Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falklands referendum

Handler

War Hero
The people of the Falklands had their votes counted, 98.8% for staying British and only 3 people voted against.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It will make not one iota of difference to the mad bitches' attempts at colonisation and her policy of distracting her people's attention from the real problems that they are facing.

Taloolah

Banned
It will make not one iota of difference to the mad bitches' attempts at colonisation and her policy of distracting her people's attention from the real problems that they are facing.

Well said.
Well done the Falklanders for flying the flag of common sense. Who the hell would want to be Argie- especially with their economy in a state of collapse ?
If it ever moves beyond talk, wondering what the UK response will be. I doubt we have the force of '82 to contend with an invasion.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Well said.
Well done the Falklanders for flying the flag of common sense. Who the hell would want to be Argie- especially with their economy in a state of collapse ?
If it ever moves beyond talk, wondering what the UK response will be. I doubt we have the force of '82 to contend with an invasion.

Yawn.

There will be no need for a response as the Islands are too heavily defended now, which is a significant deterrent. Which is what it is supposed to be.

The attempt in '82 was opportunistic, and they failed to hold their advantage. There will not be a repeat. Unless all the others pitch in and the Septics decided to give them a hand as well. And Assad in Syria, although he is a little pre-occupied at the moment.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I am actually astonished that it wasn't 100%. Practical jokers perhaps? All the islanders I ever spoke to were far more patriotic than your average Brit.

Tribalclass

Midshipman
3 "no" votes is quite low for spoiled papers = persons arsing about. Mind you, it could be my old mate Juan the "Chilean" mechanic, and his family. Nice bloke, so we ignored their original nationality.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Tribal, the Chileans despise the Argies with a real passion. I think that spoilt papers or jokers are more likely? Is that Juan the fridge engineer by any chance?

Tribalclass

Midshipman
Tribal, the Chileans despise the Argies with a real passion. I think that spoilt papers or jokers are more likely? Is that Juan the fridge engineer by any chance?

I have disguised his name and occupation for PERSEC reasons. Tongue in cheek comment though. It can be pretty tricky to put your X in the right place afetr 18 tins of Penguin beer.

Waspie

War Hero

Like many on here who was serving in 82.

We didn't think we had the resources then!!!! The government of the day was in the process of hacking the forces to bits - sound familiar!!!!!!

What has changed. As long as the political will is there we would overcome with what we have. (Or obtain from other nations).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Have to say, whilst it's jolly reassuring to hear the islanders overwhelmingly wish to stay British and all that, I'm not entirely sure what difference a referendum is going to make as it's a bit of a foregone conclusion.

From an Argentine perspective it makes little difference because if Argentina held a national referendum on whether the Falklands should be Argentinian, I'm fairly sure it would be a landslide t'other way.

Yep, fully aware it's about self determination & all that, but it doesn't achieve anything besides confirming that which we already knew. It actually panders to Argentinas persistent bleating and acknowledges there is a choice, on which the United Nations doubtless will feel obliged to voice an opinion and escalate that which we diplomatically consider non-negotiable.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
What did the actual referendum question say?

Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom? YES or NO (source Falkland Islands sovereignty referendum, 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So is it loaded towards a YES response, or does it suggest that the alternative would be independence (as opposed to a transference to another sovereign nation) without that being asked outright?

But I tend to agree, this exercise has done little good and may actually have done a little harm in just being asked as it suggests there is a debate when in fact there is none. They certainly aren't looking to go their own way so what was the point of it?

Bloody referendums, getting sick of hearing about them.

Handler

War Hero
Somewhere in a dusty old drawer there probably lies an old parchment with a contingency plan of some description.

Flagdeck

War Hero
The people of the Falklands had their votes counted, 98.8% for staying British and only 3 people voted against.

Are these the three ???

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Benny! Ah, the memories . . .

As Jasper Carrott once said - "Is he really like that? Because if not, he's a bloody good actor. And what's a bloddy good actor doing on Crossroads?"

fishhead

War Hero
There is oil in the seabed surrounding the F.I.s Not a lot has been found yet but the potential is there.Argentina is skint and a bit of oil money would come in handy so I don't think that any expression of loyalty to GB by the islanders is going to change the Argie government stance.

