failing AIB and being asked back in 12 months but age critical for my branch

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Reading88, Jan 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I completed my AIB and was told that I didnt make the grade, but to come back in 12 months and try again. Whilst having my debrief I was told to seek advice from my AFCO on the next steps (which I have already started doing), my question is, as I am about 9 months from the cut off date to start training as a warfare officer, would they allow me to retake my AIB before the 12 month period is over? Does anyone know of any similar situations in the past? And is it posible to prove that you have made an effort to improve the areas you failed in and retake the AIB sooner (similar to people that fail their psychometric.

The reason I am asking is, I want to be as informed as possible on the process when I meet with the Lt at my AFCO.

Thank you.
  2. 12 months = 12 months oppo, its black and white!
  3. Yes that is what I was told, but as with many things some rules can sometimes be bent. So, I wanted to know if anybody had come across a situation like this in the past?

Also, why would I be invited back to the AIB if there was no chance of me starting training on my branch options, which the board head was aware of??
  4. Your options will be outlined at your AIB debrief at the AFCO which will be tailored to your specific circumstances. There are officer branches with higher age limits.
  5. I passed my first AIB but wasn't deleted and still had to wait twelve months to try again. I'd suggest you are more likely to get an age waiver than you are an AIB earlier than twelve months. Worth asking your AFCO about that perhaps.
  6. In what way were you not deleted? Were you expecting to be deleted having passed AIB?

Puzzled of SW France.
  7. Wannabejack, cheers for that, I didn't know about an age waiver, do you have any info on them?
    Thanks for your info. Hopefully that will be the case.

Any other opinions and info still welcome.
  8. Yes, I had applied for a secret branch that officially doesn't exist. So was hopeful that I would get selected and therefore have the identity I was born with deleted so I could carry out my duty. Every day I would check if I still existed and every day was dissapointed to see I did.
  9. Reading 88, speak to your AFCO - they will be the best person to advise you on that.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

"By the book" there are no age waivers or academic waivers unfortunately, so if a definitive answer is required, it's in the negative vernacular unfortunately.

But, as the OP rightly states, individual exceptions are occasionally heard of.

A twelve month knock-back at AIB isn't really an encouraging indicator and a "near miss" for an otherwise viable candidate would normally be given the opportunity to re-take AIB within the age constraints. A 12 month knock-back could mean, Warfare Officer no, Logs Officer maybe.

I would not be inclined to believe an age waiver would routinely be considered as they are usually only given consideration if a fully successful candidate has had to defer entry due to unforeseen medical or family issues. That said, the only person that's going to be able to advise otherwise is your ACLO at the de-brief, bearing in mind numbers required can also be an influencing factor. Be aware he/she may even advise you consider rating entry, rather than suggest a waiver is a viable proposition.

Good luck.
  11. If I were you I would definitely consider rating enty. I passed the AIB twice but didn't get selected. I reached the upper age limit so rather than just give up on my navy dream I joined as a rating instead.
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Dont want to sound harsh, but if you are getting a 12 month knock back so close to the age limit, it implies you have some fairly substantial personal development to do, and you may be too old to actually suceed in this.

What did you fail on - at least this way we can give you advice on how to improve for next time?
  13. I failed for being too nervous and skatty in my interview and then my naval knowledge was too basic (I was told to gain more naval knowledge, but this was my own fault for only learning the basics about the RN and assuming that RM, RFA and FAA questions would be negligible )on the PLT exercise I didn't finish but did okay and the planning exercise I messed up a couple of TDS calculation on the quick fire, but the participation in the planning and then the final individual presentation went well.
    My bleep test was good and my psychometric tests were slightly above average (although I don't know how much and they didn't give me any details either).

My plan of action at the moment (this might change after my AFCO debrief) is too probably do some volunteer work to try and get some more example of leadership, outside of a bar/restaurant environment, learn more than just the basic facts about the RN, RFA, RM and FAA and hopefully get a couple of visits to shore bases and ships under my belt. All in all, be a lot more prepared for the AIB and not to underestimate its difficulty again.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Okay harsh lesson coming up. you went to a job interview having failed to prepare properly for it, and then did not perform to the acceptable standards in part due to your lack of preparation. Are you sure you really want to be in the RN - BRNC is oversubscribed with people at the moment who desperately want to be in there and who've done a lot of work to get there. By contrast your own prep seems poor at best.
  15. I agree with your comments, I should have prepared more and underestimated the level of knowledge required. All I can do is make up for thatandprovemy worth at a second attempt.
    Opinions may differ to whether or not I should be granted a second attemp but, at the end of the day my goal is to become a RN warfare officer Submariner and hopefully I will become one and have a successful career within the RN.

I was highly disappointed about not pasingmy AIB, but I am not disheartened, I have learned not to underestimate intervirpews and that just having a certain skill set isn't enough. I will do a lot more prep for my second attempt and when I pass I will be better prepared for my future career.
  16. Reading88

Do you get Navy News on a regular basis?
  17. No, I don't. But I'm going to subscribe so that I can keep up to date with deployments, ships positions... As the RN website is a bit unreliable when it comes to that info (it is very inaccurate on the map showing where ships are and their missions). Luckily the navy news website is a useful source of info as are the RFA and RN fb pagespages
  18. Best single piece of advice I can give you is join the RNR, they're crying out for guys at the moment, it'll certainly boost your naval knowledge, show your commitment, have you 'on the books' already so to speak so your age might not be such a big issue. It'll also give you an idea if the navy is really for you and better prepare you for BRNC. Go in as an AB, put yourself forwards for officer and you should be able to get through regular AIB second time around. If you've already got to AIB you must have passed security clearance so you should be able get into RNR quicker than normal and if you don't get in as a regular it's a good fallback, you might not be able to make a career of it but apart from subs/flying you can do most stuff.