Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed medical

beans123

Midshipman
Hi, I had my medical a few days ago and I passed everything, but I failed due to my heart rate being too high (which I believe was higher because I was nervous) my main worry now is that my entry date gets delayed as I’m supposed to be starting next month, and I know that captia takes a while to review medical records. I’ve been checked out by my GP and everything is fine. Any advice that anybody has on how I can keep my start date I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Commiserations Beans.

Firstly - this is an UNofficial RN site and at the moment there are no 'active' Docs or AFCO pe4rsonnel here. I'm a First Aider, but sadly that doesn't help!

Get onto your AFCO now, THIS INSTANT if they are still open. If not first thing Monday.

There is such a thing as 'white coat blood pressure' where people's blood pressure, pulse etc rises as they are nervous of the event - this may be your problem.

Let us know the outcome - good luck (hope you have chosen God's path to be a submariner!)

beans123

Midshipman
Commiserations Beans.

Firstly - this is an UNofficial RN site and at the moment there are no 'active' Docs or AFCO pe4rsonnel here. I'm a First Aider, but sadly that doesn't help!

Get onto your AFCO now, THIS INSTANT if they are still open. If not first thing Monday.

There is such a thing as 'white coat blood pressure' where people's blood pressure, pulse etc rises as they are nervous of the event - this may be your problem.

Let us know the outcome - good luck (hope you have chosen God's path to be a submariner!)
Thanks for the reply! I know that my CA finished for the Christmas holidays today, I’m guessing that means the AFCO will be closed too? I’m a relatively fit/healthy person like I’ve played football for years so I know that there’s nothing wrong with my heart and I have the medical notes to back it up, but I was TMU before with a knee injury and that took 4 months, and I’m just worried it will take that long again, plus I heard that was actually quite quick in terms of Captia reviewing records. I actually choose to go surface fleet but somewhere down the line I plan to switch to make the best out of the opportunity!

crash_evans

War Hero
Commiserations Beans.

This. You will need to see a medical professional. It’s a known thing apparently. Anxiety before performance. My Mrs knows all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
Thanks for the reply! I know that my CA finished for the Christmas holidays today, I’m guessing that means the AFCO will be closed too? I’m a relatively fit/healthy person like I’ve played football for years so I know that there’s nothing wrong with my heart and I have the medical notes to back it up, but I was TMU before with a knee injury and that took 4 months, and I’m just worried it will take that long again, plus I heard that was actually quite quick in terms of Captia reviewing records. I actually choose to go surface fleet but somewhere down the line I plan to switch to make the best out of the opportunity!
Are you a Doctor?

If not then you don't know for definite!! Seriously, a slightly different scenario, BUT. When I went through my aircrew selection medical, many of us thought we were the dogs danglers. Fit as f*! Well fit. over a third failed due to unknown heart conditions. That is an extreme example. But it was only picked up by a full ECG.

However, that said, don't dispair. If you're put back a while, it's a long life. What is a month or two getting things right. Frustrating but stay with it. You have said yourself. TMU, - Temporary. Not the end.

Good luck and stay with it. Keep in touch with AFCO.

beans123

Midshipman
No of course I don’t know for certain, but I have been checked by my GP and with the testing they have done there’s nothing wrong with my heart. I know there isn’t really much difference in a couple of months but I’d still quite like to keep my start date but I do know it’s not the end of day. Do you know it there anything I can to speed things up on captias end?

Waspie

War Hero
No of course I don’t know for certain, but I have been checked by my GP and with the testing they have done there’s nothing wrong with my heart. I know there isn’t really much difference in a couple of months but I’d still quite like to keep my start date but I do know it’s not the end of day. Do you know it there anything I can to speed things up on captias end?
Re speeding anything up. You're in Capita's hands and even God doesn't/can't intervene!!!! That said, keep on at them, don't let them forget you exist and good luck. Now, just enjoy Christmas, come back refreshed and even more determined!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mick1199 F2F medical failed due to hearing - re-test in a month Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F Failed the medical, what now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
AndyStano Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
alexb123 Failed Medical!!! Health & Fitness 32
N Failed the medical Health & Fitness 10
C Failed my Medical - Need some advice Health & Fitness 18
mitchman1 failed medical - waiting time on hold ???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
lewismansell Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Failed Medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Failed RAF Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS 7-year ban for caterer who failed to pay taxes MoD News 0
P What I can do after the SC failed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
MoD_RSS Commission finds trustees failed to protect charity from founder who misused funds MoD News 0
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7