Falklands War - "Red Cross Box"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by alfred_the_great, Jun 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News to me

2. This was news to me too so I looked up SS Uganda on Wiki:

That so many casualties survived is testament to Rick Jolly's 'Red and Green Life Machine', of course. Not a single British or Argentinean casualty who reached his field hospital alive succumbed from their injuries which is why he was unique in being decorated by both sides involved in the conflict.

3. A good testament not only to Rick Jolly but also for the Divers who acted as stretcher bearers and nurses, good naval training

4. I've heard of it. I was on the Uganda (NP1830) during the war and in my journal I have a few entries about going into and out of the red cross box

5. You must know an oppo of mine, he was a bootie bandsman on Uganda. After his experiences on there he transferred to the medical world, leaving the mob as a POMA.

6. Were you one of Bernie's 'boys'?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the red cross box was fairly common knowledge at the time, certainly I was aware of it.

8. Only on the Gaviscon (attatched) Did know quite a few of the Devonport based CD's as well as a few of the Pompey ones Artie Shawcross, Johnie Friar etc. The character who always stands out in my mind is Charlie Chapman....believe that he must have been Rumrats white twin.

9. See front row far right:

PCDT Redwingers 1980 med.jpg

Have you read 'The Forgotten Few of the Falklands' available here?

10. Thanks I have now :-D