Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test

Rum_pot

Midshipman
I have my PRNC in 9 days and I can currently run my 2.4km run in 12 minutes so I would just pass but 2 days after my PRNC I start HMS Raleigh where my run time need to be 11 minutes so I am quite worryed about it as I don't have time to bring my run time down. What happens if I fail the run is it a straight discharge and will I be given a new start date if it is a discharge or would I need to reapply?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Two things; the first perhaps easier for you to hear than the second.

Firstly, unless you fail by a huge margin you will not be discharged after failing your first RNFT, but you will be under the spotlight and expected to pass on your second attempt in week 5, by which time if you still can't pass after 5 weeks of IMF you can expect to face some form of action.

Secondly, you do have time to bring your run time down because you have time to continue training. And (I'm assuming you're a male here) you absolutely should bring it down. 12 mins to complete a run I can do in 10:30 is pretty poor. I'm not a runner, I hate running, I simply do the minimum I need to keep myself physically fit. I'm also 47.

Rum_pot

Midshipman
Two things; the first perhaps easier for you to hear than the second.

Firstly, unless you fail by a huge margin you will not be discharged after failing your first RNFT, but you will be under the spotlight and expected to pass on your second attempt in week 5, by which time if you still can't pass after 5 weeks of IMF you can expect to face some form of action.

Secondly, you do have time to bring your run time down because you have time to continue training. And (I'm assuming you're a male here) you absolutely should bring it down. 12 mins to complete a run I can do in 10:30 is pretty poor. I'm not a runner, I hate running, I simply do the minimum I need to keep myself physically fit. I'm also 47.
Thanks for the information I hope I can lower it enough in that time. I have made alot of progress with my run time but my progress is slow I started 6 months with a run time of 15 minutes and have only knocked off 3 minutes it doesn't help that my job leaves my legs tired at the end of the day (I do removals alot of carrying heavy items up and down flights of stairs). Have you got any tips to make progress faster as just running the mile and a half every day not seeming to do alot.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You don't say how old you are but it does look like you are already looking for excuses. PRNC is your ONLY warning.

There is an old but worthwhile analogy. Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail.

If you are under say 23/4 that time is crap. Solution? Get off your arse between now and Raleigh.

Harsh? Yes. True? Yes.

Waspie

War Hero
You don't say how old you are but it does look like you are already looking for excuses. PRNC is your ONLY warning.

There is an old but worthwhile analogy. Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail.

If you are under say 23/4 that time is crap. Solution? Get off your arse between now and Raleigh.

Harsh? Yes. True? Yes.
Kinda what I was trying to say!!!!!!
Well put.

Waspie

War Hero
@Rumpot
Additionally. When you get to Raleigh and your in your recruitment/team!!! Whatever term they use these days. You should get a push from them. (If your working as a team).
The others should encourage you to push yourself. Just as you will need to push others if/when they struggle. Working as a team is key.
Right now your on your own, hence my earlier comment on motivation. You are the only one who can push yourself. Hence Sonar Benders comment, 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'. Just as valid today as yesterday!!
Just be positive as you come across as if you've already failed!!

Shipspotter

Badgeman
6x200m sprints/60 secs rest, I’ve knocked my run time down massively in just a month with 3 weeks still to go until PRNC and 8 until phase 1!!

I also work 13 hour shift plus have a wife and kids!! Any more excuses?

Rum_pot

Midshipman
6x200m sprints/60 secs rest, I’ve knocked my run time down massively in just a month with 3 weeks still to go until PRNC and 8 until phase 1!!

I also work 13 hour shift plus have a wife and kids!! Any more excuses?
Wasn't trying to make excuses I just suck at running. I will try doing spirits thanks for the advice. I just did a timed run today and managed to get 11:32 so I should get my run fast enough for Raleigh.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I think generally people find their time is faster once at Raleigh as they are running in a large group and that tends to encourage you on, as long as you are in the group and not lagging behind.

@Rum_pot try doing sprints not spirits
Interval training can also help.

BradyBunch

Midshipman
I have my PRNC in 9 days and I can currently run my 2.4km run in 12 minutes so I would just pass but 2 days after my PRNC I start HMS Raleigh where my run time need to be 11 minutes so I am quite worryed about it as I don't have time to bring my run time down. What happens if I fail the run is it a straight discharge and will I be given a new start date if it is a discharge or would I need to reapply?
I am 40, have been in 20 years and at times, abused my body on foreign visits/weekenders in plymouth.
I could beat you in a 2.4km race.

My advice - Crack on

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I think most of us serving can beat that time.
I have been in 29 years with the abuse that entails.
Apart from me at the moment as I have metal plates in my hip. But give me time for the surgeon to say I am fit and I will be beating that time.

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
Wasn't trying to make excuses I just suck at running. I will try doing spirits thanks for the advice. I just did a timed run today and managed to get 11:32 so I should get my run fast enough for Raleigh.
Spirits won't speed you up !!

Sumo

War Hero
I Was a prop forward, running not my thing, the navy brought in the fitness test, so I had to get of my lardy arse and pass it, which is what I did, no bells and whistle, just do it. Other option is simple fail stay a civy and regret it, your choice.

Waspie

War Hero
Most of us suck at running!! (Or did, when we had too). Why sprints? Just concentrate on passing what your poor at - running, getting your time down. You need to run 2.4k in 12 minutes. Work on that. It's not hard to do really!!
It's in old money 1.5 miles. So thats 8 minutes to complete a mile!!! Ye gods, you can almost walk a mile in that time. (I said almost). :rolleyes:
Less time on here getting advice from the oldies - more time outside running.

Latest Threads