Falklands 82 - Sim

type42stoker said:
witsend said:
type42stoker said:
I have to say I am a not a fan of these simulated war games, all this 'Call of Duty' 'Medal of honour' etc.
Having lost my ship down south, I can't say I'd be a big fan of this one either. War is not pleasant and I find this interest in simulated killing, maiming, and death and destruction a little distasteful. Each to their own, I'm off to play Zelda on the Wii now. :wink:
I can see your point 42, especially if you've been there and lost mates/ship. But, you can't stop programmers writing what Joe Bloggs wants to play on his PC, Wii or PS3. People want to play war games, whether that be on a board, chess or Risk for example or via their screen.

I think the younger generation might be becoming brainwashed because of their exposure to first person shoot em up games. Who knows and time will tell. :roll:
Yeah Wits, I understand there will be people who will buy/play these games, it's just not me. As I said, each to their own. I do question the programmers morals, have they ever been in the situation to watch shipmates in distress, or to see their ship disappear beneath the waves with shipmates onboard? No, I doubt it, because if they had, they would have more respect than to write a 'game' about it.
Back to slaying mythical monsters via Zelda for me........ :roll:
My last ship before Corporate was the Sheffield. I was on Bristol, as a killick sparker down South, and my brother was a Heavy L on Hermes.

The killick bunting who managed to get off the Coventry (thankfully), is my daughters Godfather. Sam MacFarlane (the RS) was my killick sparker on Sheffield.

So you do have my sympathy T42. My intention was not to upset anyone.

I have decided to post no further updates with regards this "game".

Yours (with sincerest apologies) Aye

witsend said:
I wouldn't be too hasty Dit_Dah_Dit. 42 might not like it, but at least he understands that people want to play these games.
OK - Understood.

Some ship model renders were released today. By the way, the last picture of the Type 42 with the Mickey Mouse ears. To people who knew her, the only Type 42 to have those was Sheffield. However, the artists has furnished the one in the picture with the wrong pennant number (D118 (HMS Coventry), rather than D80 (HMS Sheffield)) - I have let them know they have ballsed it up.

Having said that, I think these are just general renders of ship types ...

Dit_Dah_Dit said:
type42stoker said:
witsend said:
type42stoker said:
I have to say I am a not a fan of these simulated war games, all this 'Call of Duty' 'Medal of honour' etc.
Having lost my ship down south, I can't say I'd be a big fan of this one either. War is not pleasant and I find this interest in simulated killing, maiming, and death and destruction a little distasteful. Each to their own, I'm off to play Zelda on the Wii now. :wink:
I can see your point 42, especially if you've been there and lost mates/ship. But, you can't stop programmers writing what Joe Bloggs wants to play on his PC, Wii or PS3. People want to play war games, whether that be on a board, chess or Risk for example or via their screen.

I think the younger generation might be becoming brainwashed because of their exposure to first person shoot em up games. Who knows and time will tell. :roll:
Yeah Wits, I understand there will be people who will buy/play these games, it's just not me. As I said, each to their own. I do question the programmers morals, have they ever been in the situation to watch shipmates in distress, or to see their ship disappear beneath the waves with shipmates onboard? No, I doubt it, because if they had, they would have more respect than to write a 'game' about it.
Back to slaying mythical monsters via Zelda for me........ :roll:
My last ship before Corporate was the Sheffield. I was on Bristol, as a killick sparker down South, and my brother was a Heavy L on Hermes.

The killick bunting who managed to get off the Coventry (thankfully), is my daughters Godfather. Sam MacFarlane (the RS) was my killick sparker on Sheffield.

So you do have my sympathy T42. My intention was not to upset anyone.

I have decided to post no further updates with regards this "game".

Yours (with sincerest apologies) Aye
No apologies needed Dit_Dah_Dit, it's just not my kind of thing, that's all. I do understand the interest, and I do understand that people will always want to play these type of games, and as long as we keep winning in the end, I guess I'm happy with that :wink:

witsend said:

I won't let my boy play them. He's 9, and I know some parents let their kids play these games and they are usually certified 15 or 18.

Now, if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd think that these games are written precisely to groom the younger generation into fighting the "Long War" :wink:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I admit to playing CoD4/MW2 et al but my boys (8 & 10) will have to wait, they are rated 15/18 etc for a reason.

That said I love these models of Falklands era aircraft and ships, I may have to purchase this to while away the hours in my cabin.

Inertial Nav/Attack system screen: It is a map display, but it is not digital (because it's a 1960s equipment), the map is displayed through 35mm film reels. It is the same equipment found also in the RAF Jaguar.

The map is part of the INAS, and needed alignment (something that didn't happened at first during Corporate because the crabs weren't able to align the system while onboard a moving aircraft carrier). As they established a beach-head in San Carlos, a makeshift forward base was made for the Harriers (just what V/STOL was invented for) so at the FOB it was possible to align the INAS and flight using the map display.