Failed the medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Nolly888, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, had my medical at the weekend and failed due to the fact I have low arches in my feet. I only found out a couple of months ago so now i were insoles. The doctor advised me to appeal but is there any point? It clearly states no shoe peripherals... Absolutely gutted. Also, would i have the same problem if I tried for the RFA??
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Of course you would still have the same problem, why would going for the RFA make your feet less flat?
  3. I wouldn't have thought there was much point appealing I'm afraid.

I don't know what the RFA medical standards are - sorry.
  4. What I meant to say is do the RFA have the same strict rules on the medical or not?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Again, not a Doctor, but so far as I'm aware the RFA has wider medical parameters in line with Board of Trade requirements rather than the more stringent military medical standards for entry. Whether this applies with regard your specific condition, I'm not sure, but it may be worth a shot. Good luck.
  6. Thanks a lot, been planning this since I was 14 and I ain't got a clue what to do now haha cheers for the help though!
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I am fairly sure that you can improve your feet shape and the hight of your arches through a consistent programme of foot strengthening excercises. I had a collapsed arch following an accident and being out of action for some months and used a series of excercises including lots of calf raises using resistance bands to build my foot back up and lift the arch.
    I know that there is a general trend of flatter feet due to lots of people spending the majority of their time in poor footwear.
    I am no expert, but this may be worth while looking into, particularly if you are quite young.
    You would need some expert advice, in person, to advise you on if this was possible and what excercises would benefit you.
  9. I'm 20 and 2 of my uncles have had the same fate as me but one actually discharged as he didn't declare it. So it's a genetic thing that iv'e had all my life so not so sure. But I'm going to see my GP see if there is anything possible. Not letting this dream die! Haha cheers for all the help guys
  10. You can get supports and braces and stuff to correct it, but that doesn't work so well if you have stopped growing