Falklands 25 Supplement

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by plymwebed, May 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Plymouth Herald's first (of two) Falklands War commemorative supplements has now been printed. Click here and click on reports to read the articles, as well as the archive of Herald reports looking back 25 years.
  2. Cheers for that link matey , seems like another age , cant believe the 1st gulf war started 16 years ago , where have the years gone ,
  3. It gets worse Don. I've been drawing my pension for 32 years. My wife and I celebrated our "Golden" last year. Our eldest daughter will be 50 in July. A great grandson is due to appear within a fortnight. Life just becomes a blur of events passing faster and faster.
    Still, I guess I must be lucky, at least I can still remember some of them!!

4. is anyone going to the Fareham parade next week? If so I will be the one hanging out of the window of the solicitors in west street taking phots!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My, how times have changed. It always used to be subtle, low key & adjacent to a bar by the dockyard gate.

Only joking mate!
  6. Which part(s) of you will be hanging out of the window then Rosie? :) May be worth joining in with the parade. :lol: :wink:
  7. Er Ninja and Brig, you know that was not what I had in mind!

And you have still not answered the question, is anyone going?
  8. I'll not be there me dears as I shall be instructing, plus the fact I am now a civvie and don't get invited to such dramatic events anymore. ;-)
  9. What day is the parade Rosie? I'm on restdays all week
  10. Saturday - I think you might find more information at Fareham BC website, it is they that are organising.

If you decide to go Buster let me know.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi Rosie,

Afraid I'll be up t'other end of the country for the Fareham one.
    Will be at the Southport (Murkeyside) one in the not too distant & am considering the one in Guzz, as 'my ship', Argonaut was based there. (Spent my time equally between Pompey, Guzz & Rosyth)
  12. Damn I'm already commited to a prior engagement with the RBL Riders branch saturday at Sammy Millers Museum
  13. You can read the first two installments of the Navy News Falklands 25 supplement in our April and May editions for free online at www.navynews.co.uk via our e-edition; there's also quite a bit in the mainstream part of the paper about Falklands anniversaries etc, plus an extract in the May edition from Rick Jolly's revamped Red & Green Life Machine. Part 3 (which I've just finished writing) will be in the June edition.

I have to say that's a very comprehensive site by the Herald chaps; lots of good first-hand accounts.
  14. Dogwatch and I went, and look who was there!

15. Is that you Rosie with the Grey hair stood next to the guy in maroon?
  16. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Read your account on the Belgrano sinking. The 'Pincer Movement' was a fallacy. Ventcinco de Mayo was struggling with a propulsion problem at the time and was in no real state to partake in the conflict being reduced in speed enough to make flightdeck work perilous. Plus the fact, they were well aware we had hunter-killers loitering off their coasts. The bald fact that John Nott goes public stating that any Argentine forces found within the 200 mile exclusion zone will be dealt with and then we send one of their ships to the seabed outside the TEZ (whilst it is knowingly returning to Ushuaia) is one such story I suppose we will never get to the bottom of. Were the Belgrano Group closing in on the Carrier Group and readying for engagement, I doubt there is anyone (including me) who would counter what Conquorer did. For me, all it did was tip the balance in favour of armed conflict; a blatant act of aggression.

17. No, you vark! If you look closely she is wearing the medals of her husband on the other side. This would mean of course that he has crossed the bar.
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What? He made his missus stand outside while he sat in The Crown with his pint?! 8O
  19. Have put some phots in the gallery