Failing phase two

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ChickFunk, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has been popping in, and out of my head for a while now:

But what will happen if I start to fall behind with my proffesional training, fail exams or am not up to the standard of mathematical fluency (GCSE C grade.)

Would I be given branch transfer choices, or just plain kicked out?

I've waited two years for this, and have another two years to get through training so obviously worried would be an understatement!!

(Awaits incoming flak/piss take)

2. You'll be out on your ar$!, think positively, work hard, study and you'll succeed.
    Two years may sound like a long time, but once you're into it the time will fly by.
    Good luck.
    NZB

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Getting taught in the military isn't like school. It is very methodical, thought out and good.

Your instructors will be the puppeys gonads, it isn't a job for them it's a way of life. You'll be fine.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

NZB & Blobbs are both right- don't think failure, be positive.

You are no slouch academically to have passed the recruiting test for CT- it's the highest score for all ratings trades.

You have the intellectual capacity to pass phase two training, you've waited probably two years to join- only a nugget would blow it after all the effort taken so far.

Good luck!

5. I wish the education I received in school had matched the pusser RN training courses I went on when in the RNXS. I'd have left school with good A level grades!

6. If you want to pass phase 2, you will. People who fail phase 2 aren't putting enough effort in, they allow themselves to be distracted by other things. Focus on the training, ask questions when you don't understand things and you'll be fine. Remember that the RN doesn't want people to fail, they are putting loads of effort in to help everyone pass. Ultimately, though, it's up to the individual.

7. Not the case with CT course I'm afraid, I've known people fail the course and it was by no means through lack of effort, they'd spend hours revising both written work and practical but to no avail. Some people simply cant' grasp it. Having said that if you do struggle you'll have both your classmates and instructors to assist you.

8. I don't know if it's still available but many years ago when at training establishments Dog Watch instruction was always available.
    So if you are weak on a subject you should take any available extra help.
    However you state that you have waited two years for this, why did you not do something about it before.
    As the Chief GIs used to say "Those wots keen gets fell in previous"

9. Slim, alot of the training is classified, so revising before course isn't possible as those going on course don't know the content! If its like when I was on CT course in the early 90's then taking notes out of the training block isn't possible however, there is always the opportunity as you say for the good ole Dog Watch instruction.

10. #

Please read my comments. GCSE maths which is the weak area specified is certainly not classified. Instruction is widely available both in the services and in civvie street. I am fairly certain that help for this in the dogs would have been available during part 1 training. If this is not the case I will be very surprised.
    So if someone knows that they are weak in a core subject they should use some CDF and prepare in advance.
    Rant over.

11. Maths isn't mentioned as a "weakness"(although it is mentioned along with professional training and failing exams).

I purely mentioned that revising for CT course before going on course, in places isn't possible due to the nature of the subject matter involved.

12. Maths certainly is mentioned. Which means that the writer knows they are lacking knowledge in this area.
    I don't know if the writer is joining as a CT or not. Obviously some branches (very few) will be working with classified material. However for most branches the level of part 2 is subjects taught are at an extremely low level.
    No excuse for lack of preparation.
    Am I alone in thinking that many of today young need their hands holding all the time?

13. ChickFunk:
    All the above advice is very good - as has been said two years is a long time, invest your time and the rewards will happen.
    I did my training at HMS Sultan (stoker) and ended up going down the electrical route - I struggled big time with the mathematical theory and working out, just about to wrap my tsit in and be a clanky. Had scran, couple of beers, then sat down to try and figure out the maths and where I was going wrong.
    Hey Presto!
    The mental block just went and then no problems with the maths and a "Greenie" I became.
    Stick with it, it'll all become clear..........as mud!

Good luck,
    Al

14. Slim, I think it's just that a wealth of information (and in our case, real-time access to those in the know) is so easily available on the internet from the comfort of one's home. If the web had been around before I joined up, I might have discovered that there were WAFUs, WEs, MEs, Droggies and Pussers in the RN as well as what I called 'Deck Officers'. Mind you, I came over from the States for my AIB and didn't have a friendly ACLO down the road.

15. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

If you apply yourself during Phase 2 Training, take notes and listen to what the Instructor tells you, revise in the evening and are keen, then you shouldn't have any major issues. Trust me on this :thumright:

16. To add to the good advice from the others, remeber you are there because they do think you have the ability to pass. They are going to invest time and money in training you and don't want that wasted so will do their level best to ensure enogh of the information sticks to enable you to pass. Be positive, you will pass, it is your dream, make it happen. If you find you are having problems tell some one. There will always be some one in the class who really understands some thing, ask then to help. Always be prepared to speak to an instructor if you are having problems with a subject. Finally show you want to pass, people who really do try and show it will always be helped.

Good luck, and remember you make most of your own good luck yourself.

17. Though my comments may have sounded harsh they are given with the best of intentions. If you try you will succeed.
    One last piece of advice:

Do not be afraid to ask for something to be explained again if you did not understand it the first time. Chances are others also failed to understand but are frightened of looking stupid if they admit it.
    It's not stupid to ask for clarification.

Best of luck with part 2

18. Best of luck with your part 2's. But dont make it all work and no play - brain needs rest too. To aid you in your studies, why not get a massage as a reward for hard studying? it can be used as a reward for you and as a refresh when done.
    Stay away from the 'go out and get pi**ed every night' mentality - it wont help you out. But do go out and be sociable - offer to drive or do some sharkwatch.......

Be honest and talk throughwith your instructors. They will help if you ask - be honest and speak up for yourself

19. Bang on! Tuition in the armed forces is just about the best you are likely to get and free of the bullshit which fetters civilian instruction.
    Make the most of it.

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Am I right in assuming that the use of the thick end of a billiard cue, to stop sparkers looking at the keyboard when learning touch typing, has now been banned.

Harsh but very effective. :dwarf: