Falklands War question

Discussion in 'History' started by cat_food, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`ve currently been reading up on the Falklands War and was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question for me. i`m sure after 25 years, what I`m asking would`nt be considered classified but I`m sure I`ll be corrected if wrong.
    How far in advance of the task Force were SBS/SAS recce parties landed on the island ? What was the initial method of insertion ? Were parties landed by submarine or was insertion solely by helicopter once the Task Force was in area ?

Any info appreciation.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I remember the day before the San Carlos landings, the entire crew was briefed that the SAS/SBS were going to perform a 'Son et lumiere' to divert the Argentine forces away from the area of the landings, so they were certainly there well in advance of the main thrust.

Press speculation at the time was that they'd been there for weeks, but I honestly don't know. Certainly there was no land-based opposition to the actual landings & we were lead to believe they had been neutralised. Reading some of the books published soon after seemed to verify this.

So far as I'm aware they would've been inserted by helo, as they were at South Georgia as there were British warships lurking nearby. Whether a submarine insertion was undertaken, I haven't a scooby other than it was unlikely to have been from Conqueror.

3. According to The Official History of the Falklands Campaign Vol II (Revised and Updated Edition) by Professor Sir Lawrence Freedman (p.278):

4. Certainly it was a mixture of air and sea; for example in additon to what Ninja stated, a number of Special forces were inserted by submarine, HMS ONYX. A good book to read is
    Secret War for the Falklands by Nigel West, published 1997, Little, Brown & Company Hardcover - Amazon.co.uk

5. we sent some from Hermes to Pebble Island & there were less came back than went. Not to mention the Seaking that was stripped down of everything & then got "lost".

6. Conqueror's involvement with SF ended after South Georgia when they were cross-decked to Antrim (this is in the public domain). A certain "O" boat may have been involved in inshore SF ops but I don't know the detail and it may not be in the public domain.

7. HMS Onyx

8. Been reading a lot on Falklands myself:

Important to note how 'late' the conventional sub arrived down south.

SBS were also launched from the trawlers / minesweepers when they arrived, the ramp at the back was especially handy for launching the boats.

I think Clapp in "Amphibious Assault Falklands' hints at nuke subs being used for insertion. Would recommend it to read, if you haven't already.