failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by josa, May 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey there would a GP-doctor need to medically dismiss you from an illness.? years ago he medically claimed that my partner had Gilbert's syndrome [2006] but my partner said the last time he went to visit another doctor under him that he said he could just have a spout of Ibs Instead but due to this the r.n.s have declined his medical and application into r.n.s under p8 due to not being in the medical golden hour but on the actual NHs website states some of the following

Other than inheriting the faulty gene, there are no known risk factors for developing Gilbert's syndrome. It isn't related to lifestyle habits, environmental factors or serious underlying liver problems, such as cirrhosis or hepatitis C. Gilbert’s syndrome is a lifelong disorder. However, it doesn't require treatment because it doesn't pose a threat to health and doesn't cause complications you don't usually need to seek medical advice during an episode of jaundice, unless you have additional or unusual symptoms. would this along with a doctors note from his Gp backing it up be enough for him to appeal his medical? I actually think it would help him control it more with a well balanced diet and staying healthy due to fitness within this line of work. Kind regards Sarah andjohn

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. @nemesis1066 or @angrydoc

I have a appointment with my doctor tomorrow and was wondering what would i need to ask and need him to do to put in a letter so i can send it to appeal the decision as with the P8 I wasn't put through for the medical check but because i mentioned that i had it in my formal interview i was P8 there and then which i found a bit OTT i my opinion as i find now its not affecting me at all and if they would have put me through for the medical they would see i'm physically and mentally fit.

John

4. Ninja_Stoker

Always two sides to these type of issue, so it is difficult for anyone to give definitive advice without being in possession of the full facts. Very often we would advise a candidate to obtain copies of their full medical history relating to a declared condition to avoid delays at the medical examination.

It may well be that your AFCO checked with the RN Medical Manager regarding a specific voluntarily declared medical condition, prior to advising likely medical suitability.

If you haven't actually had a medical examination, I'd be inclined to call your AFCO and request you are still forwarded for the medical examination if you doubt the correct decision was made, despite their best advice, once you have copies of your medical records.

You can only appeal against medical suitability for service if a medical professional has formally declared you unfit for service.

5. Well from the doctors visit yesterday he has sent me for my bloods to be done just to check to see if the slight rise in my Belarubin count is still a little bit high or magically I've been cured. But I've also found out that due to my Gilbert's syndrome not being serious that it has not been coded my medical records due to as the doctor said to me it's something that's not that serious to need being coded in my records.

So what it is he had said once the bloods are back just so they can be checked he has said that I can have my notes after that how should I go about talking to my AFCO person who done my application and what should I say ?

Many thanks

John

6. Ninja_Stoker

Once you have all your supporting evidence together, just give your AFCO a call and state that you were knocked back at the interview stage due to a declared pre-existing medical condition. Tell them you now have the evidence required in support of your medical suitability and ask to be booked onto a medical examination so that the Medical Examiner may determine your medical suitability one way or the other.

Trouble is, unless you actually have a medical examination and are knocked-back by the doctor, there is nothing to actually appeal against.