My lads at Raleigh, while he's been there he's fainted 4 x while stood to attention.
He's done it today,he was sent to the medic who's taken blood, did blood pressure and put him on a heart machine. He's been told it will be a week before he hears the results. Is this fairly common? Before going there he's only ever fainted once and that was because he was having blood taken.
Not common, depends if he had breakfast that morning (assuming he fainted in the morning) and a host of other factors.

Usually someone will go if they're on Divisions on a hot day.


Book Reviewer
It was not uncommon for trainees to pass out when on parade on a hot day. They haven't yet learned the trick of not standing to attention so stiffly. It is always good practice when standing still for any length of time to wriggle ones toes inside your boots. It help keep the circulation going. Slightly shift the weight from one leg to the other helps too.


War Hero
Funnily enough, on Illustrious in 1993, we had an inexplicable spate of about a dozen people fainting over the course of our first sea week after coming out of refit.

They were all females on their first sea draft. The cause? They weren't going to breakfast and/or were skipping lunch. I kid you not.
I've asked him if he's been wriggling his toes (they told him to do that after the first time) so he knows it's not that. Plus he won't miss his breakfast ninja, he's 17 n always starving! Lol


War Hero
Plus he won't miss his breakfast ninja, he's 17 n always starving! Lol
My son is 17 too. If faced with the choice of breakfast or an extra 30 minutes in bed, he'll opt for the latter, catching-up with food stuff later in the day.

In Initial Naval Training many are surprised to learn there are two 6 o'clocks per day.

Hopefully it's the physical exertion of training coupled with a spot of low blood sugar at the start of the day, rather than something more serious.


Lantern Swinger
I never needed to do this personally but when I went through training we were always told we had the option of going down on one knee and removing our caps for 30 seconds or so if we started to feel faint. It was a kind of matter of pride not to have to do that but at least we knew it was an option if you felt you were about to go over. Obviously you stuck out like a sore thumb at that point so one of the parade staff would always come over to make sure you were ok before you stood up again.
A cap being too tight was a common cause of fainting so perhaps he might benifit from getting the next size up?
Well,I've just had a call from the medic at Raleigh. They're dismissing my lad on medical grounds. They've said he can apply again when he hasn't fainted for over a year. He's only ever fainted before when he was having his blood done. He said he might 'bulk' up and be ok next time.


War Hero
Sorry to hear the news. On a positive angle they are doing what is best for him and his personal health is more important than any job.

Hopefully he remains keen and comes back next year.

The problem with fainting is what you hit when you fall. I saw a particularly nasty incident once with a chap in a ceremonial guard who narrowly avoided serious injury with a bayonetted rifle.

Good luck to your son.
Thanks,he's upset obviously it's all he's ever wanted to do. They are going to send a medical report so once I get it I will make an appointment with the Gp see if we can get to the bottom of it.


War Hero
Sad day for my lad, we've just got in. He's had a full day traveling. But, he's determined he's going to appeal and he will be going back asap!
He doesn't need to appeal, all he need do is re-apply after the mandatory symptom-free time period has elapsed, together with proof from his GP that he has had no recurrence during that time.

He needs to apply about a month before this period elapses so that his medical records can be retrieved from storage and approval gained to re-enter.

The period that must elapse cannot be appealed against as he cannot claim he did not faint, therefore the service is obliged to ensure a duty of care to the individual.
I'm just going of what they told him before he left. They've actually told him (and me) that he should go to the careers office on Monday and reapply. They also said he should appeal against the decision so the 12 months without fainting can be lifted.
He has to wait until next week for the result of some tests they did and take them to the GP and arrange further tests.
He's only ever fainted before when he was having blood taken so hopefully it can be sorted asap.


War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's a rough deal from life. It happens throughout the fleet. We had a seasoned, time served matelot face plant a cracker last week here. The sound it made was enough to turn the rest of the parade Green. Funnily enough, I remember from hot days at BRNC it was the foreign students that used to go down first. We used to have a 50p in the pot wager, that starting from 1100, what minute the first collapse would be.

Which all, of course, is no comfort to you Dee. Ride out what needs to be done. At least it's a TMU and not a PMU. Keen on at him to keep his fitness up. He can pass the time by undertaking Operation MASSIVE. Keep him busy and Anchor Faced. If there is something he can do like helping out at a Sea Cadet unit locally. But you know your lad best of all, it's not all people who have such a supportive mum... ;)
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
duggers20 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11

Similar threads