Failed RN Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by M3G, Jan 28, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. M3G

M3G Midshipman

Hey, So basically I had my medical in December last year, I was told because I had an operation on my hip he couldn't pass me and would have to get my medical records from my GP, they did get my records and a couple of days ago it was sent to a doctor for a paper review, and today I got a phone call saying that I'm not fit for service. I was told I could appeal, which I'm going to do.
    In my medical forms it says I had Congenital Hip Dislocation, yes I did have a dislocated hip at birth, and when I was 2 years old and now I'm 17 , I had an operation to fix this and had went for check ups for a few years and I was cleared ages ago. I feel with whats on my medical records isn't enough to explain what actually happened.
    I really want to win this appeal, but I'm not sure if this a difficult thing to do, and if anyone has any advice, that would be great
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Very often, the reason people do not pass the medical examination is because GP surgeries provide the bare minimum with regard detail.

The thing to remember is some conditions are an outright bar & an appeal is not going to alter anything. If the AFCO medical examiner inferred an appeal to overturn the decision was realistic & feasible, then you need to take your time and get a strong case.

Presumably the issue is risk of repeat dislocations when undergoing the rigours of training & during service life. What you need is the full medical details of the initial incident, the full details of the corrective surgery with, ideally, a covering letter from the surgeon detailing details of the procedure, the rehabilitation and the outcome. What would also help is a letter from your GP to confirm there was no limitations, recurrence, or complications after the surgery.

It does help if you submit a training diary, covering a lengthy period of rigorous daily exercise to demonstrate you are fully fit and prepared to undergo the rigours of training and beyond.

The evidence should be as detailed and comprehensive as possible.

To submit an appeal, all you need do is write a brief, polite and short covering letter stating your name, date of birth, date of medical examination and medical review. All you need do is state you wish to appeal the medical decision and enclose the supporting evidence for review, then post it to your careers adviser. Do not go into any detail surrounding the medical issue, leave that to the medical experts.

Be aware aware an appeal can take a few months, so be patient & keep your training diary going.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. M3G

M3G Midshipman

Thanks for replying!
    I did see my medical records and they didn't include enough information and I'll definitely try and build a strong case, I really hope the evidence I gather is enough to prove them I am fine.
    I hope I'm lucky and win the appeal but I've heard that it can be quite difficult to do so, but thanks so much for the advice :)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. M3G

M3G Midshipman

I appreciate that ninja replied to me with advice on how to go about appealing my medical, but I was wondering @angrydoc if you could give me any information about Congenital Hip Dislocation, I was wondering if its is an outright bar? I can't seem to find anything online saying it is, but they failed me anyway, just curious if you would know?
  5. If you look on the questionnaire there is a little list of things that are bars to entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 1
  7. M3G

M3G Midshipman

I've been looking for something like that for a while, but that clears it up, I will just have to get evidence I've had an active childhood.

Thanks again for your help :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd imagine the more supporting evidence you can produce, the stronger your case - swimming certificates, membership/certificates of sporting achievement, such as gymnastics, martial arts, cross-country, football, netball, athletics clubs, etc., will certainly help.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. M3G

M3G Midshipman

The thing is I have been active as a child as in I've been mostly running since I was younger and I've been doing weights as I got older, but I haven't got any sporting certificates proving anything. I do have a Personal Trainer, so do you think it would be worth getting a letter from her stating what I've been able to do and how I've had no problem doing so?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

A long-term training diary would certainly help. Supporting independent medical evidence likewise.

Basically you need to have plenty of evidence that suggests you will not have problems in training. Consider undertaking a half marathon perhaps, a Tough mudder, maybe enter into a local triathlon. As stated, take your time, get the evidence together and produce a convincing case so that it hopefully goes your way.

You only get one chance to appeal, so make it count. Don't try to do minimums and hope it is enough, do maximums and leave no shadow of a doubt.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. M3G

M3G Midshipman

Yeah I'll definitely create a long term training diary.
    I got a letter stating that I only have six months to get everything sent away, so if I was to take a couple months and train for events, do you think British Military Fitness would go for anything? and even though I've had an active childhood I just dont have much to show for it, so I will really have to get a lot of stuff together.

Hopefully what I get it enough,
    Thanks again
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Yep BMF are generally pretty good, hopefully they can produce a letter to say you've been regularly attending phys session without limitations.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. M3G

M3G Midshipman

Okay dokey, that's great!
    Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it! :)