Falklands Anniversary.

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by onions, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just read on MoD oracle that MOD and Buck house will not be sending representatives to the Falkland Islands to commemorate the 25th anniversary. MOD said that the archipelago's "unpleasant" and "chilly" weather during the summer means that Derek Twigg, Veterans minister, will stay in UK.

2. Disgusting! :mad: :evil:

They should have the courtesy to respect those who sacrificed their lives both to liberate the Falklands and save the Government's bacon! This is a case of putting political considerations (vis a vis not offending the Argentines) above respect. How quickly TB has forgotten that soundbite: Respect!

3. What a bunch of fecking spiness scum!!!We lost many good men that todays Polititians arent fit to lick the boots of!!!what would have happened if our lads said "bugger this for a game of sailors,its unpleasent and chilly!"

The sooner this bunch of cretins and self important nest featherers the better!!!

4. Let the prick stay at home then with his spoiled brat kids that will never serve and his wife who puts up with him shagging rent boys. Like most politicos' his presence is not required, these tossers insult the memory of our brothers" with their very existence.
    As for the Royal family, I can't believe they would not send someone, but stand to be corrected.

5. Andy Pandy would be acceptable, at least he was there

6. Just to add my bit as a Falklands vet, I also find this disgusting that the Veterans Minister will not be going to represent us at the anniversary. :evil:
    Too "unpleasant" and "chilly" for him is it? He should have been there at the time!!! How quickly people forget the sacrifice that others gave! If I could, I would gladly re-visit that inhospitable place to pay my respects to my fallen brothers. Lets hope someone with the bottle to put up with the "chilly" weather will make an effort!
    I will, as always, commemorate the anniversary in my own way.
    Bollox to the Politicians!! :evil: :twisted:

7. I have just submitted an E Petition for this on the No 10 website - it is waiting for "government team approprval" (no red tape there then) - once it's up and running I will post the link for you all to consider signing

Regards

Windy

8. Thanks Windy.

Steve.

9. I have to agree with Stripey_G, it was not all fun in the sun in 82, the veterans minister should be doing his job.

10. Oi, not ALL brown hatters are tossers mate! :evil: :sad:

Now where did I put my homosexual bicycle clips...

11. Thanks for that Always, lets just hope that it all goes to plan and they do what they say they will do. Thanks again. :razz:

12. Is this another case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing? The Mod oracle still has the article about non attendance listed. The Defence news article states that Mr Twigg will travel to the Falkland Islands in the AUTUMN as part of a SAMA 82 pilgrimage. So he will NOT be there for the actual annivesary.

Semper Strenuissima.

13. Link please Onions...

For those who wish to clarify matters further, the details of MOD Main Building are available here:
    http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/hmg.cfm#9

You can also contact the Veterans Minister, Derek Twigg MP via his own webpage, which conveniently provides a direct email link to his Parliamentary email address.

http://www.derektwigg.org.uk/sect5/

14. AAC, www.modoracle.com go to News & Media, click Archive article & Search. Search news articles click "here". Scroll down to "Bitterness over Falklands Anniversary, Sunday January 21, 2007. Sorry if this is long winded but I don't know how to do a direct link.

Semper Streuissima.

15. Well I have just sent my letter of to the so called Veterans Minister.

It was as follows:

Dear Sir,

I read with interest that you will not actually be in the Falklands for the 25th Anniversary but will be there in the Autumn instead.
    As an Ex Royal Naval Man I feel that it is your duty to attend this event on the actual day and not just go down in the Autumn as a visit.
    A lot of good men lost there lives down there in the name of Queen and Country and I feel it is only right that you respect them on the actual Anniversary and not when it suits certain people.

I feel that as Veterans Minister you should be there, as part of your Duty to all Serving and Ex Service personnel after all you are representing the likes of me and many more like me in paying our respects to the brave men who gave there lives for the freedom of those Islands.

After all it is us who are footing the expenses to get you down there in the first place so why cant you be there on the correct day?

Yours Sincerely,

Michael Nicholson
    Littlehampton

Ex RN and proud of it !!

16. Thanks Onions. The way to do it is to hold the cursor over the link and right click, then select Properties. Copy the URL displayed in Properties.

The full link is here.
    http://www.modoracle.com/news/detai...1&refresh=D01A37CF-D95A-4C85-B5D1DB272CC13852

Steve.

MP writing time folks!

To locate your MP click here: http://www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/

17. Thanks Nicks.

18. Whilst I respect your valour, do you really think they are going to take a blind bit of notice of these e-petitions?

They are there just to make us feel better.

I know. When our waterways petition had reached several thousand Tony admitted he didn't even known about it.