Falklands videos

Discussion in 'History' started by JamesH, Mar 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder whether any of you may be able to help.

I'm currently updating the RNA 10 site, with a day by day timeline of the Falklands conflict. I'm trying to locate video footage (royalty free if possible) of the major naval incidents.

I've written the Belgrano and Sheffield pages, not uploaded yet as I was hoping to do these closer to the respective anniversaries, and I've embedded some youtube videos.

If any of you have video footage, and would be prepared to have it hosted on the RNA 10 site I would be grateful.

I've scoured youtube, the majority is in Spanish, or with music overlaying the actual sounds - I'd really like to get as close to the news reports as possible

Also, if any of you have any personal reminisces, I'd really love to share them with a wider audience.

The Falklands page can be found here

Many thanks in advance.

James

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unfortunately unable to help with regard videos, but would be interested to see the results of your research.

3. As one who has only tenuous naval links (my father was in the RN in the 50's and 60's), added to the fact I was still only 16 in 1982, I had not heard of this. Could you elaborate, either here or (if you prefer) off boards?

4. Heard what?????......

5. I still have my cassette recordings of all the LBC news bulletins covering the period. Haven't played them for 25 years though! The tape might be fused. I've also got both Thatcher's & Reagan's statements, though I cannot quite remember whether they were during the crisis or after our victory over the Argies. Oooooh I feel old.... :(

6. It's that kind of thing that I'm after AaC, rather than a dry history that can be found in any textbook, I'd rather find the people behind the headlines, trying to explore how ordinary people fared in extraordinary circumstances. I'd also love to hear about the "home front" so to speak, I vaguely remember one incident, where it was reported that a ship had been hit, yet no name was given. How did the wives and mothers cope?

The major speeches from parliament are going to be made available, I'm still looking for the "Rejoice, rejoice" footage though.

The page is updated almost every day (Kids and holidays permitting), so please check back, and any comments are welcome.

James

7. James,

Discovery Civilisations broadcast the Falklands War series on 2 April, and the "Rejoice" footage was definitely shown. They may have access to the original footage:

Discovery Civilisations