements are made for the attendance of family members.

Does the Navy pay for your family to get to Raleigh? And if so is it limited to a certain number of family members? What method of travel is allowed (flights,train etc)?

Coming from Scotland its quite difficult (and expensive) to get to Plymouth. It would be a very long journey for the Mrs with two young kids on the train so flying would be the preferred method.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

2. No, the Navy won't pay for your family to attend, nor will they pay for their accommodation. I think your allowed 8 family members but don't quote me and how they get there is up to you.

All this will be explained in detail when you are in Phase 1.

3. Thanks wreckerL,

Looks like we are going to have to front up the travel/accommodation costs ourselves. Anyone would think theres a shortage of cash at the MoD ffs!

4. Don't worry, it's not personal. The Navy have never paid for families to attend and tbh, why should they.

5. I don't know! I know I wouldn't if it was my 'business'!

I did mention I am Scottish didn't I?

The buffet better be good though otherwise theres no point!

6. What makes you think there'll be a buffet?

7. We had a Raleigh brief by one of the PO's who had been there in may. He said that the familes were taken for a 'buffet lunch' while the recruits were off getting sorted. Is this not the case?

A bad buffet is one thing, but no buffet and she definitely won't want to come!

8. Yes, there is a buffet. I just wondered why mentioned it. Whether it's good or bad depends on your buffet standard. Tell her it's crap and save a fortune.

9. I think that your family will have to fly into Exeter, Spearfisher.

10. Really? I thought you could fly from Glasgow to Plymouth using Airsouthwest?

Is there any other reason why you would fly to Exeter?

11. Last time I flew down from Glasgow we changed aircraft at Bristol and then on to Plymouth but I believe Plymouth Airport has now shutdown therefore Exeter is the nearest.

Edited to add Stix beat me to it and Air SouthWest have just pulled the plug on Newquay as well

12. Ah nightmare! Thats why I can't get a price for flights on their website for October. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks guys.

13. Bucky yes. but sandwiches? eating is cheating don't you know? are you some kind of fembot?

14. Fair point, only thinking of the Mrs though.. she goes mental if she doesn't have her 10 deep fried mars bars, 50 fags and 2 bottles of vodka per day.

15. Road or rail, rail is expensive but she'll have the bar or take a carry out.

16. Scotish and wants subsidising and not even in yet, what a surprise :-D

Lucky you get your fare paid to get to Raleigh the way of the Countries finances these days

Edited for crepe spilling an tis tsill cape

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  17. But you won't get the return journey paid for you if you get hoofed out of Phase 1.

18. Do you get to keep your walking boots?

19. No, their trainers, so they can run for the bus. (81C)

20. They can afford a bus?