Falklands referendum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Handler, Mar 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The people of the Falklands had their votes counted, 98.8% for staying British and only 3 people voted against.

2. It will make not one iota of difference to the mad bitches' attempts at colonisation and her policy of distracting her people's attention from the real problems that they are facing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well said.
    Well done the Falklanders for flying the flag of common sense. Who the hell would want to be Argie- especially with their economy in a state of collapse ?
    If it ever moves beyond talk, wondering what the UK response will be. I doubt we have the force of '82 to contend with an invasion.

4. Yawn.

There will be no need for a response as the Islands are too heavily defended now, which is a significant deterrent. Which is what it is supposed to be.

The attempt in '82 was opportunistic, and they failed to hold their advantage. There will not be a repeat. Unless all the others pitch in and the Septics decided to give them a hand as well. And Assad in Syria, although he is a little pre-occupied at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I am actually astonished that it wasn't 100%. Practical jokers perhaps? All the islanders I ever spoke to were far more patriotic than your average Brit.

6. 3 "no" votes is quite low for spoiled papers = persons arsing about. Mind you, it could be my old mate Juan the "Chilean" mechanic, and his family. Nice bloke, so we ignored their original nationality.

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Tribal, the Chileans despise the Argies with a real passion. I think that spoilt papers or jokers are more likely? Is that Juan the fridge engineer by any chance?

8. I have disguised his name and occupation for PERSEC reasons. Tongue in cheek comment though. It can be pretty tricky to put your X in the right place afetr 18 tins of Penguin beer.

9. Like many on here who was serving in 82.

We didn't think we had the resources then!!!! The government of the day was in the process of hacking the forces to bits - sound familiar!!!!!!

What has changed. As long as the political will is there we would overcome with what we have. (Or obtain from other nations).

10. Well done to the Falklanders for voting for common sense and not tyranny that the mad argie bitch has planned.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say, whilst it's jolly reassuring to hear the islanders overwhelmingly wish to stay British and all that, I'm not entirely sure what difference a referendum is going to make as it's a bit of a foregone conclusion.

From an Argentine perspective it makes little difference because if Argentina held a national referendum on whether the Falklands should be Argentinian, I'm fairly sure it would be a landslide t'other way.

Yep, fully aware it's about self determination & all that, but it doesn't achieve anything besides confirming that which we already knew. It actually panders to Argentinas persistent bleating and acknowledges there is a choice, on which the United Nations doubtless will feel obliged to voice an opinion and escalate that which we diplomatically consider non-negotiable.

12. What did the actual referendum question say?

Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom? YES or NO (source Falkland Islands sovereignty referendum, 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So is it loaded towards a YES response, or does it suggest that the alternative would be independence (as opposed to a transference to another sovereign nation) without that being asked outright?

But I tend to agree, this exercise has done little good and may actually have done a little harm in just being asked as it suggests there is a debate when in fact there is none. They certainly aren't looking to go their own way so what was the point of it?

Bloody referendums, getting sick of hearing about them.

13. Somewhere in a dusty old drawer there probably lies an old parchment with a contingency plan of some description.

14. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Are these the three ???

• Like Like x 2
  15. Benny! Ah, the memories . . .

As Jasper Carrott once said - "Is he really like that? Because if not, he's a bloody good actor. And what's a bloddy good actor doing on Crossroads?"

16. There is oil in the seabed surrounding the F.I.s Not a lot has been found yet but the potential is there.Argentina is skint and a bit of oil money would come in handy so I don't think that any expression of loyalty to GB by the islanders is going to change the Argie government stance.

17. I believe that Argentina was offered an equal share of oil by HMG donkey years ago.

18. I don't think it's a share they want.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I would have announced that it was 98% in favour of joining Argentina Then after they had gone on about how the vote showed that the islands belonged to them and it was perfectly alright gone on to say - Sorry our mistake.

Then watch them try and back pedal - so when it was in favour for you it was Ok???

20. Shame that the same right to self determination was not offered to the Chagossians over 40 years ago.