Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Officer awarded rare clasp"

Waspie

War Hero
Re: Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Officer awarded rare cla

I love the press, they really can make a silk purse from a sows ear.

'Whilst serving on Bulwark our hero save 2,000 lives.'

(Read - issued blankets to those rescued).

But seriously. Survived 30 years - wow!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

I've got the bar as well (or clasp as the journo's call it), I didn't know it was rare!!! Does that increase the value of my LS&GC on E-bay?

timex

Lantern Swinger
At least his arrived before he left..its going to cost a fortune to get my medals remounted. 8O 8O 8O

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Waspie said:

Falmouth Packet said:
...In 2004 he was promoted to warrant officer and was subsequently drafted to HMS Bulwark where was involved in the rescue of over 2,000 refugees from Beirut...

I know you were joking, but it was slightly more involved than that - I was on board at this time, and know WO Chope very well. A lovely bloke and a deserved reward... :salut:

As an aside, the only other person I knew who had a bar (at least one, I believe) was WO2 Bean RM, who I "met" when I had the pleasure of his company and experience as a young rating in RNDQs in 1990. He joined the Corps just after WW2 and had served as an Instructor in DQs since 1967! A legend and a truly inspiring man. He certainly left a lasting impression on me...

gypquitacorrie

Lantern Swinger

Also served with 'Chopper' when he was a Chief Jack Dusty, a very nice gent and all round good egg, this award doesn't come as a surprise its well deserved. Just to name drop I also served with 'Runner' Bean in the mid 1990's, well I say served, he was a instructer and I was a Student at the MCTC portsmouth. Another true Gent even when he was being Mr Nasty Screw.

Stirling

Banned

sgtpepperband said:
Waspie said:

Falmouth Packet said:
...In 2004 he was promoted to warrant officer and was subsequently drafted to HMS Bulwark where was involved in the rescue of over 2,000 refugees from Beirut...

I know you were joking, but it was slightly more involved than that - I was on board at this time, and know WO Chope very well. A lovely bloke and a deserved reward... :salut:

As an aside, the only other person I knew who had a bar (at least one, I believe) was WO2 Bean RM, who I "met" when I had the pleasure of his company and experience as a young rating in RNDQs in 1990. He joined the Corps just after WW2 and had served as an Instructor in DQs since 1967! A legend and a truly inspiring man. He certainly left a lasting impression on me...

....and me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Make Thousands Of PPE Face Masks For Care Workers" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Face Of The Base: The Culdrose Crew Always On Call" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Major Anti-Submarine Exercises Off Cornwall Biggest Since Cold War" The Fleet 11
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Mawnan Man Wins Royal Navy Sports Personality Of The Year Award" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Culdrose Crew Describe Night Rescue Of Fishermen During Storm" The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Culdrose 'Tank' Is One Of Navy's Top Fliers" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Royal Navy Flag Ship Faces Tough Test Off Coast Of Cornwall" The Fleet 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Falmouth Plan To Restore 100-year-old Naval Steam Cutter" History 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Navy Officer From Penzance In Female First For Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Truro Pupil Is Flying High" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "New Faces In Charge Of Helston SAR Helos" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS News story: RFA Tideforce docks in Falmouth ahead of entering service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £15m defence contract for A&P Group in Falmouth MoD News 0
S Falmouth could get Royal Navy Reserve Unit Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Falmouth Pkt: "Cornish Pirates Players Put Through Their Paces By Culdrose Trainers" The Fleet Air Arm 0
BillyNoMates Falmouth - Saturday afternnon Diamond Lil's 11
trelawney126 RFA Visits Falmouth Current Affairs 2
S Hms Falmouth Nato 71-72 Social & Reunions 4
soleil "New RFA Training Facility Opens At A&P Falmouth" RFA 0
trelawney126 Falmouth Regatta Welcomes RFA Current Affairs 1
BillyNoMates The Pay Packet Diamond Lil's 30
F Costa Packet cruise ship Current Affairs 58
tommo My local weekly newspaper "The Packet" 's mistake! Diamond Lil's 4
soleil Helston Packet: "Zippy Honoured For Long Service" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Seaweed HMS Endurance - galley packet Current Affairs 12
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: Lt Cdr Andrew ‘Tank’ Murray Clocks In Excess Of A Year – A Staggering 8,760 Hours - In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 31
MoD_RSS DIO completes essential improvements at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Forces Network: "RNAS Culdrose Leads Royal Navy Drone Research" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
W RNAS Ford in 1957 The Fleet Air Arm 0
J POV RNAS Yeovilton Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Sea Hawk crash RNAS Ford The Fleet Air Arm 11
Walter_white RNAS Yeovilton and RNAS culdrose Summer leave Bases / Shore Est 1
F WW1 RNAS/RAF Station History 5
MoD_RSS News story: DIO showcases infrastructure progress at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
H RNAS Yeovilton - Draft Bases / Shore Est 9
MoD_RSS News story: Army Air Corps praise new facilities at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
dustyjack Around 120 RNAS Yeovilton jobs to move Current Affairs 3
Seaweed HMS Owl / RNAS Fearn History 1
F RNAS Yeovilton work experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M RNAS Prestwick Gym Bases / Shore Est 13
soleil RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day - Saturday, 26th July 2014 The Fleet Air Arm 34
soleil West Briton: "RNAS Culdrose Sailors Thank Shoppers For RNRMC Donations" The Fleet Air Arm 0
R RNAS FORD (HMS Peregrine) The Quarterdeck 20
soleil Somerset County Gazette: "The High Risks Of Low Flying At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Handler RNAS Yeovilton 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2013 - Wednesday, 24th July 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 17