Failing an exam phase 2, etme(sm)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jess33, Mar 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi my son in week 11 of phase 2 has failed an exam by 2 marks. He is gutted. What happens now? Just a worried parent. I have told him to study harder !!!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Most professional exams in the service are allowed a resit & he should have been advised this by his instructor. I'd be surprised if he didn't already know this.

One thing we do see as recruits near the week 26 mark of training is an increase in exam fails. Week 26 is the last "opt out" opportunity, after which they must complete their training, followed by 30 months Return of Service before they can submit 12 months notice to quit.

All being well, he will pass the resit.
  3. Thanks Ninja just received a text have not had a chance to discuss with him. He only 17 first major hiccup for him I think. I am hoping it maybe a wake up call! Although he is putting a lot of time into it. Think he seeing The Chief today. I was worried it was one stike and it's over! Just worrying because he absolutely loving it to date.
  4. It's normally 3 strikes and your out, generalising here but as Ninja says you get a re-sit, failure of that can mean back classing.

The RN has invested a lot of money in your lad to just give them the boot the first time they drop the baton.
  5. Thankyou for your answers. I hope to have a word with him today. It will maybe do him a favour and he may step up his game! He otherwise loving the life and I would hate for him to have to drop out or back class. He said some of his class may rally to help him. Hopefully speaking to the chief the day might make him feel a bit happier. God I wish as a mum he hadn't told me! We just worry more. Thanks again this site is brilliant have not been on much since his basic but it so worth while being a member.
  6. Quick question, I was told that if you are under 18 then you can give 11 or so days notice to leave anytime up until the age of 18. As Jess's son is 17 does that mean he doesn't have to give 12 months notice or any return of service, Or is that just at raliegh? I'll read the new contract again. I'm probably wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

There is an "unhappy under 18" option to leave, but due to cost, it firmly closes the door for anyone wishing to return.
  8. Oh dear, my son definitely not wanting to leave I'm hoping this is just a glitch and he will besupported to ensure a pass, waiting to hear from him later! (I hope) I am just the mother! ! !
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Easier said than done, but try not to stress too much.

Everyone is given all the support they require in order to pass and as long as all the help and advice is acted-upon, they seldom fail to achieve their goal.
  10. Thanks ninja x
  11. Just remember, the staff are there to help your son pass, they're not there to fail him. I was an instructor once, it's long process to discharge someone if they're unsuitable for the role.

As I said earlier, it's cost a lot of money to get your lad to where he is now (around £7k just to get them to Raleigh gate), the RN won't want to lose their investment.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Update - I got a phone call from one of the higher ranks (missed his title!) today. My son is now 17. He has 2 resits and on level 2 warning purely for the exams. The 1st exam resit passed the second one is next week. He in about week 17 of phase 2. Not coming home as much which I think helping the studying. The guy on the phone was really nice and my son had told me he had failed 2 and I told him to work hard. The guy said everything would be put in place to help achieve and my sons attitude is excellent! I am just worried! Do they generally phone parents? My goodness this is such a rail road. HMS Raleigh was easy compared to the worry of phase 2! Any advice would be kindly accepted!
  13. As your son is under 18, yes, they do have to inform you, in my last draft at Raleigh I looked after Phase 2 submariner trainees and was frequently on the phone to parents.

They're not there to fail him, they're there to help him (the staff that is).
  14. Was that because you were worried they were undercover and about to whistle blow?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

As a parent, all you can do is support & encourage really. He knows what he needs to do and if he wants the job enough he'll achieve the grade. The exams aren't that hard - we know they can pass because they achieved the required grade in the initial psychometric test, so he has the intellectual ability. The only thing preventing a pass is lack of preparation and/or nerves.

Remind him if he fails, you've rented his room out anyway so he'll need somewhere to live as well as finding a new job. That cheery thought should spur him on.