Failed medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lol, Jun 2, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lol

Lol Midshipman

i failed my medical due to braces
    I know this is only short term delay they should be off in about six months
    I am going for a medical assistant and have been told it could be a year wait
    My question is why can't I be on the waiting list now as this will delay my application further
  2. Try a belt.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Must admit, it does seem a bit woolly.

The rules on ongoing orthodontal treatment depend upon what stage of treatment you have reached, as I understand it. I'll do a bit of digging for you as I seem to recall there were changes afoot due to the fact the RN now employed an orthodontist.

If you can bear with me, I'll see what I can find out hopefully tomorrow or early next week
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I prefer braces, your trousers hang so much better.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lol

Lol Midshipman

6. Lol

Lol Midshipman

Did you have any joy with finding out any thing else on this I can't seem to find anything
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My understanding is fixed braces remain a bar, but removable retainers are OK.

The wait for MA is currently 20 months, MA(SM) - 7 months - for those applying today.

The good news is your test date starts the clock, so although those completing the recruit test after you, passing the medical and PJFT before you will have an entry date requested ahead of you...When you pass medical and PJFT, you will go to the top of the "awaiting allocation" list - ahead of all those not yet allocated a start date, but who passed the recruit test after you.

What they cannot do is displace a person already allocated an entry date, or hold a place in the allocation list because you could fail other selection elements/aspects before a place can be requested. That said, those who are on the "awaiting allocation" list, at the very top, are the people most likely to get a phonecall advising of a short-notice vacancy arising because someone already allocated can no longer join in a couple of weeks. This happens quite frequently for reasons such as illness, injury, bereavement, changes in family circumstances, pregnacy, financial difficulties, pending court appearances, partner pressure, 'will miss dog too much', etc., you name it.

Hopefully that makes sense. I need a lie down after trying to explain that one ;)
    • Like Like x 1