Falkland Islands: Oil boom or no oil boom?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Mar 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anticipation of a big oil find off the coast of the Falkland Islands is once again reaching fever pitch.

Full Story Here BBC News:

My window cleaner told me this morning that the government plan to mobilise Dad's Army just in case the Argentinians start polo mallet rattling over this possible bonanza.

2. Must be true then Finks!
  3. The problem isn't there being oil in the Falklands; everyone in the industry knows there's enough oil there to make it profitable. The problems lie with the nightmarish diplomatic wranglings that you will become embroiled in which present a reasonable risk of having your nice, shiny new rigs handed over to Pedro and his moustachiod men-at-work types.

Personally, I'll be investing my beer tokens in other such lucrative oil investments as BP and Libyan Oil Development Corporation...oh wait.
  4. No no, the libyan thing is a sure fire winner, once the coalition have got rid of godawful then the opposition will surely open up the offshore business and BP will have their contract back again..... always hopeful me.
  5. Your window cleaner is full of sh1t.............but, there again, you knew that ....didn't you !

6. Oh no he isn't, he was cleaning the windows where the Cobra meeting was taking place last Thursday and overheard it.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  7. Don't worry about Johnny South American we are still a force to be reckoned with according to our great leader, a gunboat or 3 will send a clear message.
  8. We'll bog em down with hundreds of riverboats,...
  9. Oh and don't worry, I bet the RAF are working out how to achieve air superiority down there as we speak.

"Now if only we had some sort of flat stable platform full of wafu's and foodspoilers."
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Strange, the lads doing the drilling don't. Having been in the Falklands recently, and chatting to some of these guys, they have mixed opinions over whether the oil is there or not and if it is, is it too difficult a location to drill in (depth, sea state etc.) None of them were at all sure that it was a viable operation.
  11. Without devolving this to a 'my mate in the Falklands oil industry says' conversation, my mate in the Falklands oil industry says otherwise (He drives ickly robots wot duz the sirvayin). The accessibility isnt a problem as the depth in the Falklands basin aren't the deepest that have ever been successfully drilled. There are problems that the sites with the greatest depth advantage fall close to the Argentine EEZ which presents some issues in terms of sovereignty and access. If viable sites can be found closer to the Islands themselves then it makes it more likely that successful drilling can take place.
  12. Must be true as I hear he is also a part time taxi driver as well...
  13. Desire Petroleum shares at a record low of 38.00 down from 160 at a high in july 2009.
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Obviously some contradiction there then. I believe there are two companies doing exploratory digs at present? Perhaps your oppo and the guys I spoke to are from different firms, or maybe it's just personal opinion on the part of all.
  16. Better cross check that with Fink's windowcleaner. :scratch:
  17. I am I right in what I've heard about us selling two T26 Frigates to the Brazilians? Who have said they would support Argentina if anything does start again...
  18. We are waging war for oil so it would be ingenuous to think that the Argentinians would be any different, only time will tell but don't worry our Armed Forces under the Tory led government are fit for purpose.

The window cleaner says yes.
  19. Your window cleaner obviously believes in transparancy.
  20. He does with the only caveat being that it does not pose a threat to our national security.