Failed RT - What next?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 88chrisb, Oct 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Excuse me for the newbie question but here goes...

I failed my RT on Tuesday as my maths wasn't up to scratch - I managed to pass the other sections with flying colours but I'm afraid my maths gremlins caught up with me. I had been applying as an officer candidate so the requirements were always going to be high.

I was given a few choices by the recruiting officer as to what to do next. As you can imagine, I was told to get some tutoring/go on a course and re-apply in 6-12 months.

However, one thing I didn't consider at the time was going in as a rating. Just out of curiosity what is the likelihood of me being accepted if I went back and asked if I could join as a rating? Would I need to re-sit my RT or would they be able to pull some strings and allow me to join?

I'm very willing to take the step down from Officer as I just want to get into a solid career and I know I have the potential to be promoted in the future.

If anyone can give me some sort of advice It'll be greatly received. :)
  2. Straight down to your nearest college of knowledge and sign up for a GCSE maths course.
    Sit the exam and when you achieve a grade C or above then try again
  3. Wot Slim said.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The recruiting test is the same for Officers & ratings & the rules for re-taking the test the same.

Generally during the debrief, the Careers Adviser will list the alternative trades available as a Rating if you don't make the grade for Officer as well as suggesting a retake at 6 months if in full time education, or 12 months if not.

If you didn't make the grade for Ratings trades either, then 6 months of tuition doesn't bode well for aspirations to become an Officer the short-term & maybe Rating is a more realistic aspiration to pursue.

If you were offered alternative Rating trades, then a re-sit for Officer is a viable proposition.

No strings need to be pulled, plaited or knotted if you wish to be a Rating & scored high enough, you just tell the AFCO that's your choice & crack-on or ask them what, if any, ratings trades are available for your score.

It isn't so much a downward step from Officer really - it depends whether you want to do the job 'hands-on' which is what ratings do, or supervise those that do the manual aspect of the job- which is what Officers do for the most part, with the exception of Doctors, Nursing Officers, Pilots, Observers & Information Systems Officers, to name but a few.

Good luck.