Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical?

Ray1218

Midshipman
Hey guys
Basically, I failed my medical back in April due to back pain and headaches. Now that I have waited a few months I have been able to get medical evidence that has given me the all clear for my back and I am only a few months shy of being 2 years free of headaches which is required by the medical standards. I was wondering since I now meet the medical standards/ given all clear of past diagnosis what the best course of action would be? would it be worth contacting my AFCO and seeing if I am allowed to redo my medical or is the only thing that I can do on my current application is appeal the PMU result. I think the easiest option would to just reapply and redo a full medical but i would just like to avoid starting the whole process again if i can.
Any help appreciated
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To be passed fit following Migraine usually requires proof of being a couple of years treatment and symptom-free. A letter from the GP usually suffices.

Recurrent or long-term (chronic) lower back pain which has required repeated periods off work or education and repeated courses of painkillers and/or physio is technically an outright bar. In order to be passed fit for recurrent back pain, the service entry medical cell will usually require a lengthy period (a couple of years or more, possibly) during which the individual has no problems (verified by GP) and proof of full recovery involving a prolonged training diary including regular impact CV (running) over a continuous period and exercises involving lifting and or carrying weight (NOT running with weight).

You could write to the sender of the medical rejection letter to enquire under what, if any, future circumstances you could re-apply and meet the medical standards for entry.

Best of luck - don't give up. If you can appeal, once the stated timescales and requirements are met, a high percentage succeed.

Ray1218

Midshipman
To be passed fit following Migraine usually requires proof of being a couple of years treatment and symptom-free. A letter from the GP usually suffices.

Recurrent or long-term (chronic) lower back pain which has required repeated periods off work or education and repeated courses of painkillers and/or physio is technically an outright bar. In order to be passed fit for recurrent back pain, the service entry medical cell will usually require a lengthy period (a couple of years or more, possibly) during which the individual has no problems (verified by GP) and proof of full recovery involving a prolonged training diary including regular impact CV (running) over a continuous period and exercises involving lifting and or carrying weight (NOT running with weight).

You could write to the sender of the medical rejection letter to enquire under what, if any, future circumstances you could re-apply and meet the medical standards for entry.

Best of luck - don't give up. If you can appeal, once the stated timescales and requirements are met, a high percentage succeed.
Thanks very much
I was never off school/work for my back and didn’t take any medicine, I only had one series of physio ans that was 7 years ago. I have already seen my doctor and been given letter of full recovery aswell as accumulated a CV of my fitness signed by my PT.
I haven’t got a letter from GP regarding my head yet just that I’m near 2 years free on my medical history so I will chase that up and try my luck at appealing.

Cheers
Ray

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 2
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F Failed the medical, what now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
AndyStano Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
alexb123 Failed Medical!!! Health & Fitness 32
N Failed the medical Health & Fitness 10
C Failed my Medical - Need some advice Health & Fitness 18
mitchman1 failed medical - waiting time on hold ???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
lewismansell Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Failed Medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Failed RAF Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
S Failed AIB to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5