Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Officer awarded rare clasp"

Re: Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Officer awarded rare cla

I love the press, they really can make a silk purse from a sows ear.

'Whilst serving on Bulwark our hero save 2,000 lives.'

(Read - issued blankets to those rescued).

But seriously. Survived 30 years - wow!!!

I've got the bar as well (or clasp as the journo's call it), I didn't know it was rare!!! Does that increase the value of my LS&GC on E-bay?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Waspie said:

Falmouth Packet said:
...In 2004 he was promoted to warrant officer and was subsequently drafted to HMS Bulwark where was involved in the rescue of over 2,000 refugees from Beirut...
I know you were joking, but it was slightly more involved than that - I was on board at this time, and know WO Chope very well. A lovely bloke and a deserved reward... :salut:

As an aside, the only other person I knew who had a bar (at least one, I believe) was WO2 Bean RM, who I "met" when I had the pleasure of his company and experience as a young rating in RNDQs in 1990. He joined the Corps just after WW2 and had served as an Instructor in DQs since 1967! A legend and a truly inspiring man. He certainly left a lasting impression on me...

Also served with 'Chopper' when he was a Chief Jack Dusty, a very nice gent and all round good egg, this award doesn't come as a surprise its well deserved. Just to name drop I also served with 'Runner' Bean in the mid 1990's, well I say served, he was a instructer and I was a Student at the MCTC portsmouth. Another true Gent even when he was being Mr Nasty Screw.

sgtpepperband said:
Waspie said:

Falmouth Packet said:
...In 2004 he was promoted to warrant officer and was subsequently drafted to HMS Bulwark where was involved in the rescue of over 2,000 refugees from Beirut...
I know you were joking, but it was slightly more involved than that - I was on board at this time, and know WO Chope very well. A lovely bloke and a deserved reward... :salut:

As an aside, the only other person I knew who had a bar (at least one, I believe) was WO2 Bean RM, who I "met" when I had the pleasure of his company and experience as a young rating in RNDQs in 1990. He joined the Corps just after WW2 and had served as an Instructor in DQs since 1967! A legend and a truly inspiring man. He certainly left a lasting impression on me...
....and me.