Falklands info

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chockhead819, Nov 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. coming up shortly on Sky news

2. Well that was a very informative post.

Were you so excited you that couldn't wait to find out WTF it was about before posting?

Or are you the online version of the TV Times?

What's on BBC2 now then?

Any good films tonight?

3. PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. I was misinformed I was told the full launch was to be shown.
    :-(

5. After the announcements about next year’s commemorations I had a look on a few news websites on the current diplomatic situation with Argentina. Over the last couple of years it seems they’ve been upping the ante on their claim to the islands again. Also anyone else noticed the vast amount of Argentine posted anti-UK videos on youtube.com??? Clearly still a very popular issue! Surely they wouldn’t try and claim them by force again? Would they?

6. If they did, I doubt we would be able to pull off what we did in 1982 with our current commitments and lack of ships, aircraft and of course, Toady BLiar.

7. I think that is the general feeling, mainly due to present commitments around the globe, as well as the air defence gap.

A senior colleague of mine did, however, point out that although the UK does have a smaller military now than in 1982, we are more flexible and have some good hardware: - newer subs with TLAM etc, T23 with sea wolf etc, flexible LPH/CVS, Apaches, new LPDs, new LSD(A)s and so on. Also Argentine forces are considerably smaller than in 1982, and not as up-to-date as our own. The point being that, if we had to do it again and weren’t engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan, we could do it, just differently.

Not sure if I’d agree but I’d be interested to hear your opinions on that…

8. Perhaps it would be a fine time for the Argies to attack. This would give us a legitimate reason to pull our troops from Iraq in an honourable fashion. And at least we would know who we were fighting.

9. With reference to Falklands commemeration,I don't know if you guys have seen it but there is now a website on www.falklands 25 for booking tickets for horseguards and a history page.