Fairbairn-Sykes knife

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Delrick, Feb 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that the F-S wasn't standard issue during the 70's - to save cash I expect.

But I read recently that they are issued today - "The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife carried by the Commandos ...." : Ewan S-T, '3 Cdo Bde Helmand Assault'.

I've got one, but only because I had a good mate who was an HQ storeman (and we were Rear Party !). You can buy nasty repros for about £35.:pottytrain2:

Are they now standard issue ? If so, when were they re-introduced ?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You could always buy one from the PRI shop.

I've got an original 1942 stamped one, handed down to me. I'm the third owner, never contemplated stitching it to my leg or webbing though.

Apart from slotting sentries or openning letters they aren't overly useful. The K-mark, leatherman, gollack etc all have had turns as flavour of the month, I doubt the F-S is back in fashion, if it is it'll be a dick waving reason.
  3. I have a commando dagger and leatherman, only because I did a stint in stores and the TQ ordered a limited amount. It seems they can only get so many and even then you are going to have to be in that click.
  4. W-B,

The Ewan S_T quote is next the a photo, and it's definitely an F_S in a Pussers leg sheath. I've had a quick look online, and it's confusing !

A good mate of mine has a couple of originals (only a few dozen in the first run) that came from his father who was one of the original instructors at Achnacarry. He was a Highland gamekeeper by trade. He grabbed one for himself and another..... for himself. One's well used, the other's mint, and a Yank offered him several grand for the mint one a few years ago. Your's will be worth a bit.
  5. Or have a storeman mate and you're both rear party ....

I've got a genuine Gollock too, circa Borneo/Malaya. Swapped a neat hand axe for it (another storeman ...)