Failed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Don87, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today I passed my medical, and then failed my interview afterwards.
    Was initially devastated, but have now took on board the points made to me and the areas I need to improve.

9 whole months wait until WO Recruitdude phones back though :(

p.s Looking forward to the old grumpy members club starting their bashing. Go on kick a guy while he is down!

2. As someone once said, where there's Crosby, there's Hope. Act on the feedback points and better luck next time.

3. Ah well mate, it's not a big deal, you can do it again =]

Keep at it and you'll get in

Good luck in the future though :)

4. Be consoled. 28 years ago I passed my interview in Blackheath Recruitment Office to be a Junior Medical Technician and failed my medical (for boats: when I grew up/completed training) at Haslar. :sad2: I've never recovered my composure since :biggrin: Damn: I never got my paws on all those nice sailors! ;)

5. Don't worry too much matey.

I had passed my interview, and was in the careers office waiting to sit my entrance exam, when they asked if i had any court appearances pending.

Errmmmmm. Well, yes. But only for careless driving. Didn't even have to appear in court. But, no! That wasn't going to do at all. They wouldn't let me take the exam. I had to wait 18months. But, thing was it was what i wanted to do. So, i waited and stuck it out. I almost ended up i a Kibbutz. Dont fecking ask!

The time you have to wait won't be long. It'll go quick. Get fitter. Go travelling, do anything. you'll be too busy in 9 months time.

GH

6. keep ya chin up and dont worry about it you canonly get better i think the interview phase is the most nerve racking of them all

ull pass next time im sure u will jus dont let it get to u

7. As stated by yourself and others, act on the points raised and I am sure that the next time around you'll "sail" through. Keep your chin up and keep your eyes firmly on the prize.

All the best

T42

8. The person who has never known failure will never appreciate success.
    It is all experience when alls said and done. :)

9. Nice bit of wisdom there! I like it!

As has been said, take on board where you went wrong, and come back better the next time! Many people have been there before and many will be in the same situation in the future. All the best.

10. And I was all geared up for some abuse...

Thanks for the comments though. Genuinely appreciated.

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Don, yer a fiesty cnut who failed on my birthday, that wont happen twice. get p1ssed for a week then come back.

12. Don't lose hart keep trying all the best you will make it. If you really are committed.

13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

We aint gonna hit you we're gonna help you.

14. Feck me Blobbs you soft cnut! :thumright:
    Hard luck Don, use the time constructively, get a course or two under your belt if you can ie Sailing/Coastal Navigation/First Aid that sort of thing (Usually available at Night Schools, ask at your local friendly Public Library for details) not only keeps your mind ticking over but looks good on the CV and at your interview.
    Not so grumpy old bastard NZB :dwarf:

15. I'm curious; how can you fail the interview?

Mine was a chat about who I am, and what I wanted from the RNR and what I was prepared to give back in return.. lasted about 30mins.

Is it different these days?

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don87

I'd be inclined to look at it as a second opportunity to prove your worth. Many companies will just say Yes or No, at least you have the chance to improve, consolidate & prepare.

If it's any consolation, I got knocked-back when I went to join first attempt. Fortunately my Careers Adviser was a wiser man than I & allowed me the opportunity to mature & gave me another chance. Truth is if I interviewed "myself" as I was then, I doubt I'd have invited myself back!

There's one hell of a lot of reasons someone may be found unsuitable at interview, but it's worth emphasising that there's no such thing as a list of correct answers. The old adage: "You only get one chance to make a first impression" still apply.

I'll give a few examples which should be enough to get the gist.

Personally, you're not impressing if you're late, unkempt, chewing gum or ill-prepared.

Other examples of possible grounds for an unsuccessful interview are as follows:

Insufficient determination to complete a course of training. (could
    include ex-servicemen who have previously failed training)

A poor attitude to authority and the civil police and would rather
    obstruct than help them to carry out their duties.

If the person is unwilling to work as indicated in poor school reports, job records
    or references or if sacked from a number of jobs or has left without good
    reason.

Not demonstrating the physical ability required for training.

Indifference to and no enthusiasm for his job.

Someone who has never lived away from home, has never experienced
    being apart from their family and has given little thought to it.

No outside interests or activities.

Clear signs that he has failed to adapt to
    changing circumstances or to cope with stress and it seems unlikely that this
    has changed.

Had poor relationships with authority, May have had an extremely poor truancy record.

If likely to react adversely to Service discipline especially during
    training.

Unspent offences.

Evidence of dishonesty, wilful disobedience or
    law-breaking.

An ‘Undischarged’ Bankrupt.

If deliberately evasive during interview and it is felt that
    information is being withheld ie: dishonest.

Contrary to what people may advise, honesty at interview is by far the best method. If someone has committed a transgression it would probably be viewed more favourably if they demonstrated remorse rather than indignation.

There's no hidden agenda, but if you're found to be economical with the truth, it is obviously not going to get you too many Brownie points.

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, it seems ironic that the Careers Service require recruits to be squeaky clean, yet the Mob allows a substantial matelots to demonstrate many of those characteristics above once they have joined up... 8O :oops: :wink:

18. Ninja,

Wow, I never thought of it that way. Most of those I'd associate with not being suitable for military life, such as unspent offences or looking like a bag of sh*te, but the never lived away from home one did surprise me.

Thanks for your post; gives me a new perspective.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are more reasons, but one of the most difficult ones to deal with is if an immediate member of the family has a life-threatening condition.

Often the individual wants to join to make the family proud, but the last place they should be is away from the family at such times. It's not nice having to defer someone under those circumstances. You do come across quite a few similar 'heart-breakers' & come out thinking how lucky you are in life.

20. Oh my god
    Thanks for that Ninja

Im abit iffy on a few of those like attendance...

But i know the others are fine =]

[Im reading to much into this considering i still dont have a date for my interview yet]