Guns

War Hero
I would have announced that it was 98% in favour of joining Argentina Then after they had gone on about how the vote showed that the islands belonged to them and it was perfectly alright gone on to say - Sorry our mistake.

Then watch them try and back pedal - so when it was in favour for you it was Ok???

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Winners of the Falklands Regional Student Competition 2019/2020 announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Concurso para estudiantes universitarios para viajar a Falklands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina agree new flight linking the Falklands and South America MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Falklands Fighter Ace Calls For Cost Controls Over UK’s £9.2bn F-35 Project" The Fleet Air Arm 45
SONAR-BENDER Falklands medal found RFA 14
MoD_RSS News story: Improvements to Mare Harbour jetty in Falklands complete MoD News 0
BRP Writing a novel about the Falklands War... History 30
J HMS Active reunion 35th Anniversary of Falklands homecoming Social & Reunions 4
Naval_Gazer 'Falklands 35' Charity Dinner Charity 8
Stirlin Falklands veterans mark 35th anniversary in Gosport The Quarterdeck 17
F RFA ships Falklands War research History 0
HistoryBoy AB David McCann, HMS Glamorgan died August 1982 (Post Falklands) History 6
janner The Falklands War. History 139
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary sees brighter future on Falklands visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Forces go to assistance of stricken cruise liner in the Falklands MoD News 1
Wightsparker Falklands rescue Current Affairs 1
Stirlin Abuse of Falklands Argentine conscripts. The Quarterdeck 8
Naval_Gazer 11th MCM Sqn (Falklands 1982) Reunion in Hull 13-14 Jun 2015 Social & Reunions 0
Tomahawk Apparently the sinking of the General Belgrano caused the Falklands War Current Affairs 11
soleil NW Evening Mail: Falklands Veteran Sub Leaves Barrow And Embarks On Her Final Voyage Submariners 3
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition FALKLANDS COMMANDO by Hugh McManners Competitions 17
soleil USMC Website: "EWS Students Gain Insight From Falklands War Commanders" History 0
soleil Record: "Video: Falklands Veteran David Cruickshanks Makes Return To Battle Scene" History 8
Pandaplodder Letchworth war veteran dies in Falklands after returning for Rememberance Day The Corps 0
R HMS Alacrity's "mine" run in the Falklands History 19
R Hermes and which ship and date & Glamorgan in Falklands The Fleet 22
soleil Times: "Royal Navy Ship Torpedoed Whales In Falklands" History 39
H The Falklands War Then & Now The Book Club 0
J Some questions on Falklands 1982 History 18
soleil Augusta-Margaret River Mail: "Veteran’s Memories Of The Falklands" History 1
soleil Bermuda Sun: "Action In Falklands Changed My Life’" History 4
BARNEYRNSM selling a Falklands Conflict medal. Charity 12
Stirling Falklands.....how close to defeat. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 45
F Argentina claims Falklands will be under their control in 20 years time Current Affairs 47
trelawney126 SirRex Hunt dies at 86 yrs old Falklands governor Current Affairs 0
Blackrat Memoirs of The Falklands Diamond Lil's 41
T PR:BF2 Falklands v0.1 Addon Gaming 0
G HMS Invincible (Falklands 82) Ships Reunion 2013 Social & Reunions 0
F Falklands style conflict looming in S.E. Asia Current Affairs 16
TeddyT USN report on Falklands Conflict History 18
H Falklands Memorial Plantation - rededication 06/12/12 Current Affairs 0
S Save the last surviving warship from the Falklands Conflict Petitions 12
soleil Herald: Iconic Image By Plymouth Photographer Captured End Of The Falklands Conflict The Corps 3
soleil BBC: "Remembering The Falklands Sacrifice 30 Years On" History 1
soleil BFBS: "Falklands Memorial For SBS Sergeant" The Corps 4
soleil Western Daily Press: "Insight Into Falklands War Father's World At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "‘It Was An Awful Loss – But What We Did Freed Falklands’ History 0