Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falkland Is - guard ship

Kev73

Midshipman
I was just inqiring if anyone knew... its is possible the ship has all ready set off for the south atlanic (which could mean its been in the press)

Waspie

War Hero
I was just inqiring if anyone knew... its is possible the ship has all ready set off for the south atlanic (which could mean its been in the press)

I think you may find the RN does not advise the press of operational ship movements. Especially something like the FI's unless they, (RN), are scare mongering regards the current situation re Argentina's sabre rattling. A normal ships deployment is rarely news worthy unless like the Daring Class which was the first of it's type to carry our the patrol and therefore was of interest to people.

It's one of those things, if the government or Admiralty wish we humble beings to know - they will publicise the matter.

Kev73

Midshipman
I think you may find the RN does not advise the press of operational ship movements. Especially something like the FI's unless they, (RN), are scare mongering regards the current situation re Argentina's sabre rattling. A normal ships deployment is rarely news worthy unless like the Daring Class which was the first of it's type to carry our the patrol and therefore was of interest to people.

It's one of those things, if the government or Admiralty wish we humble beings to know - they will publicise the matter.

in the press just before the Edinburgh left on her 2011 deployment!!!!

HMS Edinburgh leaves for South Atlantic, Falklands and South Georgia patrolling — MercoPress

and again for her 2012/13 deployment

HMS Edinburgh set to leave Portsmouth on her final... - Silobreaker

even the navy news ran a story the day they left

https://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/5885

so seeing how I even asked if anyone knew if a ship had already set off for the south atlantic.... it was not an unreasonable question...

senior member.... :neutral:

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
There you go. Did all the work yourself.

The power of google. Eeeee ain't the tinternet great.

Just goes to show you get the right answers if you look in the right place and you don't take the lazy route and ask others to do the work for you!

Maybe now you will leave us old sods to just fester and take the piss as we have since Site immemorial!!!

Kev73

Midshipman
There you go. Did all the work yourself.

The power of google. Eeeee ain't the tinternet great.

Just goes to show you get the right answers if you look in the right place and you don't take the lazy route and ask others to do the work for you!

Maybe now you will leave us old sods to just fester and take the piss as we have since Site immemorial!!!

yes google is great.... especally when used to show someone up!! I guess you have never asked a question before.

and here was me thinking asking a question about the Royal Navy on a Royal Navy forum would be ok!!!
Those press articles were easy to find seeing how I knewthe Edinburgh was down there and when she set off...
I’m afraid you just highlight the downfall of most forums.Someone comes on and asks a question and you start to giggle at your keyboard.

Waspie

War Hero
yes google is great.... especally when used to show someone up!! I guess you have never asked a question before.

and here was me thinking asking a question about the Royal Navy on a Royal Navy forum would be ok!!!
Those press articles were easy to find seeing how I knewthe Edinburgh was down there and when she set off...
I’m afraid you just highlight the downfall of most forums.Someone comes on and asks a question and you start to giggle at your keyboard.

Spot on. Passed a few moment before night shift.

Thank you!

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
does anyone know what ship is reliving the Edinburgh?

Yes. This one;

On 27/4/2006:
New joiner to the site...

joined RN in March 84

got to the heady heights of AB(R)(NAVS YEO)

Served on HMS Yarmouth (F101)
HMS York (D98)
HMS Guernsey (P297)

left in 92

Kev,

By age & by time at RR you are a "senior member" yourself but seem to have had a sense of humour failure somewhere along the line; remember 'banter' in the Andrew?

I'm guessing that you have a genuine reason for inquiring but I don't know the answer; suggest try a PM to Soliel as she might be able to help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Governor to Falkland Islands delivers annual address to Legislative Assembly MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Falkland Island Chapel Charity 1
MoD_RSS British Embassy in Argentina announces finalists of Falkland Islands Regional Student Competition 2019/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Why would I like to meet my neighbours in the Falkland Islands? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inscrições abertas para concurso cultural que vai levar estudantes às Ilhas Falkland MoD News 0
J Naval Party 8902 Falkland Islands - Hovercraft SRN6 The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS News story: Prime Minister's 2018 Christmas message to the Falkland Islands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Statement on an air link between South America and the Falkland Islands MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship" The Fleet 35
MoD_RSS News story: Prime Minister's 2016 Christmas message to the Falkland Islands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Falkland Islands reception: HMS Clyde MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Director Of Emergency Services - Falkland Islands - £70,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: Christmas 2014: PM's message for the Falkland Islands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: The Falkland Islands Referendum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Falkland Islands vote to remain British Overseas Territory MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Secretary re-affirms UK’s support for Falkland Islands MoD News 0
C HMS Kent and the Battle of the Falkland Islands 1914. History 26
DemobJob Sea King Mechanic - Falkland Islands - £35,683 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Guzzler The falkland islands Current Affairs 2
soleil BFBS: "Retracing 45 Commando's Falkland's Yomp" The Corps 0
DemobJob Sea King Technician req in Falkland Islands - £31k+ The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
F Argentina, Falklands, BBC and a Falkland islander's nationality Current Affairs 8
soleil Telegraph: "Britain Can Do 'Nothing' To Prevent Argentina Retaking Falkland Islands" Current Affairs 16
finknottle Falkland Islands: Oil boom or no oil boom? Current Affairs 21
H Leeds United Shirt to be auctioned for Falkland Veterans Charity 1
21_Man Falkland Ship Current Affairs 7
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "End of era for Falkland ships..." The Fleet 1
P FALKLAND ISLANDS DISCUSSION Current Affairs 39
L Falkland decree? History 0
O Argentina in Falkland sailing permit move Current Affairs 79
trelawney126 Three Soldiers Shot in Falkland Islands Current Affairs 3
soleil "Royal Navy Falkland's Veteran Flies Against Taleban" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil The Telegraph: "Falkland Islands to be left without Warship" Current Affairs 95
D Falkland's Vet with Parkinson's Disease gets Parkin' ticket Current Affairs 6
H Indulgence Flights to Falkland Islands for Veterans Current Affairs 8
chockhead819 FALKLAND ISLANDS PETITION Petitions 8
Father_Famine Remembrance Day Service - Stanley in the Falkland Islands Current Affairs 4
C Falkland vets? The Corps 16
F FALKLAND ISLANDS - 25 YEAR ANNIVERSARY - YEOVILTON AIR DAY The Fleet Air Arm 13
S Falkland 25th Anniversary Social & Reunions 0
janner Changing of the Guard The Fleet 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp SCC Armed Guard Video - HMS EXCELLENT March 3rd 2019 SCC and URNU 1
whitemouse Palace Guard The Fleet 6
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp On Your Guard (Ian) Miscellaneous 1
DemobJob Security Guard - ASAP - Boscombe Down The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S HMS FORWARD AND FLYING FOX Royal Guard at dedication of Naval Memorial Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Ship Will Guard Removal Of Chemical Stockpile From Syria" The Fleet 3
F Booties guard boaties Current Affairs 22
soleil Liverpool Echo: "Liverpool RN And RM Reservists To Guard Olympic Games Spectators" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Evening Standard: "Navy's Biggest Ship To Guard London Games" The Fleet 8