failing aet tests

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by saltashcal, Oct 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I have recently passed out from raleigh as an AET and i am currently at Sultan doing my training.However I am struggling a bit with the weekly tests as i seem to forget everything once the test paper has been put in front of me.I have now been told that if i fail two more tests i will be put onto subs or made to pvr neither of which i wish to undertake.Has anyone else been in this situation
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, it might be some form of exam nerves/anxiety, or perhaps if you have difficulty reading or understanding the questions, you might have some form of dyslexia? Approach your DO (or Medical Staff as necessary) to identify the problem before it gets too late, and you find yourself discharged.
  3. Thanks sgtpepperband i will see how it goes this week.I just seem to go blank as soon as i sit down to the test.I am fine afterwards and everything comes rushing back to me then,but by then its too late.The last thing i want to do is be discharged.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No probs. Let us know how you get on... good luck!
  5. Sgtpepperband is right, get the problem sorted out before it's too late. That means seeking professional help and guidance.

As for being discharged I've heard a few scenarios of what might happen if you fail AET training; one is you get sent home, rejoin, and start AET training all over again, another is you're discharged from AET training with the option of training for another branch you're more sutied to. Now I'm sure I stand to be corrected here with the above statements but I believe I heard them in the AFCO or maybe even on this board.

Also, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm going to be doing AET training myself and I'm curious to know what it's been like for you, minus the exam anxiety of course.
  6. That's where saltashcal came in - PVR (premature voluntary release = "going outside" of his own free will) or "subs" (meaning boats, of course).
    Marine Engineering (Submarines) is a solid career for any Engineering Technician. What's wrong with boats?
  7. lol, thanks for clearing that up scabz.

I agree that submarines is a great career choice. If I failed AET training and they offered me subs I don't think I'd complain. Everyone is different though.
  8. Helios, I am rather enjoying my phase 2 training at HMS Sultan but i just struggle with the exams and learning everything again, just like school! It is a very interesting subject and is very challenging...maybe just a little to challenging for me at present. Hopefully i will overcome the anxiety and get through my phase 2 training, i will keep you posted!
  9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site SaltashCal,
    By the sounds of it you are suffering from exam anxiety, this is purely due to pressure that you are putting on yourself although I appreciate your problem as I used to suffer badly myself. If you aren't careful it will get worse, a few things to think about which may help. Get a routine, you know when your exams are so try to relax the evening before and get a good nights sleep, do some revision with your mates, don't lock yourself away getting more and more stressed. Have a good breakfast on the day of your tests and do not drink coffee/ tea before hand. These are all simple things but tried and tested.

Now aside from that a few facts, if you do fail your AET training it is not in the interest of the RN to kick you out, they may well decide another branch is more suited. If you don't have a mechanical aptitude but are otherwise suited for RN life you will be offered a branch transfer, this may not be a bad thing, if you truly are unsuited to the AET branch think how difficult phase 2a/b training is going to get. You will be discharged if your training staff decide you are generally unsuited ie, your kits a load of crap, you are undisciplined etc

Keep your chin up and carry on working hard, show a good attitude and if need be get some help, the padre is, believe it or not, normally a good bloke to visit re stress related problems, he/she may be able to help with relaxation techniques. Have a good think, are you really suited to an engineering discipline, it's not for everyone. Good luck and remember exam stress is merely the pressure you are putting on yourself, sounds simple I know but try not getting so wound up over the test.
  10. onchieftiff surely not as badly as to faint in your trade test circa 1989.

Do they not back class anymore to give AET`s a second chance. Seems like they need to reintroduce AEM`s, I would rather have a conscientious mechanically gifted AET/M doing flight servicing, rather than an academically gifted rating who cannot remenber to refit the oil filler cap.
  11. chieftiff

Thankfully that wasn't me, I was a late starter and didn't go on Tiffs course until 1998 by which time I was already a POAEM!

I agree by the way, I'm not a fan of the current system in fact I think it's a step backwards. Still as we know it will all come around again, and again!
  12. Cheers Cheiftiff, ill take all that onboard.
  13. chieftiff

No problem, read my PM as well.
  14. I'm very interested in this - are you actually saying that if you fail the exams, you will be given the submarine service. In other words, it's being used as a stick or a threat - "If you fail, you will go to boats". Are you telling me that that is what was actually said? Or was the conversation more sort of "Right then, young man. Clearly you are having a problem. Now, if things do not improve we'll have some serious choices to make. If you wish to remain in the RN, we might be able to get you on to submarines. It's that or outside".

Please tell me it was that ...feel free to PM me...seriously. I want to know.